Flanged axles on a 54 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flanged axles on a 54 Commander

I put a set of flanged axles on my 54, knocked the hubs out of the drums and put it all together. Oddly enough, there was an issue (/sarcasm).

The center hole on the drum is about 3.1" diameter. The end of the axle is 2.6", leaving half an inch of slop. Makes the drum shift on braking and feels appropriately hinky.

The studs that were on the hub have shoulders that make the wheel center nicely. The studs on the axle do not, allowing slop in the axle, though the lug nuts center the wheel nicely.

Anybody know if Lark 10" rear drums will work on 54 C/K backing plates with the flanged axle? Or better yet, 65/66 flanged axle rear drums like SI has in stock?

Press the studs out of the old hub and into the new axles? Buy some round
    stock with the correct ID and OD needed? Find studs (Napa) shouldered in
    the OD needed? There are options to continue using your original drums.

There are a LOT of studs available, my disc conversion uses Dodge truck
    studs in the Studebaker hubs to center a '94-'04 Mustang rotor. Some time
    at your local Napa with the dimensions of what you need should do it.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

The flanged axle kit should have had two centering rings/spacers to center the drum on the axle end. If they came from Phil Harris (Fairborn), just give him a call and I'm sure he will make it right.

Comment

Got my answer, seems the kits sold out here on the west coast aren't Fairborn's kit but a poor copy of them. I feel badly about buying them now, not just because they don't work properly.

I spoke with Phil Harris, what a gentleman. He's sending me a couple of spacers that I hope will work with the knock offs even though it wasn't his kit. He's surely won my business from now on.

Comment

Pat, what's up with the Italian Larks? Any progress? Any pics?

Comment

There is a knock off kit? First I have heard of this. Where did you get it?

Tom
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by pdrnec View Post
              Got my answer, seems the kits sold out here on the west coast aren't Fairborn's kit but a poor copy of them. I feel badly about buying them now, not just because they don't work properly.

I spoke with Phil Harris, what a gentleman. He's sending me a couple of spacers that I hope will work with the knock offs even though it wasn't his kit. He's surely won my business from now on.

One vendor asked Phil for some info on his axles early on, than copied them for his own resale. If the axles came from that guy, Phil's spacers should work.
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Just asking; why didn't you call the vendor who sold you the axles without spacers? While Phil Harris is going above and beyond to help, the seller who caused the problem should be the one to correct it.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

I got them through Studebakers West - I assumed (yeah, I know) that they were a reseller for the original kits, was just hoping to save on shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by 31Streetrod View Post
                    Pat, what's up with the Italian Larks? Any progress? Any pics?
                    They are stored safely away out of the elements, I'm looking for a museum interested in restoring one or both, business ain't what it used to be and while I'm doing OK, I don't have the necessary discretionary funds to do them up right.

Comment

Originally posted by pdrnec View Post

Problem solved. Phil sent the adapters, perfect fit. Tires are gonna get expensive, just laid rubber through 1st, 2nd and chirped into 3rd.

Grinning.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X