PDA

View Full Version : IT'S ALIVE ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ....again.

sals54
07-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Well, the latest update on JPs 47 Biz Coupe is this... it runs and drives. After chasing the gremlins out of the ignition system and finally getting spark it ran great but with no go. It would go into gear, but not move. Next on the checklist of course is to see if the driveshaft is moving, and yes it was. After that was to check to see if the axle was broken. So I checked to see if the axle was turning in the drum and to my relief, it was. I pulled the drum off to find that the previous owner had forgotten to replace the axle key. Perhaps that was why he sold it, cuz he said after some brake work many years ago, it would not move. Mystery solved and now for the final step.... ebay. I hope the new owner enjoys this one cuz its a pretty nice little car.

JDP
07-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Sad really, parked because it was missing a axle key.

laughinlark
07-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Axle key missing! Thats a new one. I've found some reasons why cars were parked before, but never that one. That's one for the memory bank while it still works..

Gordon

JDP
07-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Axle key missing! Thats a new one. I've found some reasons why cars were parked before, but never that one. That's one for the memory bank while it still works..

Gordon

My favorite was a 35,000 4 speed GT Hawk I bought years ago. It was parked because of a "bad engine" By the time I bought it, it was just a parts car from sitting over 20 years. On a whim, I decided to try and fire the engine, and it barely ran, bucking and backfiring. A quick check showed a loose point screw, once tightened, it ran like a top. prf

raprice
07-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Even though checking for a missing axle key is a no brainer on the surface, most folks would expect the axle keys to be in place. We usually go through a whole check list to find such a cause. Anyway, nice job. Now you can enjoy driving the car.
Rog

64V-K7
07-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Keys are a mystery to some. One car purchased about 10 years ago seemed to run fine, but had to be torn apart for general engine maintenance. When I pulled the crank hub off, there wasn't any woodruff key holding things in place.... and it didn't drop out either...

sals54
07-21-2010, 03:04 PM
The true test drive is waiting for a brake check. I'm letting the new brake fluid sit in the MC for a little while to see it I can get any action from the piston. So far... none. A kit may be in order.

Chantony
07-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi Sal. I once drove a Lark that I later found was missing the axle key.The hub was on so tight it didn't make any difference,but I wouldn't have wanted to do a 6000 mile trip in it. I put a key back in for peace of mind.
That 47 is a great solid little car and deserves to do well on eBay. I couldn't see any nasty surprises at all. Too bad I'm all Studebakered out as those little bus. coupes are few and far between down under.
Good luck with the sale as the car deserves a good start to a new life.

Kurt
07-23-2010, 11:55 AM
I bought a VW bug once that would not move. Turned out to be a missing axle key also. Drove it a long ways after that.