PDA

View Full Version : This smells like a Scam

royvaldez
07-14-2010, 09:05 AM
I got this today. I wounder if anyone got this from my ad from Craigs list. Here it is:

diana wembly to me
show details 11:48 PM (7 hours ago)

Thanks For Getting back to me ..I am buying this item for my brother
in-law as a Birthday Gift and i am at sea at the moment as i am a
marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making
and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to
check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want it
to be a surprise for my brother in-law so i wont let him know anything
about it until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more
than happy with it. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access
to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can
pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i
will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i
can make the payments asap for it and pls if you don't have paypal
account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to paypal so as to put the money
through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it up after i
have made the payment.

Has anyone recieved this message similar to this. Smells like a big Scam?

bridgegaurd
07-14-2010, 09:53 AM
I got this today. I wounder if anyone got this from my ad from Craigs list. Here it is:

diana wembly to me
show details 11:48 PM (7 hours ago)

Thanks For Getting back to me ..I am buying this item for my brother
in-law as a Birthday Gift and i am at sea at the moment as i am a
marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making
and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to
check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want it
to be a surprise for my brother in-law so i wont let him know anything
about it until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more
than happy with it. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access
to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can
pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i
will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i
can make the payments asap for it and pls if you don't have paypal
account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to paypal and get
it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail
address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money
through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it up after i
have made the payment.

Has anyone recieved this message similar to this. Smells like a big Scam?
Yes i have, this sounds like a phishing scam. 1st hint bad speech==phone calls making. For your own safety do not answer this. If he has a so called agent why doesn't the agent just buy it for him.

Dougie
07-14-2010, 10:01 AM
This is one of the very common craigslist scams. Craigslist is great, but the first rule is: Oonly deal in person, and the second is: Cash Only. Follow these two rules and you'll never have a problem.

glen
07-14-2010, 10:11 AM
What looks like a "duck", sounds like a "duck" and walks
like a "duck".......is a "duck"! Stay away from it and "nuke"
the message! :cool:

candbstudebakers
07-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Send it to Pay-pal and see what they say, they can tell you if he is a pay-pal member, funny thing about this that he never states what the item he want is, that makes it sound that he is just out fishing .

wolfie
07-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Sounds like a scam but using paypal is a new twist from any I have seen. As Bob suggested forward it to spoof@paypal.com and see what they say. Steve

jclary
07-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Hey! I like my brother-in-law...but if you get an e-mail from me even hinting of buying him a gift of any kind...YOU CAN BANK ON IT BEING A SCAM!

55champion
07-14-2010, 11:42 AM
I'd stay away from that....

JBOYLE
07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
It's right up there with the broken English emails asking if your car is for sale...
and the ones from Africa asking you to help move $32 million out of a country...and you get to keep 20%.

royvaldez
07-14-2010, 01:25 PM
I have sent a copy to Pay Pal.

Gunslinger
07-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Run fast, run far!

bob40
07-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Third rule to Craigslist. Meet at a location other than your home. I meet everyone buying from me in a grocery parking lot and have hauled items in my trailer to avoid letting people I dont know anywhere near where I live. If I am buying something I ask to meet somewhere public.Paranoid? Years ago I was showing a car to a guy at my house and 2 days later caught him back at the house in the middle of the day snooping around.Lastly,there have been reports of scam thugs listing items for sale for under value and insisting on cash then robbing the victims when they show up to buy.

jclary
07-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Third rule to Craigslist. Meet at a location other than your home. I meet everyone buying from me in a grocery parking lot and have hauled items in my trailer to avoid letting people I dont know anywhere near where I live. If I am buying something I ask to meet somewhere public.Paranoid? Years ago I was showing a car to a guy at my house and 2 days later caught him back at the house in the middle of the day snooping around.Lastly,there have been reports of scam thugs listing items for sale for under value and insisting on cash then robbing the victims when they show up to buy.

Unfortunately, meeting in a public place is not always safe either. A few years ago, a local prominent citizen here was selling his Suburban either on Craigslist or eBay and agreed to meet the prospective buyers at a public intersection. At this particular location there is a restaurant and a large busy convenience store. Somehow he was overpowered, kidnapped, and his body was later found in a freezer in a storage unit in Tennessee.

