My Truck Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Truck Projects

I became an "unofficial" truck farmer this week. I brought home a '49 2R15, a '57 Transtar Deluxe and a combination 2R5/'59 DeLuxe.

I fired up the 2R15 for a few seconds today, just to confirm that it will run. It shows 34K and is probably correct by looking it over. I'm not sure what the plan is for it right now, but I may remove the grain box and go from there.

The '57 Transtar is an E5, but the correct 185 is gone and it has a '54 champion engine with overdrive in it now. It was a good running engine, but the PO let it sit a couple years without running it and has been stuck for some time now. Not sure what the plan is on this one either, but I do have a complete V8 setup if I want to go that route.

The V8 setup brings me to the 2R/Transtar Deluxe combo. It's a 2R5 frame and cab with the '59 front clip and drive train from a 3/4 ton Deluxe. It has the '59s 289 3-speed with all the correct mounts, radiator, water housing etc for a swap into the '57. Unfortunately, the 289 suffered the same fate as the '57 and will need some work before an install.

Here's just a couple pics of them at home. I'll post progress as I get them cleaned up.

Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 07-16-2010, 08:42 AM. Reason: added info
    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Nice additions to your family! How did you find these?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Even with most of the paint missing, that '57 is still a good lookin' truck.

Can you post a picture of the inside of the cab? I want to see how the interior of two-toned trucks was done at the factory.

Comment

Brent, the trucks came from my friends collection of Studes. I've had my eye on the '57 for decades. My '60 Marshal and '60 convert both came from him also. I usually have to trade him a Stude to get one back, so the '58 Prez I just got is now his as part of the deal.

Matt, The '57 was originally Coppertone Metallic and white. Later it was painted red and then blue right over the old finishes, so all that paint helped protect it over the years. The only things not white in the interior are the gauge panel and glove box door which are a tan color. The dash pad is blue, but could have been changed when the truck was painted. I'll investigate closer after I get the interior cleaned up and post a pic.

Here's a pic of the '58 President with a "garden hose" paint job, just before I loaded it up to deliver it. I spent the rest of the day hauling home trucks, man I've got an understanding wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
          The only things not white in the interior are the gauge panel and glove box door which are a tan color.
          That's what I was thinking it should be. Just trying to make sure I get it right when I get around to painting my '59 pickup..

Since you have the 289 setup in the 2R, I'd definitely put that drivetrain in the '57. Looks like you have a decent start for a nice truck!

Comment

Don't forget, you can register that 2R15 on the 2R Registry web site, http://2rtruck.need-a-geek.com/ .
            Rick
            Kingman, AZ

Comment

I spent the rest of the day hauling home trucks, man I've got an understanding wife.
              That just confirms she's a keeper! Your '49 2R looks like a real keeper too! Nice old truck. That bed would be beautiful if it was cleaned up and varnished. Even if you had to replace the wood, it would be worth it! Some fellas have all the luck...
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Here's a pic of the '58 President with a "garden hose" paint job, just before I loaded it up to deliver it. I spent the rest of the day hauling home trucks, man I've got an understanding wife.

Skinny,

Wow, that '58 looks great in black and white.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Matt, I found that at least one door panel on the '57 was originally the tan color like the glove box and gauge panel. It looks like the inside got shot with some white during one of the repaints, so anything could have been changed.

Rick, I'll check into registering the 2R when the paperwork comes back. Thanks for the link.

Ron, the wood box sides are pretty good, but all the lower and side supports are bad as well as the floor. I've been told it could be a factory Studebaker box because of the rivet style used to assemble it, but I don't know for sure. Even if it is, I'm afraid it's coming off (in many small pieces). Being from South Dakota, I've driven grain trucks before and don't really need to own one. I'm thinking a vintage wrecker box replica on back and a push bumper for the front (if I keep it long enough).

Paul, funny you should mention liking the black and white on the Prez, that's the part my wife didn't like! Oh well, at least she really likes trucks.

Comment

black and white...that's the part my wife didn't like!

Women often don't like black or white choices like we men do. 8^)

Comment

I tried out my new reciprocating saw today and made quick work of the grain box, the grille gaurd is next. The landfill slip showed the box weighed just under 1000 pounds.

Next is some wiring and fuel system work, so I can move it around easier. I'll probably paint the wheels and leave the duals off for now. I may have a line on a pickup box, but nothing definate.

The Transtar is on the back burner for now. I've already got too many irons in the fire this summer, hopefully the weather holds off until late in the year!

Comment

I picked up a pretty good box for the 2R15 today. No rust, but the fenders are banged up and will need some attention. It had been used as a trailer with a custom camper built on it for years, so the bed and box sides are in great shape. I don't have a tail gate for it because the camper had a door, but the box was the important part. I'll post some pics when I get the box on the truck.

Comment

I pulled the duals off and sat the box in place today. I need to straighten out some things on the lower edges and fenders, but overall it's in pretty good shape.

I'll concentrate on getting it running good next. The title work is still a couple weeks out, so I've got some time to do a few more things before it gets put up for sale. I hope to find new homes for about 3 or 4 project Studes before Winter.

Comment

I hope the new owner doesn't mind, but I just couldn't resist working on the 2R15 today. I pulled the plugs and did a cold compression test first (95-105), then I pulled the top of the carb and got the pump passage cleaned out. I disconnected the accessory wires from the switch and dropped in a 12V battery. A little priming to get the fuel pump to work (hooked up to a gas can) and she was running.

After warming it up for about 15-20 minutes, the temp gauge did start to climb a little high. I couldn't see any real movement of the coolant, so I pulled the thermostat housing off to see if it was stuck. Well, I'm either looking in the wrong place or there's no thermostat to stick. After putting it back together, I decided to do a quick test drive and call it good.

When it's cold the oil pressure is at 40 pounds idling, but fully warmed up (or a bit over warmed) it drops to 15-20 at idle and still goes to 40 easily with some RPM's. I made a few trips up the driveway and back, so I can say I drove it anyway. I had a couple nice shifts with the "crash box" without trying to hold the camera, but the shift in the video is fair at best - oh well, it was still fun!

Comment

Boy, I love that 2R15. It would be really cool with the duals and widened rear fenders.
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X