PDA

View Full Version : Lark Parker-Needs prayers!

Chicken Hawk
07-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Dale has been in the hospital over a week with kidney failure and stomach problems. The doctors think he has Wegener's Disease which can affect many parts of the body but the kidneys and stomach are two of the main ones.

He is in intensive care and has a feeding tube and a breathing tube. Because of the breathing tube he cannot talk and can only use hand signals and write notes to communicate. This is very frustrating for him.

He was on dialysis every other day and I believe every day for awhile but he was having reactions to it and they now are giving it to him over a longer period of time and I think less amount if that is the proper way to describe it.

Today he told Barb he likes to have visitors which is a plus as he wasn't feeling well enough to have much company. Of course they don't want but two people at a time and only for short times. Everyone going in the room must wear a hospital gown and gloves. I know most of you are too far away to visit but I'm sure he would appreciate cards and letters.

His mailing address is:

Dale McPhearson-Inpatient
St. Vincent Hospital
Room 2629
2001 W. 86th Sreet
Indianapolis, IN 46260-1902

Those of you that know Dale realize he is not one to talk about himself or his illness. This is why we haven't posted anything before now and today we asked Barb if it would be ok to let the newsgroup know and she gave the ok. All we knew before he went to the hospital was that he said he has been having back problems for quite awhile and brushed it off as nothing serious.

I think that is pretty much it but Bob Palma may add something if I've forgotten to mention anything.

I know he will appreciate your prayers, thoughts, cards and letters. He definitely needs them. Will let you know of any changes.

Ted

Bob Andrews
07-18-2010, 06:39 PM
So sorry to hear this. Dale is a good friend, and I will get a card right out. In the meantime he will be the subject of heartfelt prayer.

Get well soon LP!

mbstude
07-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks for posting Ted, I'm sure the extra prayers will help. For what it's worth he first went to the hospital on June 30th, so he's been there for a bit more than a week.

Hang in there, Dale!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/me_dale.jpg

He best get well soon. I still have to get him back for making me haul all of this "stuff" 850 miles home from South Bend...

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/stainless.jpg

41 Frank
07-18-2010, 06:52 PM
We wish Dale a speedy and complete recovery and will keep him in our prayers. We will get a card off to him post haste.

Frank and Elizabeth van Doorn

okc63avanti
07-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Just wrote a Get Well letter and it will go in the mail. Dale will be in my prayers, thanks for sharing Ted.

wolfie
07-18-2010, 08:48 PM
We will add him to our prayers also. Get well soon Dale. Steve and Tracy

HookedonStudies
07-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the update Ted. We'll pray that Dale finds strength and peace.

silverhawk
07-18-2010, 09:07 PM
I'll keep him in my prayers for sure!

BobPalma
07-18-2010, 09:11 PM
This is the disease with which Dale has been diagnosed:

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Wegener's+disease

As you can see, it is a difficult disease to diagnose, and even harder to treat. Unfortunately, the symptoms are so similar to more common maladies that the disorder had a firm grip on Dale before it was properly diagnosed, making treatment that much more difficult.

I first saw Dale at St. Vincent's on Sunday, July 4, and have been back four times since. On the 4th of July, he was still in a "regular" room, but was transferred to intensive care a couple days later due to the breathing and kidney problems. He has been there ever since. On the 4th of July, we were able to converse, but he was difficult to understand. During the next four visits, he was strapped to the breathing apparatus, so talking was out of the question.

As Ted stated, Dale is a private person and we waited until we had a green light from his wife Barbara to "go public." In fact, Dale is so private that we didn't know anything was wrong until Saturday, July 3, when he had already been in the hospital four days after an emergency ambulance ride the 35-odd miles southeast from the Frankfort IN Hospital ER to St. Vincent's! On that day (July 3), Dale's niece, who just happens to live directly across the street from us here in Brownsburg(!), came across the street and asked Cari and I, "Do you know my Uncle Dale is in the hospital with renal failure?" Yipes! Nope!

I called Ted because I think he is Dale's "best friend" in Studebakering AFAIK, and Ted had heard nothing of it, either! But we got the impression early on that Barb and Dale wanted the situation to have limited exposure until more was known, so we honored that, of course.

Suffice to say Dale has a long way to go, but we hope he's turned the corner. He is now in his fourth week at St. Vincent's and still in Intensive Care, so you know he's got to be getting "antsy." Cards and notes would really be appreciated, so please use the address Ted posted in his original remarks. (I don't think you have to use the room number. In fact, it would probably be better if you didn't, because when he is moved to a "normal" room, they might get confused if he's not located in 2629.)

Clever writer that he is, Dale will probably be composing a knock-off of an old Beach Boys '60s song when he gets out...possibly along the lines of,

"Well, I saved my nickles and saved my dimes,
'cause I knew there would come a time,
when I could make bail to exit,
Room twenty-six twenty nine!"

Or something like that...

Thanks for everyone's good thoughts and prayers. They are both needed and appreciated. BP

Lenny R2
07-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Get well soon Dale.

ddub
07-18-2010, 09:25 PM
I only know Dale in his Lark Parker guise but he will surely be in my prayers.

Milaca
07-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Perhaps somebody can give him a laptop computer with internet access to the forum? Maybe that's not possible, but I hope he gets well soon and can once again visit and write on this forum as his input here is much appreciated as are his articles in Turning Wheels.

Chris_Dresbach
07-18-2010, 09:50 PM
I hope he gets well soon.

Cravin
07-18-2010, 10:13 PM
I have never had the priveledge of meeting Dale but enjoy his postings here. Prayers sent.

jclary
07-18-2010, 10:20 PM
I too will be praying for Dale's recovery. After reading up on the malady, I understand why the hospital gown and gloves are required. His immune system is compromised by not only the disease, but the treatment. Therefore it is extremely important that his environment be kept as sterile and clean as possible. I hope that any cards or anything else sent in his room are subjected to a sanitizing process.

whacker
07-18-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm not much for religion, but I hope for the best for Dale.

Pat Dilling
07-18-2010, 11:12 PM
I too have only known him on the forum. I have always enjoyed his clever writing and his polishing tips. For that reason I make a point of reading his posts whenever I see them. Wishing him well and will keep him in my prayers. Get well soon Dale/Lark we miss you.

laughinlark
07-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Get well soon Dale.

Gordon

fpstude
07-19-2010, 12:14 AM
I only know Dale as Lark Parker on this forum. Based on this, it is obvious he is a great person. Out thoughts are with him.

JGK 940
07-19-2010, 01:15 AM
Lark Parker? Aw. heck. He's just playin' 'possum. Says so right in his signature. Though personally, I think it's all just an excuse to get to wear one of those trendy hospital robes:

http://isastaffing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Bringing-Up-Baby.jpg

Get well soon, Dale. Your perspective and perspicacity are irreplaceable, and so are you.

barnlark
07-19-2010, 02:32 AM
My family's best wishes to you, your family and the hospital staff, Dale, for a hopefully soon to be released ornery patient. I'm glad I got to spend some time with you and Matthew in Cedar Rapids and also this spring in South Bend with that sea of stainless in MB's pickup. I can still see that smile of yours from his truck as someone other than you had to haul it all home! Turn that corner to getting well soon, Lark.

