PDA

View Full Version : Rare Canadian Commander "Special"

StudeRich
04-08-2007, 03:01 PM
JDP, those Commander "Specials" mentioned in your '64 Amber Pk. Lt. post were very rare models, apparently near the end of '64 Canadian production they had lots of extra Daytona interiors (door panels, 1/4 trim panels with the Daytona design & bucket seats made in house (in S.B.)for Hardtops. Problem was, not enough people bought the estimated number of the unpopular colors Green, and Brown SB had made. So they sent them to Canada came and up with this option right before they shut down Canadian '64 production. Oh, it also included Carpeting, that Commanders did not have.

The stainless drip rail mouldings, circle "S" "C" pillar emblem, the hood ornament and stainless body side mouldings were all STANDARD on Commander! They did not go the "last mile" though, and include stainless side window mouldings like a '63 Lark Custom or a '65 Sport sedan) The dual headlights were an option ordered on your car.

It is difficult to say if your car was a "Special" because there are no bucket seats and the door panels have been re-covered like the seats. If you have a build slip that proves it WAS a "Special", then maybe there were some built with bench seat or the seat was replaced when the interior was re-done.

There was one of these Commander 2dr. sedan Specials on the showroom floor when Dad & I bought his Canadian '64 Daytona HT in Dec.'64. It was a neat car: Jet Green (dark) with a tan bucket seat Daytona interior and a 289 with Powershift Auto. trans. [^]

Our SDC Northwest Zone Coordinator Brian Curtis, owned one of these Commander Specials and drove it many, many miles in Canadian & Washington rain and snow before the body finally rotted away. :(

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

JDP
04-08-2007, 03:22 PM
OK, it did not have buckets, so that must mean it was just a optioned out Commander.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert-63
63 Lark 2 door
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

JDP
04-08-2007, 03:22 PM
OK, it did not have buckets, so that must mean it was just a optioned out Commander.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert-63
63 Lark 2 door
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

BobPalma
04-08-2007, 04:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

JDP, those Commander "Specials" mentioned in your '64 Amber Pk. Lt. post were very rare models, apparently near the end of '64 Canadian production they had lots of extra Daytona interiors (door panels, 1/4 trim panels with the Daytona design & bucket seats made in house (in S.B.)for Hardtops. Problem was, not enough people bought the estimated number of the unpopular colors Green, and Brown SB had made. So they sent them to Canada came and up with this option right before they shut down Canadian '64 production. Oh, it also included Carpeting, that Commanders did not have.

The stainless drip rail mouldings, circle "S" "C" pillar emblem, the hood ornament and stainless body side mouldings were all STANDARD on Commander! They did not go the "last mile" though, and include stainless side window mouldings like a '63 Lark Custom or a '65 Sport sedan) The dual headlights were an option ordered on your car.

It is difficult to say if your car was a "Special" because there are no bucket seats and the door panels have been re-covered like the seats. If you have a build slip that proves it WAS a "Special", then maybe there were some built with bench seat or the seat was replaced when the interior was re-done.

There was one of these Commander 2dr. sedan Specials on the showroom floor when Dad & I bought his Canadian '64 Daytona HT in Dec.'64. It was a neat car: Jet Green (dark) with a tan bucket seat Daytona interior and a 289 with Powershift Auto. trans. [^]

Our SDC Northwest Zone Coordinator Brian Curtis, owned one of these Commander Specials and drove it many, many miles in Canadian & Washington rain and snow before the body finally rotted away. :(

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

[:0] Fred Fox's research might not support "all the above," Rich. :( Here's a quote from Fred's article on Page 10, February 1993 Turning Wheels, regarding what happened when production was shifted to the Hamilton Plant January 1, 1964:

"To counter the limited offerings of sporty interiors, a new model called the Commander Special was introduced. The Commander Special was a 2-door sedan (F-body) with a Daytona interior, dual headlights, and other special deluxe features. It cost only $130 more than a regular Commander 2-door; a good buy. Bucket seats were available at extra cost on the Commander Special." [Emphasis added.] ;)

There were no corrections or changes regarding that information in Fred's "Recaps" of that article in the June 1993 Turning Wheels. ;)

