PDA

View Full Version : 55 President comes home

Mike Sal
07-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Brought home another fixer upper yesterday. A good friend was thinning the herd & offered me a President State Sedan, in White over Yellow. If I can ever figure out how to post a picture, I'll throw some up. It's a well appointed car: power windows, steering, & brakes. Push button radio, rear speaker & fog lights. After replacing the condenser, it runs like a top. Shows 53,000 miles & appears to be close to accurate considering the conditon. It appears the car came from near Springfield,IL

Unfortunately, to make it a nice car, absolutely everything would need to be touched. The drivers front fender has a lot of rust, but I have a NOS one for it. The passenger side front fender is bad at the back. All of the upholstery & door panels are water stained.

So....the parts chasing starts all over again.....& I'm not even done with the '66 yet.....

Mike Sal

Mike Sal
07-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Hmmm....maybe with my own reply I can post a pic....

tbredehoft
07-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Yours looks a lot better than mine did when it came home. Yours is the second generation '55, with the w rap around windshield, those front fenders were a 6 month thing, only used on that sedan. feel fortunate that you have them.

Mike Sal
07-22-2010, 06:10 AM
The brakes had been re-done on this car a little over 3 years ago, but it appears that they by-passed the hydrovac & hill holder. Will know more when I've had a chance to get under it.

I think I plan to patch it up just enough to make a driver out of it. That way further improvements can be made a little at a time as parts pop up. Theres a few rust holes in the perimeter around the trunk where the gasket goes & in the bottoms of both B pillars & a little in the rockers. That appears to be the worst of it. We'll see.....
Mike Sal

BobPalma
07-22-2010, 06:17 AM
Nice looking car, Mike! Loaded up, too. Congrats. BP

Bullet
07-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Even has tinted windows. Wow.

Mark

jclary
07-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Looks like it might have one of those "Draw-a-matic" lighters under the clock. (My '51 Land Cruiser has one) And does it have the rare power windows? I see what looks like a door handle, but no window crank.

Mike Sal
07-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Ya, a fellow member had lubricated the windows while he was doing some other service work to the car before I bought it. All the windows run up & down really well (& fast too). The lighter is missing from the dash (I haven't looked in the glove box yet....funny how I forgot to do that....). The left rear door window does have a crack in it. I wonder how hard it'll be to get a replacement tinted glass?

I shudder to think what the interior is going to cost.....What are some good options for that funky "fabric" type carpet?
Mike Sal

warrlaw1
07-22-2010, 01:03 PM
I have a couple of replated parking light surrounds, cheap. Early eBay purchase that "said' they would fit a C/K, but you know the rest....

Mike Sal
07-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Ya, I need to "remember" all the stuff that fits sedans rather than C/K's. My problem is I've forgotten all that stuff....darned ole'heimers desease.....

All the rest of you guys who bought those "oh ya, sure it'll fit a coupe" parts, let me know what ya got! I can keep a secret.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal
07-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Warrlaw....sent you a note regarding those surrounds
Mike Sal

62champ
07-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Hmmm - original upholstery on the rear seat and electric windows as well...

Mike Sal
07-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Upholstery....ya I'm really sad about the interior. it's all intact, but it's all really badly water stained. I'll doubt if it will come clean, but I'll try. I have to pull the covers off to replace the foam padding that has turned hard and crumbly. I had to do the same to my '56 president.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal
07-23-2010, 07:05 PM
I think it's cool that it's a '55 car & the body number is 5555.
Mike Sal

gordr
07-23-2010, 07:27 PM
If the upholstery fabric is still sound, and not rotten, I wonder if you could dye it to hide the water stains? Might be OK for a "driver-grade" car.

8E45E
07-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Upholstery....ya I'm really sad about the interior. it's all intact, but it's all really badly water stained. I'll doubt if it will come clean, but I'll try. I have to pull the covers off to replace the foam padding that has turned hard and crumbly. I had to do the same to my '56 president.
Mike Sal

I would actually try a foam type upholstery cleaner first, such as Studebaker's own 'Trim Kare'. Foam type cleaners won't over-saturate the fabric, and the foaming action should eventually lift out the dirt and stains with a few repeated applications.

Craig

Mike Sal
07-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Once I get the fabric off the seats, I'll take a sample to the local "service master" place that cleans furniture & offices around town. I've had good luck using them in the past on nasty stains on auto upholstery. They have some pretty potent chemicals that aren't available to local yocals.

First order of business is to get an exhaust system ordered so i can drive it. Right now it only has about 2 feet of pipe sticking out each manifold, where he had cobbled something onto the old rotted off Y pipes. I figure i want a quiet muffler, as the exterior of the car is going to look a little rough for a while. No sense having a car that sounds as bad as it looks!

I hate it that it takes so long to get a build order from the museum. If the car had factory dual exhaust, I'd duplicate it, but I don't want to wait that long to get the exhaust ordered. As loaded up as the car is on options, it might well have had duals. I'll crawl under it to see if there's any evidence of extra hangers still there.
mike Sal

Mike Sal
07-25-2010, 09:52 AM
I was spending a little time cleaning the interior of the car this morning & noticed that there is a significant gap between the steering column & the dash. A peek underneath reveals 10 spacers between the dash bracket and the steering column. 4 of them are still zinc plated & 6 of them are rusty.

Was this someone adjusting the steering wheel for a custom fit, or was this a 11th hour fix for a design goof when studebaker went to the 2nd series dash?
Mike Sal

jclary
07-25-2010, 10:00 AM
I was spending a little time cleaning the interior of the car this morning & noticed that there is a significant gap between the steering column & the dash. A peek underneath reveals 10 spacers between the dash bracket and the steering column. 4 of them are still zinc plated & 6 of them are rusty.

Was this someone adjusting the steering wheel for a custom fit, or was this a 11th hour fix for a design goof when studebaker went to the 2nd series dash?
Mike Sal

My guess would be that it was to accommodate some rather short person who wanted to look over the steering wheel and not through it!:)

Johnnywiffer
07-25-2010, 07:35 PM
It's my understanding that the major diff between the 1st and second series (Vista-View) Prez, since they are both the same displacement, was the 2nd series Prez had duals. I once had a 2nd series Prez HT and it had factory duals.

As a matter of fact, I have a "late" '54 Land Cruiser with "supposedly" '55 factory duals. They are pretty rotten now, so very hard to tell but that's the story. It was owned by a partner in a Studebaker dealership who bought it for his wife. I also seem to recall that the OEM '55 Prez duals were 1/4" bigger diameter than other series and other years.

All this is coming from a very foggy memory so please don't accept my blathering as fact.

John

Mike Sal
08-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Warrlaw, did you get the message I sent you? Not sure if my notes are going thru or not.

Did get to spend a few minutes tinkering last night. it was the last night it'll be cool enough to work outside for a while. A new condenser & putting the battery in correctly (they had accidently put it in backwards the day they tried to start it when I bought it) let ole yeller fire right up. for having nothing but stubs for exhaust pipes out of the manifolds, it ran rather smooth. I ordered a set of exhaust for it yesterday from Parks Pipes. They seem to be an ok bunch of people & "mom" seems down to earth. I bought a full set from them for the '66 a few months ago also.

thanks,
Mike Sal