Son O Lark
07-19-2010, 05:06 AM
Dale's family thanks everyone for their kind thoughts and prayers. I will print up this thread and give it to him. The Lovely Daytona would also like people to mention in their letters that he should be a "Good" patient and do what the doctors say.

Chicken Hawk
07-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Just got back from seeing Dale. He has the breathing tube out, at least temporarily and is able to talk. I thought he looked and acted a little better but that's understandable with the tube out. He seemed to be breathing pretty good without it.

He hasn't lost his sense of humor. One of the nurses was doing something around his tubes and must have tripped one or something as a loud BEEP, BEEP, BEEP started sounding and he immediately said, "DIVE, DIVE, DIVE". For those that may not know, Dale spent about 25 years in the Navy.

The nurses started the dialysis while I was there. They had about 6 or 8 large bags on a stand that was part of his treatment. Evidently, this is the slower, longer dialysis they talked about as there were the same number of bags about empty they took down.

I was there about an hour and a half and I told him if he felt tired and wanted to sleep just go ahead. A few minutes later he said to go as he would sleep.

Just as I was leaving Barb came in so she will be with him a couple hours. Mary Ann will call her this evening and if there is anything new to report, we'll send it on.

Ted

ROADRACELARK
07-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Ted,

Thanks to you and Mary Ann for keeping us up to speed on Dale's condition and progress. He's a super nice guy and it's sad this is happening. Our thoughts and prayers go out to he and his family.

Dan Miller
Auburn, GA

52-fan
07-19-2010, 06:16 PM
It's like a kick in the stomach when one of the forum regulars has a problem especially one who is so well liked. My prayer is added to the list. May his doctors be wise in their treatment and Dale be back soon.

bison
07-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Dale , hope your feeling better soon
Blake

dean pearson
07-19-2010, 08:42 PM
I wish Dale all the best.

An original and great guy, Hope he is home ASAP.

Dean.

BobPalma
07-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Our Indy SDC Chapter President is Chuck Kern. Forum members may recognize him as the guy with the fastest Avanti at The Pure Stock Drags; his white 1963 R2/Powershift.

Chuck is not on the Forum, but he went to see Dale today (Monday, July 19) after Ted, and sent this report to Indy Chapter members:

I WAS UP TO SEE DALE ABOUT 2:30 PM.
HE & BARB SEEMED GLAD TO SEE ME.
SHE LEFT ABOUT 3:30 TO MISS THE RUSH HOUR.
I LEFT ABOUT 15 MINUTES LATER.
DALE HAD SPELLS WHERE HE'D GET REAL COLD FROM THE DIALYSIS.
HE HAS A LONG ROAD TO RECOVERY.

Green53
07-19-2010, 11:29 PM
I wish him a speedy recovery. Dale you are one of the goodguys.

Denny L

Chicken Hawk
07-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Things are a little better. He still is getting along without the breathing tube so he is able to communicate and that is a boost for him (and others trying to understand).

Barb said the doctor told her today he is getting along good with the slower process of dialysis and they hope to start him on the original before long to see if he can tolerate it.

The doctor also said his kidneys are accepting the dialysis good in that they are getting the poison, etc. out but this does not mean they are starting to work, only that the dialysis is working.

Richard Poe was up to see him this morning and Richard commented on his humor. He's witty and the nurses sometimes don't get what he says.

Mary Ann and I plan to go down tomorrow to see him and probably Bob P. will also go tomorrow or maybe Thursday.

Ted

63larkr1
07-20-2010, 10:18 PM
As Ted said I was there today and Dale seemed to be quick with his humor and that is good to see. He's looking forward and it was good to talk to him. Send him a note or a card if you can't stop by.
Richard

Lothar
07-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Godspeed and good luck, Dale! The Stude Forum and the world-at-large are diminished by your absence. We all hope you have a swift and complete recovery!

Chicken Hawk
07-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Mary Ann and I got to the hospital about 12:30 today and Dale was sound asleep so we didn't want to wake so we waited in the hall. About 1:00 or a little after Barb got there so we went into the room with our gowns and gloves and remained quite and I guess around 1:30 or so, he began to wake up.

He still is free of the breathing tube and was pretty talkative and I thought he looked a little better than a couple days ago. Still has his sense of humor and teases the nurses some.

He is still on the, what I call the slow dialysis but they plan to start him on the regular again sometime but no exact time table. One of the doctors that came in said it was very normal for some to have the same reaction Dale did when they start them on dialysis.

Not much else to report but I am a little more encouraged today and optimistically cautious.

I think he was getting a little tired so we left about 3:00. He was getting his TV control in hand and was going to watch some I'm guessing before he went back to sleep.

Son o Lark (Barry) and Coleen, Dale's daughter are planning on getting a lap top to him so that will be a great time passer and he will be able to see all the message and maybe send a short message. Coleen is pretty sharp with computers so they should get him fixed up but will probably be a few days yet, they didn't know just when.

He asked to see the new cards he got so he does look forward to getting those.

I think Bob Palma will be visiting him tomorrow so he should be able to update us tomorrow night or Friday morning.

Keep on the prayers. It appears they may be working although slowly.

Ted

BobPalma
07-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Yes, I will be visiting Dale Thursday afternoon, July 22.
He has communicated that he "wants to talk to me about something," so now that the ventilator is out, maybe we can find out what it is!
'Will post Thursday evening or Friday morning. BP

Bob Andrews
07-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the updates. Always looking for those improvement reports!

BobPalma
07-22-2010, 06:58 PM
FINALLY, I can post a positive report, and a very positive one at that!

It's 7:30 PM Thursday, July 22, and I just returned from spending an hour with Dale, from 5PM to 6PM this evening. [Compared to the last time saw him a week ago], HE LOOKS WONDERFUL! I couldn't believe the difference one week made, although I guess I happened to "hit" at just the wrong time for the last visit, after he had taken a few steps backwards. But Ted Harbit's visits earlier this week gave me hope that Dale was doing much better, and indeed he is.

With the ventilator out, he was breathing easily on his own and able to talk much more clearly than the last time I was actually able to speak with him, which had been Sunday, July 4th. He was conversant, funny, and positive. OK, he's got a long way to go, but it would appear he's turned the corner...and none too soon, I might add; his plane was on a short runway when it landed at St. Vincent's June 30, if you know what I mean.

He still has a looooong way to go; he had no idea when he might get out of intensive care, much less go home. It will be weeks, yet, so please keep the cards coming. Dale specifically commented this evening, as he had earlier to Ted, that he really enjoyed and appreciated the cards, notes, prayers, and good thoughts. I'd say they've been quite effective; "our buddy" is on the mend, albeit slowly.

