PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker Pop Quiz: September 2010 Hot Rod

BobPalma
07-23-2010, 10:12 AM
OK, eagle-eyed sleuths:

There is a clearly-identifiable photograph of a 1963 Studebaker R2 engine, supercharger configuration for an Avanti, in the new, September 2010 issue of Hot Rod magazine.

Has anyone found it?

Award: I'll send two unused, original, circa-1963 Studebaker Corporation envelopes to the first person correctly posting here on the SDC Forum, the page of the September 2010 Hot Rod on which the engine appears. BP

Studegirl
07-23-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm not positive, but I think it's page 56 upper picture.

dusty taylor
07-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi it is on page 46. Dusty

BobPalma
07-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Hi it is on page 46. Dusty

BINGO! A good eye, Dusty; two envelopes on their way to you. Congrats.

Are you still the Delbert Taylor on Dale St in Springfield, as listed in the 2010 SDC Roster? Please confirm.

Everyone else: The engine is on the cover of the November 1962 issue of Hot Rod, a small picture of which appears on Page 46 of the September 2010 Hot Rod.

The headline across the top of the November 1962 issue says: The HOT '63's: Details * Tests * Specs: ENGINES They placed a photo of a gorgeous 1963 Avanti R2 engine on the front cover of that issue to call attention to the fact that the issue reviewed new 1963 engines. Interestingly, it has a black supercharger.

Here's a Bonus Round if you didn't get to the forum before Dusty correctly answered the opening question.

The November 1962 Hot Rod also contained Complete Results: 1962 NHRA National Drags.

What was the famous, historic Studebaker event that occurred at the 1962 National Drags at Indianapolis Raceway Park?

Two of the 1963-era Studebaker envelopes will also be sent to the person who first posts the correct answer to that question. (Dusty: Limit of one prize per day per player, please <GGG>) BP

BobPalma
07-23-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm not positive, but I think it's page 56 upper picture.

Thanks for trying, Michelle, but neither of the prominent engines in that page 56 photo are Studebaker V-8s. Neither is supercharged, and if you look closely, you'll see that the upper radiator hoses go to outlets right between the cylinder heads, unlike a Studebaker, with an outlet on top of the water pump manifold "out front." Cheers. BP

dusty taylor
07-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Hi yes that is me. Thank you. Dusty

Milaca
07-23-2010, 01:00 PM
BINGO!

What was the famous, historic Studebaker event that occurred at the 1962 National Drags at Indianapolis Raceway Park?

Ted Harbit won his Class with the Chicken Hawk?

WCP
07-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Bob, I'm under the impression that all early Avanti R2 engines had black superchargers, including mine built in mid Sept. '62. I have never seen any documentation to indicate at what point the switch was made to Paxton red-orange. I have also been told by many that this is wrong, but early magazine pictures suggest otherwise.

StudeRich
07-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Here's a Bonus Round if you didn't get to the forum before Dusty correctly answered the opening question.
The November 1962 Hot Rod also contained Complete Results: 1962 NHRA National Drags.

Two of the 1963-era Studebaker envelopes will also be sent to the person who first posts the correct answer to that question. (Dusty: Limit of one prize per day per player, please <GGG>) BP

Just a wild guess Bob, but was it the first public unveiling of "America's Most Advanced Automobile" the new '63 Avanti?
I am a previous Palma International Pop Quiz Contest Winner of Studebaker envelopes, thank you Bob, so I don't feel right taking them again if I win.

It is a wild guess because I have no idea what month or date the Raceway Park Indianapolis event was held.

BobPalma
07-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Ted Harbit won his Class with the Chicken Hawk?

BINGO! Geeze, you guys are sharp today....isn't anybody at work? (Maybe I shouldn't ask that question!)

(Milaca: Send me your address as a PM here on the forum (or to the e-mail address in Turning Wheels) and I'll get a couple envelopes out to you.)

OK, one more bonus question and that's all the envelopes for today:

Milaca is correct: Ted Harbit won his class with The Chicken Hawk at the 1962 NHRA National Drags, and that win was properly reported in the November 1962 Hot Rod being discussed.

There is at least one significant detail that could be added to that fact.

For another couple envelopes, what is it?

