PDA

View Full Version : WOW! 61 Lark wagon

Bob Andrews
07-22-2010, 05:29 AM
Awesome car! Who knows it? VERY impressive. Some good ideas, like the in-dash A/C vents. Would like a closer look at their seat belts too. Love it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-Lark-8-61-Lark-8-2dr-Wagon-Street-Rod-/170517224531?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27b39e5c53

jackb
07-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Presented very well...didn't know til almost last pic it was a 2 dr......now if I could only see some frame & undercarriage pics from Ohio......mmmmmm?

61Lark
07-22-2010, 08:00 AM
That wagon is a really nice car. I've seen 4 V8 2 dr 61 Wagons and two of them have had the police gauges.

Nick

silverhawk
07-22-2010, 08:45 AM
WOW!! That is a beautiful car! I would have done things a little different, but I love the overall approach.

barnlark
07-22-2010, 09:03 AM
That's very near the Myer Studebaker compound. I bet it has plenty of their parts on it. I am doubtful that Jon or Michael wouldn't know about that one. Worth a call to ask.

Jim B PEI
07-22-2010, 09:25 AM
This is about as nice as it gets. From the automatic overdrive to power windows and the in-dash A/C vents, this is a car that Studebaker should have sold new. I.e, staid no longer. It always also mystifies me why Borg Warner never developed an overdrive system for automatics. Seems like it would have been a natural to have power/economy ranges especially in the 50s in the transition years from low compression and flatheads, to high compression and OHV/OHC.

4961Studebaker
07-22-2010, 09:34 AM
BAMS you find em'

http://www.vintageair.com/catalog09/09%20VintageAir%20Catalog%2028.pdf
The A/C vents just like the one's I'll be using (round ones) proline double vane with aluminum housing. Smaller, but very similar to current mustang.
I see they got rid of the ash tray and placed some rectangular vents in there, nice clean touch.

Missing some rubber on the door opening drain holes.
Unless it never sees water, they do show better without the weatherstrip.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/61lark2drebaydoor-1.jpg
Very nice looking car, I'll be watching the bidding as well as any additonal info you guy's come up with.

55champion
07-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Now if I can just win the Lottery..... :)

StudeRich
07-22-2010, 11:12 AM
That is a very nicely done Custom. I think I would be afraid to sit in it though...wouldn't want to get Orange Sherbet Ice cream all over me! :D

Bob Andrews
07-22-2010, 12:30 PM
That's very near the Myer Studebaker compound. I bet it has plenty of their parts on it. I am doubtful that Jon or Michael wouldn't know about that one. .

The ad says "This car features rebuilt 289 Studebaker engine, by Meyers Studebaker Service, Duncan Falls, Ohio".

I'm sure they have plenty of info on the car.

Bob Andrews
07-22-2010, 12:36 PM
BAMS you find em'

Yes I do. I keep working on my system. My goal is to someday get as good as JDP, then I'll go into business:)

I need me a 'Sal' in So Cal of my own...

showbizkid
07-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Very sanitary A/C install! But where did they hide the alternator? I can't see it...

barnlark
07-22-2010, 01:24 PM
The ad says "This car features rebuilt 289 Studebaker engine, by Meyers Studebaker Service, Duncan Falls, Ohio".

I'm sure they have plenty of info on the car.
Brilliant how I deduced that, eh? Sorry, I didn't read it this morning...being that I was mesmerized by the pictures. Thought maybe that was their competition, the "Meyers" down the street. <G>

mbstude
07-22-2010, 01:42 PM
I really, really like this car. If I were building a wagon this would be exactly how I'd do it. Even the paint colors. My '59 truck will be off-white over orange. This would go nicely with it. :cool:

A guy in South Florida called me a couple of times recently, telling me about his cars. I think he had an R series GT Hawk and an R series '64 Daytona 4 door. He also mentioned a '61 Lark 2 door wagon that was for sale in his town, complete with side panels covering the rear quarter windows. He said it was a V8 auto and had old Gov't lettering on the doors. I'm glad he hasn't sent me any pictures...

One at a time, Matthew.. One at a time..

Bob Andrews
07-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Thought maybe that was their competition, the "Meyers" down the street. <G>

That was copied and pasted directly from the listing, so I left it. I wonder how many times a DAY somebody gets the spelling of 'Myer' name wrong- Meyer, Myers, Meyers, Myer's, Meyer's, etc...

studegary
07-22-2010, 03:56 PM
That wagon is a really nice car. I've seen 4 V8 2 dr 61 Wagons and two of them have had the police gauges.

