fuel line question 1950 6 cyl. champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel line question 1950 6 cyl. champion

I bought an electric fuel pump for my 1950 champion and the fitting on the end of it accepts a 3/16" male. I bought enough 3/16" line to reach from the pump to the carb today. On the way home I spoke with a mechanic and he says that I should use an adapter at the 3/16" outlet end of the pump to increase it to 5/16" like the line that comes from the tank. It seems to me that since the opening coming out of the pump is 3/16" that there is nothing to be gained by fastening a larger line to the opening. He says that the fuel will go through the smaller line faster than it will move in the larger line, making up for the smaller size opening at the pump exit. Should I go back and get the adapter to hook up the larger 5/16" line or should I just use the 3/16 line?
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

3/16" ? are you sure? I didn't think they made fuel line that small, it must be brake line. I think Champions have 1/4 in. lines and Commanders are 5/16 in.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Richard,

Yes, it is 3/16 and what they had was brake line, I think.
      sigpicJimmie
      Orange County, Indiana
      1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

Champions I've seen have 1/4" hard line from the pump to the carb. The stated diameter is the O.D. A 1/4' line has an O.D. of 1/4", and an I.D. close to 3/16".
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
        X