I believe JP's car, here, could be a Commander Special. [:p] BP

BobPalma
04-08-2007, 04:07 PM

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

[:0] Fred Fox's research might not support "all the above," Rich. :( Here's a quote from Fred's article on Page 10, February 1993 Turning Wheels, regarding what happened when production was shifted to the Hamilton Plant January 1, 1964:

"To counter the limited offerings of sporty interiors, a new model called the Commander Special was introduced. The Commander Special was a 2-door sedan (F-body) with a Daytona interior, dual headlights, and other special deluxe features. It cost only $130 more than a regular Commander 2-door; a good buy. Bucket seats were available at extra cost on the Commander Special." [Emphasis added.] ;)

There were no corrections or changes regarding that information in Fred's "Recaps" of that article in the June 1993 Turning Wheels. ;)

I believe JP's car, here, could be a Commander Special. [:p] BP

JDP
04-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Well poop, it did have carpets and Daytona trim on the seats that's I covered over, so maybe.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert-63
63 Lark 2 door
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

JDP
04-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Well poop, it did have carpets and Daytona trim on the seats that's I covered over, so maybe.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert-63
63 Lark 2 door
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

StudeRich
04-08-2007, 04:20 PM
You are correct (as usual) Bob. Did you note this:

If you have a build slip that proves it WAS a "Special", then maybe there were some built with bench seat or the seat was replaced when the interior was re-done.

As I said, it is impossible to tell without a build slip, because all four interior trim panels have been recovered with very nice pleated vinyl like a '60 Lark Regal, even the seats! Since that's what was "special" and it's gone...who knows!

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeRich
04-08-2007, 04:20 PM
You are correct (as usual) Bob. Did you note this:

If you have a build slip that proves it WAS a "Special", then maybe there were some built with bench seat or the seat was replaced when the interior was re-done.

As I said, it is impossible to tell without a build slip, because all four interior trim panels have been recovered with very nice pleated vinyl like a '60 Lark Regal, even the seats! Since that's what was "special" and it's gone...who knows!

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

JDP
04-08-2007, 04:55 PM
OK, it's a very early car C1000347, so it's highly unlikely to be a special if they were indeed late production.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert-63
63 Lark 2 door
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

JDP
04-08-2007, 04:55 PM
OK, it's a very early car C1000347, so it's highly unlikely to be a special if they were indeed late production.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert-63
63 Lark 2 door
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

BobPalma
04-08-2007, 05:06 PM
:) You think we're gonna get JP to cough up the tariff for a build slip? [:0] BP

BobPalma
04-08-2007, 05:06 PM
:) You think we're gonna get JP to cough up the tariff for a build slip? [:0] BP

nels
04-08-2007, 05:39 PM
I just sold a 64 Commander Special. It had the Daytona seat trim on the bucket seats but it still retained the Commander door panels, not Daytona.

nels
04-08-2007, 05:39 PM
I just sold a 64 Commander Special. It had the Daytona seat trim on the bucket seats but it still retained the Commander door panels, not Daytona.

StudeRich
04-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Interesting! Since I have no documentation on that and ALL Canadian imports were pretty late production, I don't know. I think it IS a "Special"! [^]

If you removed the original seat covers yourself, and you ought to know the distinctive Daytona covers with the square "biscuits" at the top of the seat back, this changes everything! I've only owned 12 '64 Daytonas, you probably had at least that many!

The combo of dual headlights, carpet and Daytona seats would pretty much confirm that it WAS a "Special"! [:0][^]

OK if this helps any, the Comm. Special was sitting right next to our Daytona on Dec. 24,1964 when Dad bought it, and its (the Daytonas) Ser. was 64C500969. Incidentally, it was identical to JDP's eBay car everything except the cloth inserts in the seats, ours was all vinyl!

No Bob, I wasn't trying to convince JDP to cough up $45.00 for a sold car, LOL...I know better! :D

quote:Originally posted by JDP

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeRich
04-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Interesting! Since I have no documentation on that and ALL Canadian imports were pretty late production, I don't know. I think it IS a "Special"! [^]

If you removed the original seat covers yourself, and you ought to know the distinctive Daytona covers with the square "biscuits" at the top of the seat back, this changes everything! I've only owned 12 '64 Daytonas, you probably had at least that many!

The combo of dual headlights, carpet and Daytona seats would pretty much confirm that it WAS a "Special"! [:0][^]

OK if this helps any, the Comm. Special was sitting right next to our Daytona on Dec. 24,1964 when Dad bought it, and its (the Daytonas) Ser. was 64C500969. Incidentally, it was identical to JDP's eBay car everything except the cloth inserts in the seats, ours was all vinyl!

