Lark type prices going up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark type prices going up?

Seems that way with some of the recent auction results. You may recall that clean green 66 Daytona that sold a few weeks ago on Ebay that was located here in Canada. Well, a friend of mine bought it using buy it now and has had some serious offers from folks (one overseas) who want to give him more than he paid for it! He hasn't even brought it home yet! Looks like he'll be keeping it for the time being. I look forward to seeing it "in the flesh"
    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Have him beware of scams....
    I get nervous when I hear of overseas buyers offering money for a car they just saw on ebay.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I get nervous when I hear of overseas buyers offering money for a car they just saw on ebay.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Yeah, smells of Scamsville. HOWEVER.... If I WANTED to resell it, there'd be NO ifs ands or buts about me having the FULL, CLEARED FUNDS in my control before I'd sign over the papers or let the car move from my driveway.[}]
        Just seems phony that folks would up the ante when they obviously SAW it on ebay and didn't bid.[8]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yeah, smells of Scamsville. HOWEVER.... If I WANTED to resell it, there'd be NO ifs ands or buts about me having the FULL, CLEARED FUNDS in my control before I'd sign over the papers or let the car move from my driveway.[}]
          Just seems phony that folks would up the ante when they obviously SAW it on ebay and didn't bid.[8]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bigsy,

I do not know about this specific auction, but it could be a case where a number of people were watching the auction and someone hit the BIN to end it early, leaving the others empty handed.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Bigsy,

I do not know about this specific auction, but it could be a case where a number of people were watching the auction and someone hit the BIN to end it early, leaving the others empty handed.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Todd,

Are lark prices now going up because you sold me your 64 lark? <G>

Kent

Comment

Todd,

Are lark prices now going up because you sold me your 64 lark? <G>

Kent

Comment

Biggs,

Even IF the funds would clear, I still wouldn't do any deal with anyone who won't personally come pick the car up themselves. Scammers actually steal legitimate checks and change the amount, or they put routing numbers on fake checks so that even though the bank may "clear" the funds, the truth is that it's still not hit the imaginary bank that's on the other side of the planet. Eventually it would come back, and you'd discover just how uncleared those cleared funds actually are.

I know people who learned that lesson the hard way. I'm thankful to say I'm not one of them, but still, it stands to serve as a warning; be skeptical of anyone who's not able to pick the car up in person and pay with cash.

--------
                    Restoring my grandfather's '60 Lark, one rusted bolt at a time.

Maple Lake, Minnesota
                    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Biggs,

Even IF the funds would clear, I still wouldn't do any deal with anyone who won't personally come pick the car up themselves. Scammers actually steal legitimate checks and change the amount, or they put routing numbers on fake checks so that even though the bank may "clear" the funds, the truth is that it's still not hit the imaginary bank that's on the other side of the planet. Eventually it would come back, and you'd discover just how uncleared those cleared funds actually are.

I know people who learned that lesson the hard way. I'm thankful to say I'm not one of them, but still, it stands to serve as a warning; be skeptical of anyone who's not able to pick the car up in person and pay with cash.

--------
                      Restoring my grandfather's '60 Lark, one rusted bolt at a time.

Maple Lake, Minnesota
                      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                        Interesting you should say this. I recently put my 63 Daytona Convertible up for sale on Cars-On-Line.com and within 24 hours had an inquiry from overseas. After a couple of back and forth emails with this chap, he proposed that he might be willing to direct deposit money to my checking account. RED FLAG! I told him that being a natural sceptic, that would NOT be an option. After another email or two, he decided he did not want my car. Hmmmm.

I'm not saying this fellow was trying to scam me, in fact, he probably was not but I would rather turn down what appeared to be a sure sell than to risk my account being drained.

Good advice, JBOYLE. You can't be TOO careful nowadays.

Jim's pride....
                        1963 Daytona Convertible

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                          Interesting you should say this. I recently put my 63 Daytona Convertible up for sale on Cars-On-Line.com and within 24 hours had an inquiry from overseas. After a couple of back and forth emails with this chap, he proposed that he might be willing to direct deposit money to my checking account. RED FLAG! I told him that being a natural sceptic, that would NOT be an option. After another email or two, he decided he did not want my car. Hmmmm.

I'm not saying this fellow was trying to scam me, in fact, he probably was not but I would rather turn down what appeared to be a sure sell than to risk my account being drained.

Good advice, JBOYLE. You can't be TOO careful nowadays.

Jim's pride....
                          1963 Daytona Convertible

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PalmerGA
                            he proposed that he might be willing to direct deposit money to my checking account. RED FLAG!
                            That's probably the SAFEST and FASTEST means of funds transfer (for the seller). I prefer it over cashier's checks...even cash. It costs the seller nothing (not even a trip to the bank to make a deposit). It costs the buyer about the same as a cashiers check...but clears much faster. There is no way the buyer can withdraw from your account. Talk to your bank.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PalmerGA
                              he proposed that he might be willing to direct deposit money to my checking account. RED FLAG!
                              That's probably the SAFEST and FASTEST means of funds transfer (for the seller). I prefer it over cashier's checks...even cash. It costs the seller nothing (not even a trip to the bank to make a deposit). It costs the buyer about the same as a cashiers check...but clears much faster. There is no way the buyer can withdraw from your account. Talk to your bank.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X