Correct Wide Whites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Wide Whites

Would I be correct inasuming that 1950 Champ has a white wall of about 2.75 to 3.00?

I haven't found factory statistics on the whitewall width but think you're in the ballpark for the Champion and Commander.
    These are 2-7/8" on my '51.

Semantically,

the Champ was a pick-up truck produced with front sheet metal resembling the Lark.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The whitewalls on rockne10's car look nice, but I think that they are narrower than what is correct/came on a 1949/1950 Studebaker. I believe that your car (1950) should have a whitewall that is about 4 inches.

I checked factory literature for 1948 and 1949 (I didn't have 1950 handy.) and they show a WIDE whitewall that appears to almost go to the pavement, probably about four inches. There are NO whitwalls shown in the 1952 Studebaker literature (Korean War), except for one very small airbrushed picture showing WIDE whitewalls.

I would check your 1950 Studebaker literature and go by that.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I just read something that indicated the wheels were black if you have factory wide whitewalls...I am referring to 1950 cars...has anyone else read that?

Comment

Here is an ad showing wide whitewalls. The service manual does not specify.

I recently put white wall size 3” (Kanter Item #27264B) on my '50 commander.

Comment

Working...
          X