I asked him about doing better on the slower dialysis and he said, "Well, to put it in Studebaker terms, it's like full-flow versus partial flow: I think it's getting filtered, just at a slower rate to not overpower me."

I asked him what it was he wanted to talk to me about. He volunteered that he had been a bit delusional during his early stay, and felt like he was being held against his will. He had considered asking me to secure legal means to get him released. Obviously, now that his mind has cleared and he is doing much better, he said he no longer felt that way, and knew he was in the right place, being administered appropriate treatment. So all that was nothing of concern.

Dale said the physical therapist was in, because they are having to do PT to keep his appendages operational and such. He volunteered that the PT asked him what he last remembered with any certainty and he said, "Being on all fours at the house, trying to get up after getting the cat's feed bowl." Holy cow, that was no later than June 30, before he went to the ER in Frankfort, so he had indeed experienced some mental shortcomings during the renal failure. But I emphasize, all that is now history and he is thinking, joking, and conversing clearly.

His daughter brought a laptop for him to try out, but they could not access the internet from his room...and besides, operating it would still be challenging for him. His son Barry (Son-o-Lark on the forum) will print out the good wishes from everyone here on the forum and take them in, in the next day or two.

He's not quite "his old self" yet, but it is good to be able to identify and interact with "an old Studebaker friend who's on the mend." Prayers have been answered but continuations are requested, as are additional cards. He really appreciates them.

Thanks again for everyone's concern, thought, and prayers on Dale's behalf. BP

mbstude
07-22-2010, 08:42 PM
EXCELLENT news, BP. Thanks for the update.

41 Frank
07-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Great to hear he is making progress.

Chantony
07-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Great news.
I've never met Dale....too far away to swim, but have enjoyed his humour and posts.
Wish him a speedy recovery from down under.

BobPalma
07-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Everyone: Ted and I just received the following missive from Dale's daughter Colleen. (Friday evening, July 23rd.)

I see nothing here too private to share, so 'thought everyone would like to know how well your caring and good prayers/vibes/cards/notes are being received and appreciated:

Ted & Bob:

Daughter O'Dale here. 'Just wanted to thank both of you for your attentive and healing friendships. Each time I have been to see Dad at the hospital, he has mentioned both of you. Your visits have meant a great deal to him, and have certainly helped his healing. The cards and messages from all the Stude-folk have been a bright spot in his daily "routine."

Dad has a brand new iPad now, and WiFi access in his room. The iPad should be easier to handle than a laptop. We weren't able to get into his e-mail yesterday while I was there, but I'm certain that was due to an incorrect password (I checked my own email with no problems). Password's been reset, so he should be good to go.

Keep those positive vibes flowing!

Gratefully,
Colleen & the rest of the clan McPhearson

jclary
07-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated Bob. In true CASO fashion, I made a home-made get well card and mailed it off today. He continues to be in our prayers.

Chicken Hawk
07-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Barb said things are about the same. They have not started the dialysis full time yet though.

Coleen, Dale's daughter tried to get the lap top to work but it would not for some reason so she got him an Ipod and he is going to work with that some. I'm an old hick and have no idea what this is and don't care to spend the time to learn but I have heard of it.

Sorry no more than this to report but at least there is no more bad things to report and he seems to still be doing better than he was so let's pray he stays on the good path.

Ted

Huck
07-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Dale, I just learned of illness. Alas, I have become forum slacker. You have my prayers , of course. Let's see, you have a couple months to recover before the Muscle Car Drags. Peace and Love, Gary "Huck" Hildebrandt

barnlark
07-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Barb said things are about the same. They have not started the dialysis full time yet though.

Coleen, Dale's daughter tried to get the lap top to work but it would not for some reason so she got him an Ipod and he is going to work with that some. I'm an old hick and have no idea what this is and don't care to spend the time to learn but I have heard of it.

Sorry no more than this to report but at least there is no more bad things to report and he seems to still be doing better than he was so let's pray he stays on the good path.

Ted

Sounds like she maybe got him an iPad, Ted? That would give him the internet if they have wi-fi in the hospital. That just looks like a big iPod about the size of a magazine and will give him email and the forum. He'll like that. Thanks for the many updates.

Chicken Hawk
07-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Sounds like she maybe got him an iPad, Ted? That would give him the internet if they have wi-fi in the hospital. That just looks like a big iPod about the size of a magazine and will give him email and the forum. He'll like that. Thanks for the many updates.

Yes, you're right. Like I said, I don't know what this is or the ipod, pad, blackberry, blueberry or any of that stuff. I have enough trouble with just a cell phone.

Ted

Warren Webb
07-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Joy & I both wish you a speedy & sucsessfull recovery and may I add that I miss your humor and wit in here!

Chicken Hawk
07-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Today may be the best day Dale has had. He was given the full dialysis and got through it with no problems.

He was offered some jello and he said he preferred orange so that's what he got and was able to eat it and as far as I know handled it fine.

If he has one more time of dialysis with no problem he may be sent back to a regular room from the intensive care room.

Barb said some of his swelling in his face and hand appeared to be a little better.

He is having some trouble operating the ipad and Coleen is writing out some instructions to help him so maybe in a day or two he will be able to operate it.

Mary Ann and I will go down tomorrow afternoon and will report tomorrow night. Sure hope to see a little improvement each day.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, prayers, cards, and letters. He really appreciates them and all of you.

Ted

super wagonaire
07-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Glad to hear Dales coming around . I sent out a card and he is in my prayers

Tony Berbig

Daan
07-25-2010, 03:17 AM
Prayers and positive thoughts going out from here. My Dad has Wegeners, so once they figured out what the **** it was he had, he's a lot better. It is a very rare disease, so it's really fortunate that the diagnosis is in for Dale. I work in a hospital so I know what dialysis patients go thru, so extra special prayers are on their way. GOOD LUCK!

Chicken Hawk
07-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Just got home from seeing Dale. Still good news! He has not had the second full dose of dialysis today but they should give it to him tomorrow and sounds like if he handles it ok, they will move him out of intensive care.

He asked for something to eat and they offered him either chocolate or vanilla pudding and he chose vanilla. He didn't eat very much and seemed to cause him to cough and he has trouble coughing as you can imagine.

They did take one of the two tubes out of his stomach before he tried eating it. He also asked for some 2% milk and they brought him a carton and he said it was really good.

Going to take some time but he is making good progress.

We got there about 1:30 and he was watching the Brickyard 400. We watched a good part of that and toward the end he was getting pretty tired. We left just before the end of the race and he was going to get some sleep.

A LOT of the swelling in his face and left hand and arm has gone down. Don't know why just the left side was swollen so much but pretty much back to normal now.

I had noticed before during visits his blood pressure was pretty high but today at one time it was 136 over 78 but when they took the stomach tube out I noticed it was up to 148 over 87 but I don't think that's too bad for what he's going through.

He does not have the ipad figured out yet but give him time and I'm sure he will.