Kdancy
07-14-2010, 04:34 PM
I have bought several things on Craigslist in other states, using paypal with no problems.
However, the above note has scam written all over it.

Nelsen Motorsports
07-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Some guy wanted me to send a complete big block Mopar engine out to Arizona, he had excuses, a funny, made up name, and strange things like this.

JJWMACHINECO
07-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Forth rule. Never except a Paypal payment for anything you are selling, The scam artist knows how to take your item and get there money back too. It may be a month or two, sometimes even longer from the time you received the Paypal payment and they end up filing a dispute or CC chargeback. Paypal has a bad reputation on mostly finding for the buyer or sender of the funds. Once a Paypal dispute is filed, they automatically deduct that amount from your account until it's resolved which could drag on for a very long time. If you do not have the funds in there, your account goes into a negative balance. Paypal is a scam artist paradise.

It looks like a big scam to me, especially because they are wanting to pay with Paypal.

gohdes
07-14-2010, 10:48 PM
scam, yes.
anything that asks how much to pay is always a scam. Note they ask for your email and the price? (not to mention bad grammar, probably from a language converter software or something). If they really saw your ad, they would know how much it is. this was automatically generated and sent to thousands of listings. And as mentioned previously, they mention nothing about the actual item.
I have gotten more scam emails from craigslist lately than real ones. It's getting terrible.

JBOYLE
07-15-2010, 10:39 AM
If they spend more time telling you how they're going to pay for it than asking questions about the item itself, it's a scam.
:)

stude62
07-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Its a scam.

If the grammar doesn't get you, if the rambling sentences don't concern you, and even if the circumstances seem too far fetched, what sane person would go this far for an in-law? And trust me - I LOVE MY IN-LAWS! But really? Think about.

jlmccuan
07-03-2011, 05:50 PM
He's back. Offered to buy my Avanti, sight unseen as a gift. Marine engineer, the whole bit. We'll see if $50,000 shows up in my Paypal account.

First email
Hello,
I came across your ad and I'll like to know the following questions
regarding the ad.

Q#1. How long have you owned it?
Q#2. a) Have you owned it from new? b) If not how many previous owner?
Q#3.Why are you selling it?
Q#4. In your opinion, what sort of conditions it?
Q#5. Any available photo?
Q#6. How much are you asking for it?
Q#7. Do you accept a (PayPal)as a mode of payment.

I'll like to have the response to these question in your earliest
convenience...Email me at wilcraig@rediffmail.com....Hope to hear from you soon.

Have a nice day.

Wil Craig.

Second email
Thanks for the quick response,I am located in Brooklyn Ny.i am buying this 1963 R2 Avanti for someone as a surprise gift,I am okay with the price due to my occupation as a marine engineer at this moment i am presently working offshore,sometimes access to regular email are very poor in offshore due to inefficiency of the immarsat service.Fortunately the internet access working averagely today and i was able to come across the advert of 1963 R2 Avanti . I really want the 1963 R2 Avanti to be a surprise by not disclosing the 1963 R2 Avanti until the delivery is made to him,so am sure he will be more than happy with the 1963 R2 Avanti.I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking,but i can pay from my PayPal account,as i have my bank a/c attached to it,i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment as soon as possible for the 1963 R2 Avanti and please if you don't have PayPal account yet,it is very easy to set up at your bank and get it set up,after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through..Notice you don't need to bother your self about the shipment,i have an pick-up agent that will come for pick-up,they will also determine and secure the shipment,Hope to read from you soon.

Do Have a nice day,

My Best Regard.

Ads have only been on the SDC, Avanti, Racing Studebakers, My Classic Car, and Turning Wheels. My guess is the My Classic Car forum, but the link to pics was there too. The only ad without pics was in TW. Maybe he'll tell me where he saw it.

Jim

showbizkid
07-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Yep - absolute scam. Sounds Ukrainian to me from the sentence structure.

barnlark
07-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Come on, every time I'm at sea I buy a car for someone else. It's very common. You guys are so cynical. :rolleyes:

Warren Webb
07-04-2011, 02:28 AM
Looks to me like a form letter setup with just "1963 R-2 Avanti" inserted where it calls for a description.