Question on production orders from SNM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on production orders from SNM

Since I will be in South Bend for the first time this summer, I wonder if there is any way for me to look up information on my specific vehicles in lieu of sending $45.00 a pop for each one. I do not mind supporting the Museum and providing a contribution for access for the files, but with approximately a dozen and a half vehicles the cost would be prohibitive to get them all.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

The short answer is no.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The short answer is no.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Go to the Studebaker Museum web site..Click on tours, plan your holiday & submit a question to the archives dept.

Comment

Go to the Studebaker Museum web site..Click on tours, plan your holiday & submit a question to the archives dept.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think if you were planning on looking at production records in the archives during the International Meet, I would be surprised if they could accomodate you for that. Since the SNM is hosting the meet, I would think that all available "hands" would be busy with many other things that week and that the Archives would be not available during the meet. On top of this, I believe they are still in the process of relocating the archives (a massive task I'm sure) from the south side of town up to the building acquired right next door to the new SNM. The SNM website could probably confirm or deny this last item.

Remember, the SNM is a museum, not necessarily a vendor, and thus I believe they would be stretched more, personnel-wise, than a vendor would be.

I spent a few hours one day at the Archives not quite 18 mos. ago. I made a three-digit donation (pretty low three-digit!) on my own, which I had wanted to do anyway. This was not a prerequisite, at least at that time. For obvious reasons, the archivist stays with you and assists the whole time...as it should be.

You may be able to at least look at and possibly write down some info from the production orders for your cars while at an Archives visit, but making copies for less than the P.O.'s are sold for normally would probably be a stretch.

Aren't they (P.O.'s) only $25 for 1960-66? Sounds like your vehicles might all be older than that.

Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            (formerly Greenville, PA)
            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
            All are in Australia now

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think if you were planning on looking at production records in the archives during the International Meet, I would be surprised if they could accomodate you for that. Since the SNM is hosting the meet, I would think that all available "hands" would be busy with many other things that week and that the Archives would be not available during the meet. On top of this, I believe they are still in the process of relocating the archives (a massive task I'm sure) from the south side of town up to the building acquired right next door to the new SNM. The SNM website could probably confirm or deny this last item.

Remember, the SNM is a museum, not necessarily a vendor, and thus I believe they would be stretched more, personnel-wise, than a vendor would be.

I spent a few hours one day at the Archives not quite 18 mos. ago. I made a three-digit donation (pretty low three-digit!) on my own, which I had wanted to do anyway. This was not a prerequisite, at least at that time. For obvious reasons, the archivist stays with you and assists the whole time...as it should be.

You may be able to at least look at and possibly write down some info from the production orders for your cars while at an Archives visit, but making copies for less than the P.O.'s are sold for normally would probably be a stretch.

Aren't they (P.O.'s) only $25 for 1960-66? Sounds like your vehicles might all be older than that.

Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

I just checked the museum site,it says :60-66 are $25,older ones are $40.

LaSalle,Il
                61Hawk
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I just checked the museum site,it says :60-66 are $25,older ones are $40.

LaSalle,Il
                  61Hawk
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Perhaps the SNM would entertain a "volume" discount for production orders. Certainly the cost of searching and sending 18 separate orders would be far higher than lumping them all together in one envelope...
                    On the other hand, I agree that during the International is not the optimum time for them to be searching the archieves.

55 Commander
                    58 Transtar
                    62 GT Hawk
                    66 Cruiser

Comment

Perhaps the SNM would entertain a "volume" discount for production orders. Certainly the cost of searching and sending 18 separate orders would be far higher than lumping them all together in one envelope...
                      On the other hand, I agree that during the International is not the optimum time for them to be searching the archieves.

55 Commander
                      58 Transtar
                      62 GT Hawk
                      66 Cruiser

Comment

Also; do not forget that what I heard from reliable sources is that when Jeoff Newman donated the Production Order Files to the Museum it was with the stipulation (contract)that he receive his normal (previous) fee of $15.00 per copy of any and ALL PO's copied!

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Also; do not forget that what I heard from reliable sources is that when Jeoff Newman donated the Production Order Files to the Museum it was with the stipulation (contract)that he receive his normal (previous) fee of $15.00 per copy of any and ALL PO's copied!

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                          X