That's about all for now.

(Dave, there is no phone in his intensive care room. When he gets moved he may have one.)

Ted

StudeDave57
07-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Get well soon Dale~

We need guys like you to keep this hobby from getting too serious!!!

Laughter helps the World stay sane. Keep us smilin' :D

StudeDave '57 :cool:

Turbostude53
07-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Dale,
All of us Salt2Salt guys are plugg'n for you! Your name is on the thankyou list on the back of our new t-shirt, and our first salt run will be in your honor at Bonneville.
Best Regards
Greg Meyers and the Minnesota Stude guys

bondobilly
07-26-2010, 12:08 PM
What is his e-mail address?

mbstude
07-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Greg, that's a very nice thing to do, good on you guys! And good luck on the Salt Flats.

Bill, check your email.

Chicken Hawk
07-26-2010, 06:56 PM
More fairly good news. Dale took the second full dialysis today without a problem. He has now been moved to room 5805.

Yesterday they turned the feeding "box" off but turned it back on today because he was not eating enough.

The second tube to drain his lungs is still in.

Barb said he was well enough to complain about the food so she is going to take him some things to eat and said he better eat it! (g)

Ted

52 Ragtop
07-27-2010, 07:25 PM
I stopped by St Vincent’s today about 1 pm. As you have had to, I put on the gown and latex gloves, walked in the room and asked, “I hear you need a proctologist”! Dale started laughing and said, “Nope, WRONG room” I said aren’t you in “infamous Lark Parker”? He laughed some more as did Barb.
I had not seen Dale prior to today, so to compare him to “before” I can’t. But, I can say that he did look pretty darn good for what he’s been through! As reported from both Bob & Ted, he has NOT lost his sense of humor! Which in my opinion, is a GOOD thing!
I didn’t stay too long, as I was “on my (long) lunch” <G> But he had to show me the stack of cards he has received, and could not get over the number of them. So, keep ‘em coming to Dale!
When I got there, there was a Dr. in his room discussing “what the next step will be” some talk of moving him to a rehab hospital to get his strength back. I do not know how soon that will happen, but, THAT is a VERY promising sign for him!
Dale was even asking me about my Avanti, and “if” I was going to sell it when I finished! He said “I might be interested” Barb looked at him and said, “what are YOU going to do with it”?

Like I said, I only stayed for about 30 minutes or so, but Dale’s spirits were high, and his sense of humor was NOT lacking!

I did however, offer to bring Dale some "White Castles" as he was complaining about the food! I figured that would cure him for sure! LOL

Jim

Chicken Hawk
07-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Just to add something to what Richard posted today. Barb said he will be going through some tests tomorrow and he will probably be worn out so he requested no one come to visit him tomorrow.

Ted

Chicken Hawk
07-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Dale had another dialysis today and got along fine with it and also had a "swallow" test but it was late this afternoon so don't know about the results from that.

He is eating a little better and Barb said she thinks he is looking and acting a little better each day. She also said he doesn't have a phone and doesn't really want one. I know the original room he was in had one but it was a real chore for him to get to it and try using it.

Ted

Chicken Hawk
07-29-2010, 05:49 PM
This might be the best news yet! Dale is being transferred to Lafayettle for continued dialysis and physical therapy.

He will be at:

Seton Specialty Hospital
1501 Hartford Street
Lafayette, IN 47904

Will post room number and any other info later. He and Barb are both pleased to be going to Lafayette and will be closer to home than Indy.

Ted

StudeDave57
07-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Found in another thread~

Get well soon . Our prayers are with you . I got to know Dale at the Newport hill climb and has enjoyed his company. He and Ted have a great help to me being a novice that I am. Wayne & Sara Iseminger

StudeDave '57 :cool:

wayne
07-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Hope I did it right this time ? Our prayers are with you Dale. I got to know Dale at Newport hill climb and has enjoyed the time I spent with him. Wayne & Sara Iseminger

BobPalma
07-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Update on Dale received Friday morning, July 30:

SDC / Indy Chapter members Wayne & Gwen Remaly live near Delphi IN, close to Lafayette. They were able to go see Dale and sent the following information to Ted and I today:

Ted and Bob:

Please pass this info along if you wish.

Gwen and I stopped to see Dale this morning and he was asleep. He heard us walk into the room and woke up with his witt running full speed.

Dale knew that I have been having some knee problems and he asked my doctor's name. I just barely got the name out and he asked, "Did you just make that up?"

He did eat Cream of Wheat today and said he enjoyed it. We didn't ask about the swalling test results.

The technician was setting up to run the 3 1/2 dialysis among the many other things a new patient must endure on the first day in a new place.

Dale is in room 1340 of Seaton Specialty Hospital located on the first floor of ST. Elizabeth Hospital. In Lafayette, take US 52 about a mile or so north of SR 26 to Union Street and turn left. Follow Union Street to 14th Street and turn right. You will be at the west end of the hospital.

You should see a little hamburger stand called Budgies (SP). Park in a lot across from the hospital. Entering this way will eliminate a lot of walking.

Turn left after entering the hospital and keep walking. After you walk a while, stop and ask someone where in the heck room 1340 is located!

Wayne

52 Ragtop
07-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks Wayne! Glad to hear Dale is doing better. I was "planning" on seeing him tomorrow evening at St. Vincents, but I'll have to scratch that idea! I'll be sending him a care package of some "car" magazines next week to keep him busy.

Jim

tutone63
07-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Sorry to hear this. I have been away from the forum for awhile, and only then for a few minutes at a time. I have never met him other than here on the forum, but I have always enjoyed reading his posts. I am glad to hear the forthcoming good news , and will add him to my prayer list. I hope for the best!

Flashback
07-31-2010, 09:44 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with Dale and family. Tough times !!

mbstude
08-03-2010, 02:59 PM
A few minutes ago my cell phone rang. As you might imagine, I was quite surprised to see Dale's number come up. He said he was bored and has some time built up on his phone, so he thought he might as well use it.

All things considered, he sounded great and it was easy to carry on a conversation. He seemed more worried about giving me some more stainless trim, rather than being in the hospital. I told him to worry about getting well before anything else, and he agreed that that was a good idea. He asked how the trim biz was going, and I told him I had more than I wanted. He laughed and said "I told you so".

This was the first time I'd talked to him since he's been in the hospital, so it was really nice to hear from him. He seems to be doing okay.

BobPalma
08-03-2010, 04:50 PM
5PM Tuesday, August 3, 2010: 'Just got back from spending an hour plus with Dale in his new digs at Seton Specialty Hospital in Lafayette. He is doing well and said to tell everyone "hello" and thanks for the many cards, notes, prayers, and good thoughts. He will be there for awhile, yet, so don't let up!

Sense of humor has returned and we had a nice time talking about many mutual topics as well as Studes. As you know, Dale was career Navy and has an interest in nautical things. We both have an interest in the Confederate States of America Navy submarine Hunley that was located and removed from the Charleston [SC] harbor in 2000, having been there over 135 years! I'm a "Friend of the Hunley" and forward to Dale their quarterly publication, The Blue Light.

