Studebaker/Chevy Valve Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker/Chevy Valve Covers

My '59 Lark is the only Studebaker contact I've ever had in my 65 years. Having had a side business overhauling and r&r Chevy engines for a few years is my reason (excuse?) to install a 350 sbc. My question, did the McKinnon 283's have a Studebaker specific valve cover? Did they have PVC and breather provisions? If so, I like to change over to the Stude covers with the Studebaker logo. Cover height not an issue as I'm running stock rockerarms. I'm tired of the chromed and flamed covers I'm using. Guess I'm getting over my second childhood but the supercharger stays!

Art Rigsby

They used Chevy valve covers with Stude decals. A PVC and breather became mandatory in 1964, so yes, the McKinnon engines came with them.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

The McKinnon Valve covers that were used on 283's for Studebaker, may have been what they used on the Canadian Pontiacs and or GMC Trucks, because there is no raised "Chevrolet" name, they are blank and Studebaker Vendors sell the "Studebaker Thunderbolt V8 283" Silver Foil Decals.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The McKinnon Valve covers that were used on 283's for Studebaker, may have been what they used on the Canadian Pontiacs and or GMC Trucks, because there is no raised "Chevrolet" name, they are blank and Studebaker Vendors sell the "Studebaker Thunderbolt V8 283" Silver Foil Decals.
        The 259 I pulled out had a silver block but black valve covers. Was this the correct combination?

Comment

Those were the correct colors for 59.

Comment

Originally posted by 31Streetrod View Post
            Those were the correct colors for 59.
            Would that carry over to the later 283 sbc?

Thanks, Art

Comment

I believe the McKinnon engines and valve covers were all black, but I do remember the subject was discussed before and there was a color change on the valve covers...unfortunately as I suffer from CRS, I can't remember what the other color was or when the change occurred. I don't believe you can go wrong with basic black.

You can look through a Summit Racing catalog and there's many valve covers available besides flames or chrome. You can buy powder coated valve covers in black or orange, Edelbrock has black covers as well with their logo in it.

What I did on my Avanti II with a 350 crate engine was (if you're so inclined), have valve covered custom laser engraved with the Avanti script. You can get the Studebaker "S", name , script, whatever engraved on polished aluminum or chromed aluminum valve covers. I used Ansen in California. Their work was exemplary, they stayed in touch the entire process, sending photos of the product to make sure it was what I wanted, notified me when they were shipped, etc. I recommend them highly. Here's a photo of the work they did for me...
              Attached Files
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

All 65-66 283 engines i have seen were either Black or yellow and with out any breather or fill holes engine used the front long neck filler like all early SBC
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

I seem to remember that the early 65's were black engines with yellow valve covers. Ed Reynolds told me that the decals used had 3 different versions on the 283's. My 66 came with black engine & valve covers. Also, the 283 although it had a PCV system, came with two different versions. One was a restricted oriface going to the rear of the carburator(which my 66 has) called a "sealed positive crankcase ventilation" per the parts book.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

What I'm trying to do is honor the proud marque of Studebaker. A shape eye would identify my sbc was never a Stude engine. However, sbc McKinnons were installed in real Studes, so I'm just stretching a point. Superchargers were optional equipment so my Weiand 142 is a modern replacement. The powder coated black covers with the 283 decals seem like the best choice. If I were to do it again, I would have built a 289 with the factory blower. I never realized how much I would like the car in spite of it's many quirks.
                    Gunslinger, I'd be afraid to put those stunning covers on my engine for fear I'd drop a wrench on them! Probably mount them over my fireplace.
                    Gotta be doing something right, a young lady stopped right in the middle of a busy intersection in an $80K Benz to tell me how much she loved the Lark.............Thanks for all your help, guys.

Art Rigsby

Comment

Working...
                    X