Nick

They are not "police gauges" Studebaker offered an optional gauge package (across the board on Larks) that was usually included in fleet purchases, such as taxi and police vehicles.

studegary
07-22-2010, 03:59 PM
How do I pay him "CASH" when buying at a distance and having a shipper pick up the car after his deadline?

I do not see a serial number plate.

Do those partial flow oil filters work properly in a horizontal position?

I believe that the alternator is below the A/C compressor.

Bob Andrews
07-22-2010, 04:40 PM
How do I pay him "CASH" when buying at a distance and having a shipper pick up the car after his deadline?

I'm sure you're taking that a bit too literally. Were I a suitor I'd pose that question exactly, and I'm sure it would be ironed out in about 2 minutes.

Of course in this case, you could get the cash and pick me up and we'll drive out and get it;)

Bob Andrews
07-22-2010, 05:00 PM
This listing brings up a question: Why do people put towels over their license plates? The plates are visible for all to see in public, as a matter of law.

I know one reason- the GT I bought from CA as a CA car was actually from Montana and came with MT plates, which had been covered in the pictures:mad: Wasn't a big deal, but if it had been say a MA bondo-bucket it would have been!

Funny thing about this one is, you can see the plate in the third picture anywayhttp://serve.mysmiley.net/confused/confused0058.gif:D

4961Studebaker
07-23-2010, 08:03 AM
I do not see a serial number plate.

Your right, in the picture I posted, it appears it was painted over? (maybe) :eek:
Hopefully they just forgot to peal off the tape :confused: Or worse, the blaster got ahold of it :mad:

All in all, neat car, who ever get's it, i wouldn't turn down an offer to take a ride. :)

barnlark
07-23-2010, 08:30 AM
That was copied and pasted directly from the listing, so I left it.

Really? How confused we must all seem.

okc63avanti
07-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Wow very nice wagon ... I'll be talking to Michael Myer today to check on my Avanti progress and see what he says about the wagon.

Jim B PEI
07-23-2010, 09:00 AM
That was copied and pasted directly from the listing, so I left it. I wonder how many times a DAY somebody gets the spelling of 'Myer' name wrong- Meyer, Myers, Meyers, Myer's, Meyer's, etc...

There is another variant in Nova Scotia "Meaghers" as in Meagher's Grant. It helps identify furriners from PEI (Potato Eden Island) when they mangle the pronunciation. I first thought it was pronounced 'meagre' <g>

studegary
07-23-2010, 01:34 PM
This listing brings up a question: Why do people put towels over their license plates? The plates are visible for all to see in public, as a matter of law.

I know one reason- the GT I bought from CA as a CA car was actually from Montana and came with MT plates, which had been covered in the pictures:mad: Wasn't a big deal, but if it had been say a MA bondo-bucket it would have been!

Funny thing about this one is, you can see the plate in the third picture anywayhttp://serve.mysmiley.net/confused/confused0058.gif:D

Sometimes, one wants to keep an eBay listing as an anonymous event. You do not want people knowing who and where you are, unless you make appointments with a potential buyer to see the vehicle. Too many people are able to run plates and get information on them.

With that said, the only time that I remember covering the plate for an eBay listing is when the vehicle still had a plate from the previous owner on it and I didn't want him to be bothered.

Bob Andrews
07-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Really? How confused we must all seem.

?????

Now I'm confused...

4961Studebaker
07-29-2010, 08:12 AM
15,789.99 and didn't even hit the reserve.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/61larkebay.jpg

DEEPNHOCK
07-29-2010, 09:23 AM
"If" the correct part number filter is used on that housing there should be no problem. operation wise, of running it horizontally.
That filter does not have an anti drainback valve in it.
It 'would' be a sloppy service mounted like that.
It 'could' lead to a partial draining if left for a long time (but it also does the stock mounting location).
It 'could' take a few seconds to re-fill on initial start up (but it also does in the stock mounting location)
But remember there is an orifice restrictor that would prevent a low oil pressure situation on start-up until the filter fills back up.
I wouldn't worry about it mounted like that, unless I were a clean freak:rolleyes:
Jeff:cool:

<SNIP>
Do those partial flow oil filters work properly in a horizontal position?
<SNIP>