Dale's second career, as many of you know, was an instrument technician at Staley Foods, the huge corn syrup processing plant on the south side of Lafayette IN. He was in the Navy 20 years and worked at Staley the next 23. While at Staley, he had occasion to supervise cleaning and filling rail tank cars with bulk corn syrup. The cars were cleaned by robots and then check for sterility. When that came back OK, they could then be filled.

Dale reported having once OK'd a tank car for filling, so it was connected and filling commenced. Unfortunately, it was already full! Quite a bit of overfilling and spillage occurred before someone noticed what was going on. The railroad tank cars were filled in a depressed area designed to contain spills, so the problem was not an environmental disaster, but certainly required a good deal of clean-up. Dale said there was so much corn syrup below the tank car that it covered the rails!

Suffice to say, Dale was amusingly conversant today and we had a nice visit. As I was getting ready to leave, a terrible screeching sound was heard throughout the hospital; a sound Dale had never heard.
Fortunately, it was "just" a fire drill.

As for a medical report, there is good news, neutral (unchanged) news, and, sadly, some [reportedly temporary] bad news.

Good News: Dale began Physical Therapy Monday, August 2. Nothing too dramatic, but he was able to stand. That might not seem like much, but that's the first time since late June that he has actually achieved the homosapien erectus position! They were going to come and get him this afternoon for more work. Standing proved to be quite an adventure, Dale said; nothing to be taken for granted.

Neutral News: The kidneys have still not kicked back in and dialysis continues. Dale has pretty much resigned himself to dialysis for the rest of his life: As long as it has been trying to rejuvinate his kidneys with no success, they have held little hope that same will ever happen. Bummer.

Bad (albeit temporary) News: Dale said he flunked his swallow test, so must continue to be fed artificially until he relearns how to swallow. As he described it, the air tube was in his throat so long that the muscles involved in swallowing atrophied and must be retrained so he can swallow properly. Otherwise, the food goes into his lungs. I couldn't seem to understand how he was able to eat Cream of Wheat a couple days ago, but now cannot. Maybe he was just lucky that the CoW went down the right tube.

Anyway, hold off sending him any DeLuxe Pizzas until further notice.

He still has small oxygen tubes in his nostrils for an occasional snort, but no breathing apparatus is needed as he is breathing easily and effectively on his own, as he has been since he was transferred to Seton. That's good news.

Overall, Dale looked good! His speech was so much clearer and he was so much more relaxed than when I last saw him (July 22nd). His sense of humor, as all visitors have observed, has returned with a pleasant vengeance. Point: Lafayette (West Lafayette, actually) is home of Purdue University. Dale didn't graduate from Purdue, but I did and Dale is a Purdue fan. When I arrived to visit, there was an attendant in the room doing something to Dale. He told the attendant, "This guy used to drive The Boilermaker Special locomotive [true; it is Purdue University's Mascot]. He wrecked it."

The attendant was not familiar with Dale McPhearson's dry humor, so she didn't know whether to be impressed or mortified. (Yes, I drove The Boilermaker Special a good deal as a member of the organization responsible for its care, The Purdue Reamer Club, but I never wrecked it!)

Dale is yet to have internet access, although he could well operate a keyboard / laptop; his hands have enough agility to do so. The laptop his daughter Colleen brought for him proved too complicated. Dale was more frustrated with it than without it, so they are scrounging a simpler one.

Wife Barbara arrived for the day about the time the fire alarm went off, but no correlation between the two events was suspected. I pretty well had him worn out following a good visit, so it was time to turn the sentry station over to Barb about 1:15PM.

Dale still has a long way to go, but is definately on the way. Keep him in yours prayers and remember that he does appreciate cards and notes! BP

BobGlasscock
08-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Bob, thanks SO much for your detailed reports on Lark Parker. Although I don't post much on threads of this nature, I sure do read them and consider so many of all forum members as friends. So I am always interested in updates. And you are doing a wonderful job. Thanks.

And good thoughts for Lark.

41 Frank
08-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the update Bob P.

Chicken Hawk
08-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Just a little bit to add to Bob's info.

Talked to Barb this evening and said she thought Dale looked a little better than he did when we were there Sunday. Unfortunately, he failed his swallow test again so still cannot eat.

After Barb left they moved him to a different room. He was in 1340 and is now in 1329. Don't know why they moved him but Barb thought maybe it is a little bigger room?

Ted

BobPalma
08-04-2010, 07:10 AM
After Barb left they moved him to a different room. He was in 1340 and is now in 1329. Don't know why they moved him but Barb thought maybe it is a little bigger room?

Ted

I'll bet the room size was the reason, Ted, as Barb suggested.

Dale told me they were doing the initial Physical Therapy there in his room. As you observed, Room 1340 was downright small as modern hospital rooms go.

So they may have moved him to a larger room to help his (and their) manueverability. I don't see how they could have done much, if any, PT in Room 1340. BP

Chicken Hawk
08-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Just received the following from Diane Elmore.

Ted

Ted,

First of all, thanks for all the timely emails you've been sending to keep us all updated on Dales's progress. Since I don't have the list of all the people you've been sending emails to, could you please forward this message?

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Dave and I went to visit Dale today and were very pleasantly surprised. Not having seen him since his ordeal began so many weeks ago and knowing how VERY sick he's been, we'd steeled ourselves to what we might see when we entered his room. But there he was...sitting up in bed and chatting with his sister, brother-in-law and Barb. I'm not sure how long they'd been there, but we stayed for over an hour and he was not showing any signs of undue fatigue. (And we'd told him twice, if he started to feel tired that we wanted him to tell us.)

He still has the feeding tube. Don't know when his next swallow test will be. He's obviously very thin and has lost muscle mass from being in bed for so long, but now that he's at Seton Hospital, he's having regular PT (although he did have Friday off). And I'm sure we'll be seeing good results from the PT very soon. He's especially happy that his dialysis is only taking 3 hours. He said, "If it's only 3 hours a day for 3 days a week, that'll be nothing. And if we have to come to Lafayette, that's no problem either...geesh Barb drives to Lafayette 3 days a week to SHOP!"

His mind is sharp and he's very anxious to get back to being on the computer. So keep watch...soon we may be getting messages and updates from ol' Lark Parker himself.

So, as I said as I began this report, even though he has a long rough road ahead of him, after seeing Dale today we are very encouraged about his abililty to beat this.

Diane

BobPalma
08-07-2010, 08:26 PM
To add to what Ted just posted: The missive was from Dave and Diane Elmore, two local SDCers in our Indy Chapter SDC. They are not on the forum, but you may have seen Dave's "Hugger Orange" / white roof 1950 Champion DeLuxe 2-door with bubble gum machine on top and siren, lettered up professionally with faux gold leaf: Veedersburg Fire Department Chief. (If someone has a photo of Dave's Champion in their collection, please post.)

