PDA

View Full Version : Rear springs on a hawk

studelover
04-09-2007, 08:40 PM
I will be going under the car thursday with the notion of bringing the rear springs back to life. In the past I would spray P.B. Blast all over the springs then shoot the springs with a light LUB. I see these liners between the spring leafs, I know there is a procedure can anyone tell me the correct way to help my springs back to life. They don't sag or drop in the rear at all.

Studebakers forever!

sbca96
04-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Not sure what you mean by "back to life". Make sure the spring eye
bushings look good, is something squeaking?

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

studelover
04-09-2007, 11:56 PM
On my 1941 studebaker champion it has in case rear springs. I unwraped the springs and sprayed them with wd-40 and left it on a lift over night. The next day we let the car down and the car was lopsided. The repair guy and I sat in the back seat and had lunch. when we got out, we watched the car rise up and then level off right in front of our eyes, we also fill the shocks with hydulic fluid. The car roll so much better after that, like a caddy.As far as the 61 I noticed there is no rubber on either spring eye bolts so I guess that's the first thing I need to replace.

Studebakers forever!

Chucks Stude
04-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Have just replaced the spring eye bushings on my 62, and it sure makes for a quieter car. It is amazing how the bushings get into that eye, and do not want to get out. Takes a lot of persuasion.