No Bob, I wasn't trying to convince JDP to cough up $45.00 for a sold car, LOL...I know better! :D

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

BobPalma
04-08-2007, 06:16 PM

:) It has always been my understanding that the Commander Special was available soon after, if not right when, production shifted to Hamilton January 1, 1964. If you read all of Fred Fox's article I referenced, it is implied (but, I stress, [u]not stated outright</u>) that the Commander Special was made available right at the production shift; that they were not "late production." ;)

If so, as I've maintained all along, I believe JP's car could indeed be a Commander Special. [:p] BP

BobPalma
04-08-2007, 06:16 PM

:) It has always been my understanding that the Commander Special was available soon after, if not right when, production shifted to Hamilton January 1, 1964. If you read all of Fred Fox's article I referenced, it is implied (but, I stress, [u]not stated outright</u>) that the Commander Special was made available right at the production shift; that they were not "late production." ;)

If so, as I've maintained all along, I believe JP's car could indeed be a Commander Special. [:p] BP

bondobilly
04-08-2007, 06:28 PM
quote:[i]

OK if this helps any, the Comm. Special was sitting right next to our Daytona on Dec. 24,1964 when Dad bought it, and its Ser. was 64C500969.

Your going to have to forgive me, but I got to ask. Why in the world or how in the world, would anyone, take down serial numbers of cars in a showroom, and have that information onhand 43 years later.

I turned 20 in 12/64, and would have never thought of writing down the serial number of the other Mustangs that were in the show room of Scarsdale Ford.

I am not making fun of the statement, just astonished/amazed/blown out of the water............but I do not doubt you. BUT WHY??[?]:D[:0]

BG

bondobilly
04-08-2007, 06:28 PM
quote:[i]

OK if this helps any, the Comm. Special was sitting right next to our Daytona on Dec. 24,1964 when Dad bought it, and its Ser. was 64C500969.

Your going to have to forgive me, but I got to ask. Why in the world or how in the world, would anyone, take down serial numbers of cars in a showroom, and have that information onhand 43 years later.

I turned 20 in 12/64, and would have never thought of writing down the serial number of the other Mustangs that were in the show room of Scarsdale Ford.

I am not making fun of the statement, just astonished/amazed/blown out of the water............but I do not doubt you. BUT WHY??[?]:D[:0]

BG

JDP
04-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Don't know about the green one, but my white one is Canadian with the white steering wheel and funky flags.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300099883245

64 Commander-64 Daytona
64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert-63
63 Lark 2 door
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

JDP
04-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Don't know about the green one, but my white one is Canadian with the white steering wheel and funky flags.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300099883245

64 Commander-64 Daytona
64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert-63
63 Lark 2 door
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

StudeRich
04-08-2007, 06:55 PM
You are absolutely right Bill, I would not have a clue what the Commander's serial # was! The "it's" refers to OUR Daytona which I was talking about. I have it's original registration right here I am looking at it, although Dad died in 1989 and the car was sold in 1998 to Bill Oliver at Stude. Parts & Service in Long Beach, CA. -I clarified the post now! Thanks!:)

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeRich
04-08-2007, 06:55 PM
You are absolutely right Bill, I would not have a clue what the Commander's serial # was! The "it's" refers to OUR Daytona which I was talking about. I have it's original registration right here I am looking at it, although Dad died in 1989 and the car was sold in 1998 to Bill Oliver at Stude. Parts & Service in Long Beach, CA. -I clarified the post now! Thanks!:)

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

8E45E
04-08-2007, 07:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

[quote]Originally posted by JDP

Bob, I have the 1964 Color & Upholstery white binder with the (Rev. 1-64) insert inside. It has an availability box for the Commander Special, so indeed, it was 'right when' production shifted to Hamilton.

Craig

Craig

8E45E
04-08-2007, 07:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

[quote]Originally posted by JDP

Bob, I have the 1964 Color & Upholstery white binder with the (Rev. 1-64) insert inside. It has an availability box for the Commander Special, so indeed, it was 'right when' production shifted to Hamilton.

Craig

Craig

BobPalma
04-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Thanks, Craig. BP

BobPalma
04-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Thanks, Craig. BP