Veedersburg is a small, central western Indiana town not all that far from Newport. Dave Elmore grew up in Veedersburg, although they now live in Danville IN, just west of Indianapolis, the county seat of our Hendricks County. Dave also has a sweet, Tahiti Coral 1959 Lark VI 4-door, a 1964 Cruiser he is building to replicate a 1964 Indiana State Police Car, and a black / white stripe 1961 Hawk his father bought either new or nearly new, that is part way through a thorough restoration.

In the "small world" department, Dave and Diane (IIRC) left their wedding in Dave's almost-new, mauve 1962 Lark Daytona hardtop, a 259 / 4-speed. Dave and I have compared notes, and we are certain it is the very car I saw on display in the showroom of Roy Gale Motors, Studebaker dealer at East 10th Street and Sherman Drive in Indianapolis, in the spring of 1962! (One never forgets seeing a 259 with a 4-speed.)

'Nice folks, and I know Dale was surely happy to see them. It sounds like he is all Dale mentally and his body just needs to catch up! (Hey, Dale; it's only six weeks to the 2010 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags...better get crackin!) BP

BobPalma
08-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Thursday, August 12, 2010: 'Stopped to see Dale on my way to northern Indiana to check out a car today. I arrived about 8:30 AM and stayed most of an hour until the next person came in to attend to him, giving him swallowing "lessons," and I had to leave to keep the appointment anyway.

Dale said the last several days have been, "two steps forward and one step back," which is a good summation. He has been practicing his swallowing exercises and expects to have a swallow test either Friday or next week. As posted earlier, he flunked the August 2nd swallow test, and has not had one since. He said he feels better about that this time and hopes he can pass, so he can again start eating conventionally.

However, he has developed a stomach problem for which they were injecting a barium material this morning so he could go have an X-ray later today and see what might be going on there, as he is having trouble keeping down even the food he is receiving through the nose-induced feeding tube that goes down his esophagus, directly into his stomach. Direct fuel injection, I guess you could say.

Overall, though, he says he feels better and stronger. He is in a larger room, now with enough room to walk around during physical therapy. On that front, his PT progress has gone from being able to stand (first exercise) to now being able to walk to the end of his bed and back. Progress, you know, however carefully measured!

Dialysis continues, with no more than 4 hours being needed, often less. No hope for the kidneys resuming their assigned duty, unfortunately. His attitude about that situation, as frightening as it is, could not be better, all things considered.

He was in good spirits and expressed appreciation for all the good wishes and cards that continue to arrive. He is now in Room 2329 at Seton Specialty Hospital, address posted earlier. It's going to be a long haul, guys & gals, so please keep him in your prayers, and keep sending greetings as he really appreciates them.

Well, I am babysitting Wonder Tyke this afternoon and he is stirring from his afternoon nap, so gotta' go.

"Hello" to all from Dale. BP

BobPalma
08-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Here's the updated mailing information to drop Dale a card, which he greatly appreciates:

Dale McPhearson, Room 2329
Seton Specialty Hospital
1501 Hartford Street
Lafayette IN 47904-2134

BobPalma
08-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Monday, August 16, 2010:

Two SDC couples (Ted & Mary Ann Harbit, and Tom & Judy Lawlis) went to see Dale over the weekend (Sat & Sun; Aug. 14 & 15)

Both contributed short reports, so I'll post them here to bring everyone up to date. Dale continues to improve incrementally...

From Ted & Mary Ann Harbit:

'Went today [Sunday, August 15] to see Dale and he has lost 40 pounds and understandably is pretty weak. He was watching the Colts game when we got there (about 2:45). He still has his sense of humor and a pretty good attitude but is getting frustrated in that he cannot eat.

He said the doctor is talking about putting a tube in his stomach to help but he is fighting that. He has another swallow test maybe tomorrow or sometime this coming week. He wants the doctor to hold off on the tube until he can start eating and give him about a week to see if he can gain weight by just eating. I'm sure he will do everything he can once he is able to eat. He is determined to work at it once he can eat.

There is a phone in his room but it doesn't work. Mary Ann tried calling it while in his room but it would not ring. It doesn't matter anyway as it is too far from him to reach it. He does have his cell phone but he said it is not on a lot and I took that to mean maybe he prefers not to get calls. He has his therapy and with tests, etc. maybe he doesn't want it ringing during those times?

He is overwhelmed with the number of cards and letters he has received and I think he really enjoys getting them so keep them coming. Anything that will help him keep a good outlook and attitude.

Ted

From Tom & Judy Lawlis, having visited Saturday evening, August 14th:

Bob, if you would like to share this with anyone, go ahead. I don't know how to get a message to everyone like you do.

Tom and I visited Dale in the hospital, arriving there at 7:30 PM. We learned they don't have strict visiting hours. We were afraid they might shoo us out at 8:00. We were there until 8:30.

He was so happy to have someone to talk to. (He said so!) He held our hands tightly and said he was so glad to see us. He talked so fast that sometimes he had to stop and catch his breath. I know he's so tired of being in the hospital, but he realizes that he had a very close call, and he appreciates the help the hospital personnel have given him.

Dale has been in bed so long that he's lost the strength to sit up. He has retained his upper body strength. 'Said that must be from polishing all that stainless steel! We found him in good spirits, with tender feelings at times when he would almost cry. We are so glad he has made this much progress and have hope for his recovery.

Just on a personal note, I have to tell all of you that Tom has cleaned off all the undercoating from the bottom of the '57 he's restoring. [Tom Lawlis' 1957 Golden Hawk 400; the one his older brother bought off a westside Indianapolis gas station lot in 1960.] You can almost see your face in the shine of it. Howe Clark was so excited when he saw it last evening. Tom is incredible! That's an unbiased opinion! [Ed. Note: It is also an accurate assessment of Tom Lawlis' dedication to restoring that midwest car. It will be an astonishing car when done, and he is happily well along on it.]

Thank you all for your prayers, cards, and kind thoughts for Dale. It has meant everything to him. He has received cards and notes from strangers who read Turning Wheels. He almost can't believe the outpouring of concern. Studebaker people at the best!

Judy Lawlis

There you have it, folks. Keep the notes coming. As Dale gets better, albeit slowly, he misses "the outside Studebaker world" even more, so it is good to keep him in the loop with thoughts, prayers, and cards/notes.

On a personal note, I talked with Dale on the phone Saturday, Sunday, and today (Monday). But that is only because he's called me; he prefers to not receive telephone calls due to the many procedures and varied feelings/responses to same he has throughout each day...especially Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, when he has dialysis and it reallly knocks him for a loop.

Anyway, he sounds good and is trying to "get on" in the Studebaker hobby by calling a few folks; hence, his calls to me to get phone numbers. BP

tomnoller
08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Keep healin' Dale! We're praying for you, Bro!