Hint: It's in the March 1996 Turning Wheels, if you have one handy. Or you may know it "by heart," because it is not that obscure. BP

BobPalma
07-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Just a wild guess Bob, but was it the first public unveiling of the new '63 Avanti?
I am a previous Palma International Pop Quiz Contest Winner of Studebaker envelopes, thank you Bob, so I don't feel right taking them again if I win.

It is a wild guess because I have no idea what month or date the Raceway Park Indianapolis event was held.

Actually, Rich, the Avanti more-or-less had its first real public exposure "in the flesh" as part of The 1962 Indianapolis 500-Mile Race; the wild "Month of May" in which the Lark Daytona was the pace car here.

The NHRA National Drags are held over Labor Day weekend, so that would have been at the end of the summer...and Studebaker didn't have anything especially to do with NHRA or Indianapolis Raceway Park in 1962 (or any other time I am aware of, for that matter). BP

BobPalma
07-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Bob, I'm under the impression that all early Avanti R2 engines had black superchargers, including mine built in mid Sept. '62. I have never seen any documentation to indicate at what point the switch was made to Paxton red-orange. I have also been told by many that this is wrong, but early magazine pictures suggest otherwise.

I agree, but have no idea when reddish/orange replaced black. It was quite early; I am surprised to hear that a September 1962 production Avanti had a black supercharger. "Never say never," as we know! BP

mbstude
07-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Milaca is correct: Ted Harbit won his class with The Chicken Hawk at the 1962 NHRA National Drags, and that win was properly reported in the November 1962 Hot Rod being discussed.

A 16 year old Bob Palma was there in the stands watching? :cool:

BobPalma
07-23-2010, 02:08 PM
A 16 year old Bob Palma was there in the stands watching? :cool:

That's true, Matthew, but the detail I'm thinking of has to do with Ted and The Chicken Hawk. BP

doug
07-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Did you see the Hawk on page 23?

61Lark
07-23-2010, 03:13 PM
BINGO! Geeze, you guys are sharp today....isn't anybody at work? (Maybe I shouldn't ask that question!)

(Milaca: Send me your address as a PM here on the forum (or to the e-mail address in Turning Wheels) and I'll get a couple envelopes out to you.)

OK, one more bonus question and that's all the envelopes for today:

Hint: It's in the March 1996 Turning Wheels, if you have one handy. Or you may know it "by heart," because it is not that obscure. BP

It was Ted's first win at nationals with the Chicken Hawk, a year after finishing second with the Teacher's Pet.

Nick

PlainBrownR2
07-23-2010, 03:26 PM
I was also under the impression after all these years that when a supercharger was returned to Paxton for a rebuild, it came back to the owner as black. It would be a shocker if the Avanti had it's blower rebuilt that early in production.

BobPalma
07-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Did you see the Hawk on page 23?

Doug: Do you mean the car in the center picture, with its front end pointing at the big box truck?

If so, I believe that is a 1956 Chrysler New Yorker 2-door HT; not a Studebaker Hawk. Look closely at it; especially the angle of the windshield posts. BP

BobPalma
07-23-2010, 03:30 PM
It was Ted's first win at nationals with the Chicken Hawk, a year after finishing second with the Teacher's Pet.

Nick

BINGO again! Right you are, Nick.

Is your address still on Cobblestone Way in Eden Prairie, as in the 2010 SDC Roster?

Two envelopes on their way to you as soon as you verify that address. BP

BobPalma
07-23-2010, 03:34 PM
I was also under the impression after all these years that when a supercharger was returned to Paxton for a rebuild, it came back to the owner as black. It would be a shocker if the Avanti had it's blower rebuilt that early in production.

Yes, that is true.

But early Avantis had black superchargers from the get-go.

Again, 'not sure when they "went red," but it was early-on. BP

Milaca
07-23-2010, 03:40 PM

I was at work until noon. :)
Thanks Bob, I'll send you my address.

PlainBrownR2
07-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Yes, that is true.

But early Avantis had black superchargers from the get-go.

Again, 'not sure when they "went red," but it was early-on. BP
How's about that, learn something new everyday. I'll have to add that to the things that were or were not present on the early Avanti's :p.