PintoLark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PintoLark?

Except for jamming a Pinto engine in there, and painting it flat black...
    It hasn't been molested?
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Many moons ago (25 years?) there was a '59 Lark in Cumming, had a stuck flathead, and was $500. It had little rust and a decent interior. It was black...dull black. I passed. It was a 4 door with a stuck 6...could it be the same car?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Comment

A "58 Studybaker"? Wrong on both counts.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I know some of you may be Pinto fans. However, from my pinto experience, I think I would rather have a "stuck flat head Studebaker six" than a Lark "stuck with a pinto engine."
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I would rip out the Pinto unit and find a way to attach a Stude 6 to that 5 speed.
          Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
          Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
          Lizella, GA

Comment

What a potential sleeper. There is more room for a big turbo with a pinto engine. There is a 2.3 turbo pinto at my home strip running 9.80's in the quarter. No the time isn't a typo.

Gordon

Comment

That's better than an Avanti with a K Car drivetrain!

And Gord is right, while I'd never do that to a Lark if I was offered one already set up that way, it worked and the price was right it would be something to think about. I don't know for sure but I bet the Pinto motor has more power than a Champion 6.

Keep in mind Ford put what amounted to turbo'd Pinto motors in T Birds (and did put them in Mustangs) so there is real potential in a Lark.

All that being said $1100 seems a bit steep for that car.
              Jeff DeWitt
              http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Aren't the Pinto engines four-cylinders? I don't suppose that a Pinto engine would be any worse than any other engine in a Studebaker. It would be very interesting to see just how the car performs. However, wasn't the Pinto a floor-shift car?
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Now a Lark with a 4 cylinder turbo diesel .... that would be more like it !!!
                  sigpic
                  John
                  63R-2386
                  Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by JeffDeWitt View Post
                    That's better than an Avanti with a K Car drivetrain!

And Gord is right, while I'd never do that to a Lark if I was offered one already set up that way, it worked and the price was right it would be something to think about. I don't know for sure but I bet the Pinto motor has more power than a Champion 6.

Keep in mind Ford put what amounted to turbo'd Pinto motors in T Birds (and did put them in Mustangs) so there is real potential in a Lark.
                    I do not remember four cylinder engines in any Thunderbird. Please refresh my memory. I do remember those engines in Mustangs.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

For studegary : http://www.adclassix.com/a4/87fordthunderbirdturbo.html

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        I do not remember four cylinder engines in any Thunderbird. Please refresh my memory. I do remember those engines in Mustangs.
                        I do. I worked with someone who owned a 1988 Turbo Coupe, which I believe was the last year for them. They were introduced in mid-1983.

Craig

Comment

I never knew about a 4 cylinder Thunderbird, but after a little searching I found this... In February of 1983, Ford sweetened the pot when it unveiled the Thunderbird Turbo coupe. The release of the turbo coupe turned a lot of heads. The car was available only with a 2.3 liter, turbocharged four-cylinder engine mated to a five-speed manual transmission. At the same time the turbo coupe was introduced, Ford also added the 5.0 liter V8 model.

I still don't think I would want a 4 cyl Thunderbird...turbo or otherwise.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                            Now a Lark with a 4 cylinder turbo diesel .... that would be more like it !!!
                            Ohh Ya!!! That would be fun. Or a Duramax Diesel for 1,000 ft lbs. of torque!!!
                            Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                            Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                            Lizella, GA

Comment

Thanks all! I guess that I had a hard day. I even knew someone that owned one of those TurboCoupe Thunderbirds. I didn't say that the post was incorrect, just that I didn't remember them, which, at the time, was the case.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X