Chicken Hawk
08-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Mary Ann talked to Barb awhile ago and Dale had another swallow test today and did not pass it. They think the tubes he had down his throat before has caused his Esophagus to have sores and will need to heal before he can eat.

Naturally he was disappointed but understood. They are going to put a tube in his stomach so he can get more nourishment and hopefully gain some weight and strength.

Due to the weight loss and loss of strength we don't think he looks quite as good as he did before for awhile so keep the good thoughts and prayers going.

Ted

stude53
08-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Ted and Bob, thanks for standing in for all of us at visiting hours, and Please tell Dale (aka Lark Parker) that all of us in the Studebaker Truck Farmers send our best regards.

Keep getting better, Dale. We miss your pithy comments and great humor.

Chicken Hawk
08-19-2010, 08:16 PM
They did not put the tube in Dale's stomach yet. His white blood count is up and they think he may still have some infection in his left lung.

They hope to be able to put the tube in tomorrow.

We plan to see him Saturday evening so hope to have something good to report then.

Ted

Chicken Hawk
08-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Went to see Dale this evening. He still has a good attitude and still has his sense of humor.

They put a drain tube in his left lung yesterday and also a feeding tube into his stomach. The feeding tube should give him more nourishment and maybe he can gain some weight and strength. He has now lost 45 pounds and hasn't had anything by mouth for the past 8 weeks other than a small amount of jello and some cream of wheat while he was at Indy.

He thinks he won't be able to eat anything by mouth for a month yet but hoping in a couple weeks he might be able to.

They gave him an extra dialysis today and was just finishing it when we got there.

The fellow administering the dialysis really seemed to take to Dale and two nurses came in later and it appeared they were fond of him also as they talked with him and joking some and he seemed to really enjoy them as well.

He told us about the exercises he does to strengthen his throat muscles to help him get past the swallow test. It consists of 10 reps of about five different things he has to do.

He really enjoys it when the Colts are on as he said that three hours makes the time go fast and he also watches some baseball.

He plans to get his lap top back and see if they can get it to work in his room and if so, that should really help pass some time.

He has some whiskers, not a beard yet, but they don't want him shaving because if he gets a cut he might have a bleeding problem and he does not want to use an electric razor.

Ted

Lark Parker
08-23-2010, 07:38 AM
I'm still alive!
I just got a computer hookup that works and that should help pass the long day.
Looks like it may be close to Thanksgiving before I see the outside again.
Maybe the possum can crross the road after all.
The many cards , letters and prayers for me have ben very humbling and encouraging. Thanks for the help in very a dark time.

jclary
08-23-2010, 07:59 AM
WELCOME BACK FRIEND! We've been praying and pulling for you. I take your being back here as a great sign. Hang in there and follow directions. Heck...before long we might be changing your handle to "Lark Driver!":):cool::)

BobGlasscock
08-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Lark Parker, this is just wonderful to see you post again!!! What a happy start for my day, it's gotta be even better and more rewarding for you. Congratulations!!

Skip Lackie
08-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Dale-
Welcome back! Glad to hear you're on the mend. We really missed your wisdom (and humor!).

Skip

JRoberts
08-23-2010, 11:53 AM
WOW! It is really good to have you back. We've been missing you here.

Dick Clemens
08-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Missed your presence here. Very glad to have you back and hopefully on the mend. Prayers will still go out for you and your family.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Pat Dilling
08-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Greetings and well wishes from the left coast. Great to see you here and will look forward to the announcement that you are posting from home.

Milaca
08-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Welcome back Dale! I was having a really bad day at work but feel better now that I see that you are back on the forum with us. Hang in there fella!

Turbostude53
08-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Hey Dale!
We ran the Salt2Salt car at Bonneville, the first run being in your honor, and guess what? We qualified for a record, which we set the next morning! You brought us good luck!
Glad to see you back online so we can all experience your sense of humor again first hand.
Best
Greg

AKAchamptrucking
08-24-2010, 05:24 AM
Hey Mr Lark Parker!
Sorry I am a bit late to the thread,but I wish you nothing less than a speedy and complete recovery and a quick release from the hospital! ( GO COLTS! BTW) Take care o'master of the missives! RICH

barnlark
08-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Great to have you back, Dale! Sheesh, if you're going to be in there until Thanksgiving, better take full advantage of the nurse's lotion rubbing skills on those bed calluses where you might be a pain... Heh heh... Get well soon.

Lark Parker
08-29-2010, 08:16 PM
I would like to thank the many people who have sent cards and letters as well as offering prayers .

It is a very humbling experience to be acknowledged by so many.
Many who don't even know me also took the time to try to encourage me.
It has had an effect on the way I now view life and what is important to me.

I have been in the hospital bed(s) since June 27 and can use any diversions from the ticking clock on the wall.
My email reaches me now on a laptop and the address is:
shiny1@comcast.net

I am trying to get back into a frame of mind that will allow me to write again and will avoid discussing boring medical conditions.

Thanks again.

BobPalma
08-29-2010, 08:53 PM
I am trying to get back into a frame of mind that will allow me to write again and will avoid discussing boring medical conditions.

Thanks again.

Good idea, Dale: As an alternative, limit your medical discussions to exciting medical conditions! <GGG>

It IS good to have you back; it really is.

(Tentatively, I am going to try to get up to see you early Thursday morning, Sept 2. More later.) Bob

wolfie
08-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Great to have you back! Hope you continue to improve. Steve

jlmccuan
08-29-2010, 09:01 PM

Thanks again.

Remember we need the back story for the factory R3 Hawk and Stude's return to the Salt. Your historical (hysterical) perspective would be just the right finishing touch (touche)

JRoberts
08-30-2010, 07:08 AM
The idea that you are going to be writing really cheers me up. I'll be waiting anxiously for your next keyboard creation.

studeclunker
08-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Good idea, Dale: As an alternative, limit your medical discussions to exciting medical conditions! <GGG>

It IS good to have you back; it really is.

(Tentatively, I am going to try to get up to see you early Thursday morning, Sept 2. More later.) Bob

:eek:Errr...:eek: Forgive me please, but I hope that will never be! Exciting medical conditions are... not nice. Keep it good and boring, Dale. That way you can get home as soon as possible. Keep up the progress on those swallowing exercises and your physiotherapy. Remember, one more rep! All the best and prayers are going up daily!;) It's very good to see you back!:D I'll look for a thoroughly nutty card for you when I get into town next.;)

BobPalma
09-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Update Thursday Morning, September 2:

'Got up to see Dale this morning in Lafayette. Time constraints on both ends suddenly left me with only 40 minutes to spend in the room, but it was a fun visit and he understood. I had promised to come up Thursday and wanted to make that happen...he knew I was coming...when I banged on the door at 8:20 AM, Dale said, "Hey, you're early!"

Dale looks so good! His color was terrific, he looked healthy, and for the first time in two months, he had no tubes or appliances hooked up to his head, throat, or nose! We could sit and talk and he was as easy to understand as ever; just great. He said he was getting therapy for his vocal cords and apologized for sounding "different," but he did not. I'm not just saying that; his voice really sounded entirely normal.

