muffler source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• muffler source

I need a source for a reasonably priced muffler for Bess and Ed. Bess' muffler just broke in half (very rusty). So, it needs replacing, I suppose, LOL! No Auto Parts Available tells me that they don't have anything at all that will fit. I find that hard to believe. My concern is practicality, not correctness. I'm looking for something that will do the job quietly and, if possible, inexpensively.

Anyone...?

EDIT:
    Also, if anyone can tell me if S.I.'s strap #526460 will work? The rear strap (forward of the axle) broke as well.
    Last edited by studeclunker; 07-15-2010, 07:59 PM. Reason: additional question
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

I dont know, I have a Cherry bomb glass pack on mine and while cruising on the Hy-way my friend says he cant believe how quiet my car is. I hear more tire noise and exhaust from other cars than from mine.
    I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
    sigpic
    I'll Tattoo you anytime!
    And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
    Crazy Lady Ink
    Shakopee Mn.
    952-445-3281
    27 years in the tattooing biz

Comment

Hey Ron,
      Just spec one out! Measure the old one off Bess. Measure the body length, width, inlet and outlet diameter and weather they are offset or straight in line from each other. The exhaust has probably been changed through the years. Specking it out will insure a better fit. If the one they have is a little shorter you can weld on a short piece of pipe. If its a little too long, cut a piece of pipe off. You just don't want one that's too wide because of drive line clearance. I prefer glass packs. They sound great, easy to either weld or clamp on, and they are affordable. Call Kragen in Redding for a price on glass packs. Napa in Weaverville would have a book to spec mufflers.

Gordon

Comment

No fellas, I'm not the type that likes to hear the motor whilst driving. The quieter the better. Conversation is more important to me and besides, I have enough trouble hearing without the motor roaring in my ears. No, all I want is just a plain Jane muffler to keep the old girl at a genteel purr.

I also got some bad news today. Franklin's our best source of classic car bits has been bought out by No Auto Parts Available (N.A.P.A.). This will be a real blow to those of us with any make of classic car in the Redding area.
        Ron Smith

Comment

My local exhaust system guy always has mufflers for my Studebakers when I need them. I just take my cars to him as I hate doing exhaust system repairs. Bud

Comment

Ron, i did a bunch of online muffler shopping not too long ago. Cherry bomb (the company) is I think a division of Dynomax, and their stuff is inexpensive.
            They have more than just straight through glass-packs.
            For example, here's theit tech page on turbo mufflers, many sizes are here, just pick the one you want. http://www.cherrybomb.com/products/turbo

Comment

Yes Ron, their 87703 Oval Turbo Muffler should work fine on most Studes. and definitely Bess, you need a centered outlet and a offset inlet (inboard) and 2 in. head pipes, 1 3/4 in. tail pipes. So you buy the short 2" to 1 3/4 adapter, slip it on the outlet and are good to go!

A Turbo is just a shorter shell stock oval muffler, they do have a bit of a swooshing sound under hard acceleration but not roaring, or loud. Because of the shorter shell length usually a extension pipe is needed to get the tailpipe length right, if you use a stock tailpipe. You could put a short extension on and a curve down tip and forget the tailpipe if, cheaper is that important.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Dino-max for my dino-saur... how appropriate.

Thanks fellas! I knew you would come through! No Auto Parts Available is even listed as a dealer! Why doesn't that surprise me?

Now does anyone know if S.I.'s strap 526460 will work with a '56 Parkview? I too would like to take the car to a muffler shop, however, they would charge me labour and I can barely scrape the cash together for the parts right now.
                Last edited by studeclunker; 07-16-2010, 09:39 AM.
                Ron Smith

Comment

I am sure the 526640 would work, it is just a strip of tire casing with holes in each end, but your closest Muffler Shop would have it "in the pit", and probably be glad to sell you several different lengths even. If you need it NOW.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have those Dynomax cherry bomb mufflers on my 51. They are short, so I added some pipe to the rear to match up with the tail pipe. They are quiet at speed, but have a nice rumble at idle. They are very inexpensive. I have had them on the car for quite a while, 5 years anyway,and they still look like the day I put them on. I do not drive the car in bad weather though.
                    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
                    X