62 GT Hawk 289 V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 GT Hawk 289 V8

I am currently performing a complete restortation on a 62 GT Hawk and when the engine (289) was torn down, one of the cylinder walls is gouged. The pistion is in good condition and the remaining cylinders and pistons are in good shape. The engine has 123,000 miles on it. Should the cylinder be sleeved or bored and fitted with new pistions?

Hi, assuming that all the other cyl. do not have excessive taper and are not out of round, and that the piston skirts are not collapsed. I would think that a sleeve would be the way to go. Otherwise as you said, you would have to bore all the cyl. to the same size and puchase new pistons. Depending on how deep the gouge is would determine the amount you would have to bore. I would also be very concerned as to what caused the gouge in the first place.

Comment

You should check for taper in the bores of all of the cylinders before deciding to sleeve the bad cylinder. The shop manual recommends boring the cylinders if the taper is more than .005 thousandths of an inch. Bud

Comment

Hey Bud! I don't think I've ever seen you NOT bore a cylinder, as most all of them have had over the .005" taper! BTW, the engine in my 63Avanti (that you built) is pushing 100K and still runs good!

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Jim, It has been a long time since I've found cylinder bores useable in any of the Studebaker engines that I've rebuilt, both 6's and 8's. Most of them have tapers in excess of .010 thousandths and I've seen bores as bad as .017 thousandths as most of the engines were equipped with cast iron rings which wear the bores much faster than moly or chrome rings. I'm glad that the Avanti engine is still running well. Bud

Comment

Thanks for the information. The taper will be checked and go from there. Eddy

Comment

Working...
            X