In fact, Dale and I had been shooting the breeze a few minutes and I was thinking how good he looked when it suddenly dawned on me, "Hey, Dale has nothing going in or out of his head!" (I realize that could be misinterpreted, so I trust everyone will understand without clarification needed. <GGG>)

He's looking forward to his next swallow test; maybe next week. All food is still going into his stomach directly through a tube; not through his esophagus. He can suck all the ice he wants (and does), but the swallowing he does when the ice melts is the limit of what he is allowed to swallow.

He says he feels good, and looks it. Upper body strength is doing well, but he's still a bit limited in pulling himself up and out of bed, and requires assistance to do that. Physical therapy continues to get the muscles again working that have been dormant, now, over two months. Ugh....but it beats the alternative.

Dale is able to get on the forum at will and does every day, so feel free to post away and he will see your messages even if he doesn't reply to each one. He continues to appreciate the notes and cards; a growing stack in the hospital room.

He allowed that the Drs. are considering moving him to a nursing home in Frankfort (his home town, about 35 miles southeast of where he is now in Lafayette), at which time he would have to be transported from Frankfort to Lebanon, another 20 miles southeast along I-65 toward Indianapolis, for dialysis when needed. Nothing definite about those plans at this time, however.

Overall, a happy visit with a guy who's starting to look and talk much more like "his ole' self." We'd dare not ask for more right now, for prayers are being answered apace as it is.

'Great to see you looking so good, Dale; as I said this morning, we'll be thinking of you often at The Pure Stock Drags in a couple weeks. BP

mbstude
09-02-2010, 12:12 PM
That is wonderful news, BP. Thanks for the update!

Dale, keep it up!

52 Ragtop
09-02-2010, 12:17 PM
GREAT news in deed Bob! Glad to hear that Dale is "over" the hump!

Thanks for posting

Jim

Bob Andrews
09-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Good for you, Mr. Parker! Hope you got the million dollars I wired to you. You know, for incidentals and such.

Skinnys Garage
09-02-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm glad to hear things are looking better LP! I was just thinking about you earlier today while I was tapping and sanding on a piece of Lark stainless. We haven't met, but I've enjoyed reading your "how to's" on stainless repair, along with your other posts since joining the forum a while back. Hope everything continues to improve and thanks for all the great posts.:cool:

Lark Parker
09-07-2010, 09:48 AM
I know this isn't face book but I had to tell someone.
Stand by for big news (at least for me it is).
Today I will take another "swallow test" (I have failed twice before). If I pass I will get food instead of the tube feed.
The las time I ate was in June.
They will evaluate me today to maybe move to the Intensive Rehab ward where I will get three hours of physical exercise per day.
Maybe they can help me get up and about again!

candbstudebakers
09-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Dale, sounds like maybe things are going forward, sure hope so, take care and good luck lots of Studebaker people on your side.

Welcome
09-07-2010, 10:01 AM
I know this isn't face book but I had to tell someone.
Stand by for big news (at least for me it is).
Today I will take another "swallow test" (I have failed twice before). If I pass I will get food instead of the tube feed.
The las time I ate was in June.>>>

Dale, so glad to see you're back on the Forum!!!:cool:

Hopefully, it won't be much longer before you'll be making good use of those 2 coffee mugs (your favorite type) I gave you at this year's South Bend Meet.

Jim B.

AKAchamptrucking
09-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Dale it is nice to read your postings. Good luck on the swallow test! Hope you can enjoy a Dagwood style sandwich soon!!

jclary
09-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Dale,
A prayer sent on your behalf. I know this is serious business, however, as I noted in the "CASO" card I sent to you awhile back...my "forum diagnosis" could be that your intake has blown a gasket, or needs to be re-torqued, etc., etc.:):cool::)

I am glad to see you posting again. Just hang in there. You will continue to be in my prayers.:)

BobPalma
09-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Dale is not one to blow his own horn on the Forum, but he did send along good news, very good news, today...he passed his swallow test!

In his own words:

Hi All,

I just graduated from tube feeding to "honey liquid" (pureed) foods by mouth.

At last, my first real food since June!

The menu game is to try to find foods that still taste OK after pulverizing.

Last night I had meat loaf and mashed potatoes and it was great. That meal improved everything.

Yesterday I walked with the walker about 200 feet. A personal best.

There's conversation of moving me out of this hospital to a nursing home that has physical rehab facilities. My dialysis would possibly be at Lebanon.

The Vikings and Saints game is tonight. I'm looking forward to that one.

Dale

[If anyone is interested in Dale's whereabouts, get a map and look for Indianapolis in the center of Indiana. Follow I-65 NW out of Indianapolis and you'll see Lebanon (possible dialysis location), Frankfort (Dale's home) and Lafayette, where he is now, as you drive from Indianapolis NW on I-65 toward Chicago.]

Good news indeed, Dale; congrats and best wishes. BP

Lark Parker
09-09-2010, 07:25 PM
It's time to bring this thread to a finish.
I really appreciate the support from the people in Studebaker land and probably even owe them my life because of their prayers.

I'm eating now and physical rehab is going well. My fleet of doctors are happy with the progress and I am looking at recovery well ahead of my previous estimate. I may well be taking dialysis treatments the rest of my life but that beats the alternative.

I expect several mail changes in the very near so any new mail should go to my home address @ 700 N Clay St, Frankfort, IN 46041 I'll try to keep my cell phone on and recharged too.

If I have a relapse and die I will reopen the thread.

okc63avanti
09-09-2010, 10:21 PM
This is great news ..... Lark it is great to hear from you and we will continue to keep you in our prayers and expect to hear that you are continuing to progress !!!

dean pearson
09-09-2010, 10:26 PM
The End.

Dean, Hi Dale !

mbstude
09-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Good news indeed, Dale. Sounds like you're coming up on a full turn around. Great!

If I have a relapse and die I will reopen the thread.

Please, for the sake of all Studebaker owners everywhere, write more stories for Turning Wheels. You've certainly still got that "touch".

Anne F. Goodman
09-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Fantastic News Dale. I am so glad to hear you are doing so well.
Keep up the good work. We look forward to your continued posts. Please keep us updated.
The Goodmans Fresno Ca

JRoberts
09-10-2010, 07:21 AM
J'll repeat what Anne said, "Fantastic News." And I too am waiting for you to get back into writing your wonderful articles.

TX Rebel
09-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Congratulations on your speedy progress, Dale. I have been watching & praying for your recovery & will continue to do so!
Don't get too fat now that you are eating again.

Lenny R2
09-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Happy to hear you passed the swallow test.I hope you will be home soon

Chicken Hawk
09-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Dale was moved up to Room 4110 and will begin serious therapy tomorrow. Ate real food again today and sounds very good. Attitude and sense of humor still intact. Things looking better. Keep the thoughts and prayers with him though.

Ted