Good cleaner/stuck heater valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good cleaner/stuck heater valve

Hey yall, just want to relate what I did tonight. My Hawk's heater valve was stuck a little open, so I was slowly getting broiled as I drove. That got old..might be a Texan, don't like the heat Anyway, I pulled the offending valve off, and realised right there that it was REALLY stuck. First thing I noticed was some crud buildup inside, plus the previous owner, or the one before, had painted over the valve!! Nice. I put it in a container and liberally sprayed it inside and out with Dawn Power Dissolver. Let me tell ya'll about this degreaser. It is the ONLY thing I have found that will take off years of baked on castor oil residue off a model airplane engine. Baked on castor is almost impossible to clean without a very caustic cleaning solution. The DPD attacks baked on grease like there's no tomorrow, and it doesn't kill brain cells in the process. You spray it on, wait 15 minutes or so, and wash it off under warm water. I figured that it might work on the valve. Now, DPD WILL attack some paints, but in this case it was a blessing. I was able to strip off all the old paint, plus a good layer of varnish/crud, in 2 applications. I then soaked the valve with a little WD40, cleaned it off, and heated it with a heat gun. I let i cool, tried to move the plunger, it was still stuck, then I repeated the process, and VOILA!!..she moved a bit. Once I got a little movement from the plunger I had it licked, a little more work and it moved freely. I reinstalled the valve, and it seems to be working properly, might need to adjust the OFF side as I think it's still slightly cracked open, but it's close. I can slide the control to heat, and using the demister for a heat check (blower motor on the main heater is inop) I can get almost no heat at cool and pretty warm at full heat. I'm happy!!
    Cash

Hi, where do I get this stuff? I've never heard of it. Is this like an oven degreaser? Long ago I used to use MR MUSSELL oven degreaser because it was the only one that would take off burned on oil on eng. blocks and intake manifolds without having to use heat. I can't find it anymore. I figure it was something the EPA didn't like,so they had to stop making it. Either that or it just isn't allowed in Ca. anymore. Always looking for good cleaning chemicals. Thanks for the post. Brian

Comment

I get DPD at Walmart, I think Tom Thumb and maybe Krogers carries it too. It's in the same section as the dishwashing and kitchen cleaners.
      Cash
      Last edited by Cash; 07-27-2010, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Good tip, Cash! Thanks.
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

you may find that the little rubber bit is still leaking, but what you did needed to be done anyway... the rubber piece is available from your FLAPS, although you have to be real careful with the "ears" when you take the valve apart.

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Mine was really stuck on my 51 Champion, but I removed it and took a chance on C-L-R, the stuff you de-gunk faucets with. It worked great to free up the valve and other moving parts, though it won't help the rubber. It also worked great to take the layers of scale from inside the heater hose elbow on the water pump, and heater hose T-fittings.

Regards,
            Clarence in Virginia Beach

Comment

Thanks Cash, I'll look for it. Brian

Comment

Little update..took the Hawk to the grocery store yesterday, got her up 180 degrees, the heater core under the seat was nice and "cool" (cab temperature). Works as advertised!!
                Cash

Comment

We used to be able to get DPD in any grocery in California. Then it just vanished overnight. I think the eco-nazis got wind of a good product and had it ditched. I loved the stuff for a wide variety of uses, including cleaning greasy parts.

Ah, well... I guess that's the price of living in the People's Republic of California.
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                  X