PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Trunk Hinge repair

valleyguy
04-08-2007, 04:09 PM
This is just as info.. I have not been able to adjust my
trunk hinges to get a good trunk alignment; I read about this
particular weak spot in the Hawks, so I had mine repaired. I had
all the rivets replaced, so now is there is no slop in the hinges.
I also took an extra step and welded a gusset
underneath the top part of the hinge that bears the weight of the trunk; hopefully this will serve to strengthen the hinges and prevent future sagging.
http://usera.imagecave.com/jadiggle/Trunkhinge-2.jpg

Scott
04-08-2007, 10:15 PM
I'd like to know if that fixes your problem once you have it installed. I need my right side hinge rebuilt apparently. All the adjustment in the world plus shims won't bring the corner of the trunk lid in good contact with the weather seal. What did yours cost to do?

valleyguy
04-09-2007, 08:08 AM
Scott, I haven't installed them yet to see how it will work out but I think it will fix my problem;
I too had the most trouble with the right side.. the trunk lid was raised on that side and there just was not
enough adjustment left to bring it down. I noticed that the top part of the hinge was bent slightly
downward, compared to the left hinge, (from continued use??), so thats what made me think that it
was the weak spot. We'll see. I had a machine shop nenew all the pivot points; I didn't feel that I
could tackle that myself. I'm sure others could do it themselves. Having all
the rivets drilled out, holes resized and new rivets put in cost $100. Not cheap but cheaper than new ones-
which you can't find anyway.

Joe D.

N8N
04-09-2007, 12:38 PM
It certainly did on my '55. I had the same problem; was unable to adjust trunk lid for a tight, non-leaking fit. Two NOS hinges and a new weatherstrip later and it works perfectly.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

studelover
04-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Did anyone try to put washers under the trunk floor between the rear brace and the corner supports, we are currently adjusting that now, We had to send off for a trunk lock so we could close the trunk and make honest adjustments. I still need to install the weather stripping to make sure of a tight fit. One other problem we have is the hinges have a couple of bolts broken off in them any easy way to get them out?

Studebakers forever!

Scott
04-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Yes, I tried washers and anything else until there was no way to put more in and it still doesn't seal with the new weatherseal. :(

Champ51
09-29-2014, 09:06 AM
Valleyguy, how has re-riveting your trunk hinges worked?

bezhawk
09-29-2014, 10:48 AM
9 times out of ten it's not the hinges, it's the trunk lid is actually bent just aft of where the hinges attach t the lid itself. Once the grease dries up, people force thins, and don't realize the lid is bending. To fix, take a length of chain and bolt it under the rear bolts and then the other end to the stud anchor point on the inner fender. gently lift upwards on the back of the lid untill you see the kink work it's way out of the sheet metal keep tapping the sides of the channel of the inner structure as you lift on the lid. Once you get it reasonably straight, remove the chain, and lube the heck out of things. Try shutting it now, and you will be surprised how well things close.