PDA

View Full Version : Power steering lines

studelover
04-08-2007, 10:11 PM
The lines on my power steering pump to control valve on my 1961 hawk have ends that are copper, does thid mean they are original? I have lines that are replacement, they don't have copper ends. Would they be less in quality?

Studebakers forever!

studelover
04-09-2007, 01:34 AM
The bends are perfect, in fact the replacement lines don't have bends as perfect as these originals if in fact they are originals. I have seen cases where someone had some lines madse up for there application. This might be the case here.

Studebakers forever!

studelover
04-09-2007, 01:36 AM
For clearification the whole line is not copper just the metal end that goes into the power control vavle, the body of the line is rubber like any other.

Studebakers forever!

John Kirchhoff
04-09-2007, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the lines were made up by someone who makes ag hydraulic lines since some of those are copper coated steel. The copper helps prevent rust when the lines are buried in dirt and chaff. I believe the power steering system will run in the neighbor hood of 900 psi, which I doubt a pure copper line could handle.

studelover
04-09-2007, 03:47 PM
here is the valve, I guess the lines only look copper.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/mr1940/IMG_0290.jpg

Studebakers forever!