PDA

View Full Version : why does my 57 hawk steer so hard

christineman
07-17-2010, 08:50 PM
is there a reason why my hawk steers hard,,, before I hooked up the sector, seemed to be so easy to stear,, is there something in the sector that makes that that can be fixed or cured?

StudeRich
07-17-2010, 10:20 PM
You totally disassembled the whole steering gear and took the sector out?

When you put it back, it is very important to get it centered on it's high spot when the wheel is straight ahead, and get the adjustment screw set correctly.

This IS the stock manual Ross type SL box used in most C & K's right?

sbca96
07-17-2010, 10:26 PM
I am far from a Newbie with Studebakers, but what IS a "sector"?

Tom

Alan
07-18-2010, 12:11 AM
The shaft that comes out of the steering box that the pitman arm bolts to.

sbca96
07-18-2010, 04:57 AM
Thanks Alan, I have never heard it called that.

Tom

JunkYarDog
07-18-2010, 08:00 AM
NUMBER ONE OFFENDER AND THE EASIEST TO CORRECT IS ..... Check your adjustment screw on your steering box and make sure it isn't turned all the way tight as it can go if it is, Back it off anywhere from a tenth of a turn to a quarter of a turn then reset the lock nut .Never tighten it as tight as you can it'll draw hard against the teeth and bearings and make it hard to move. It is normal to have a little bit of free play on the steering wheel if you have none then odds are your adjuster on the steering box is to tight.

On my 1958 Scotsman I found I over tighten the steering box just a 10th of a turn to tight and I had to release it a little make sure the bolt doesn't turn as you tighten the lock nut or it'll over tighten itself again. Also these cars and light trucks were built in the days of Bias Belt tires and Radial's really hold them down harder from turning while sitting still.

If you've had this box all the way apart and you put new and old parts back together or didn't get the parts spaced exactly the same as they were before this can cause a hard to turn box . Ive had problems in the past on this story everything must have the exact clearance to match the wear to keep it from having stiff spots in it when it turns.