Bleeding a Hdravac on a 63 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleeding a Hdravac on a 63 Hawk

I am going to change the Hdravac on a 63 Hawk can I just bleed the Hydravac it's a disc brake car, and they only have one bleeder, has anyone done this before?

Just bleeding the Hydrovac should work fine.
    Tim K.
    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Not real sure what you mean by "JUST" bleed the hydovac? If you mean NOT the wheels, air is air, once it enters the system no matter where, it has to be removed because it will move around and you cannot have ANY air in the system for dependable braking.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich is right on, you will need to bleed the whole system

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

On my GT I have installed two disc brake Hydrovacs this year (don't ask) and it was only nessacary to bleed the Hydro-vac. Russ Farris
          1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Not real sure what you mean by "JUST" bleed the hydovac? If you mean NOT the wheels, air is air, once it enters the system no matter where, it has to be removed because it will move around and you cannot have ANY air in the system for dependable braking.
            Well, yeah, I suppose we should all do EVERYTHING all the time and be real thorough about it too! Fact is that the hydrovac is at the top of the system. Where would air go if it had the chance? I think it would go up.
            I guess what we should talk about is how to make the choice about what to bleed and when to stop bleeding. If the pedal is hard when first depressed after sitting for, what, an hour or so and doesn't stop at the same foot pressure in a higher place on the second pump, then you are good to go. Squishy pedals or pedals that 'rise' on the second pump need more bleeding. Right guys?
            Tim K.
            \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

These are tougher to bleed than one might think. There is a trick on which valve to open first, etc. I just posted this question on the technical forum page a couple of weeks ago and received a very detailed, excellent reply that worked perfectly. You might wanted to look at the posting under that forum. It was for the power booster on my 58 Packard sedan. I wish I could find the link, but can't. Here is another helpful link.

Comment

Working...
              X