• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this a new high ?

and not over yet ---
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

I see two (2) shill bidders and a "mark"......no market high here.....

Comment

Jackb, can you tell me how you recognize shill bidders? I think that would be very useful to know.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Boy, do I love that car. It is beautiful.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

This is a very, very nice car. I'm pretty sure it won Best of Division 8 in Glendale. Owner's name is Greg, IIRC. He owns the shop where it was rebuilt. It was at the Lancaster Meet, too. Not sure about the bids, but it's an exceptional Packard Hawk. Any new owner will not be disappointed for the right price.

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
            Jackb, can you tell me how you recognize shill bidders? I think that would be very useful to know.
            You can't, you can only speculate. Many see 100% of the bids with that seller as proof, but that may only show the bidder is not interested in anything else at that moment. There are only two bidders in play over 35K or so, both only bidding on this car. The bidding pattern in small increments is not typical of shill bidders either. If you have some proof of shill bidding, ask ebay to investigate.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

We discussed it just over a week ago:

This is a rare instance where I don't think the price is out of line. There are restorations and restifications (this is the latter, meaning renewed but not stock) of varied levels, and this appears to be at the highest level.

I didn't think the car would do anywhere near the money it's at on eBay, I thought it would end as a no-sale but the high bidder would make a deal aftet the auction was over. I see that the reserve is off at $65K, so it's going to sell.

I have no proof, but I'm betting the bidders are legit in this case. I would also guess the bidders are general enthusiasts, neither Studebaker nor Packard-specific.

It will be interesting to see if anyone has snipe bids ready to fire, and what the final selling price will be.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Well it seems that t***e and f***f have been battling it out since July 14, but I don't think you could call them shills. One thing for sure they are serious car collectors (Private Museums) who just have to have the rarest of the rare in the best condition available, and this car is it.
                Most of these type seem to only care that they LOOK correct, they do not necessarily have to be 100% Original, they will except upgrades maybe because they MIGHT actually want to DRIVE them once or twice!

Studebaker enthusiasts? Not a Chance!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I will simply suggest that the price is out of line and the bidding is suspect. That is plenty for me to "watch" only. At those numbers, I'm not at all a gambler from across the country. It might be this, it might be that.....operative word is "might be". Hey...it's like the economy: It "might be" getting better...but maybe it "might not be"....The stock market "might be" underpriced, but "maybe" its overpriced...??? For someone to pass over that amount of cabbage, on line is beyond my present belief. I humbly suggest that we look at the prices of cars now compared to what folks were saying were "highs" or "great buys" several years ago.....very nice car....

Comment

Hey Rich...a little help here: where/how did you establish that the bidders were museum collectors ??? And wasn't there a guy named Kelly who was buyings Stude to go into showrooms at what I thought was bogus pricing?bidding on eBay ..? Are those cars for sale, or have they been sold...and for what amounts...? Anyone know, or are they the property of you & me (A.K.A. US Govt)......?

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                      I will simply suggest that the price is out of line and the bidding is suspect. That is plenty for me to "watch" only. At those numbers, I'm not at all a gambler from across the country. It might be this, it might be that.....operative word is "might be". Hey...it's like the economy: It "might be" getting better...but maybe it "might not be"....The stock market "might be" underpriced, but "maybe" its overpriced...??? For someone to pass over that amount of cabbage, on line is beyond my present belief. I humbly suggest that we look at the prices of cars now compared to what folks were saying were "highs" or "great buys" several years ago.....very nice car....

The price is not out of line for what I'd expect from the likes of Barrette Jackson and less then the restoration cost. I'll admit I've been surprised by a 70K M series pickup, not so much for a PH.
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

That must be "396 points" in a modified category, but the seller doesn't state that. It is a nice car, but far from my idea of a "restored" car. In a stock class it would score poorly. I just hope that the bidders know what it is.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          That must be "396 points" in a modified category, but the seller doesn't state that. It is a nice car, but far from my idea of a "restored" car. In a stock class it would score poorly. I just hope that the bidders know what it is.
                          Good point, Gary. The auction description should mention that it was in Division 8- Studebaker powered, modified. I was one of the judges, so I know it was in that class. I doubt any other car beat that score in division 8, but I wasn't part of the final tabulation.

Comment

As you can guess, my bid only lasted three days before it was out of range.
                            Last edited by 58PackardWagon; 07-20-2010, 06:33 PM.

Comment

New bidder in with minutes to go, and it's a Studebaker guy that has bids on other Studebaker items.
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X