Wheels & Tires: a beginners question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels & Tires: a beginners question

I have 52 Commander and I have at least one wheel which needs to be replaced (don't ask). I have been offered (free) wheels from a 1950 (five lug) Studebaker. Will they be the same size (width/offset) as the 52?

I have learned that stock sized tires 7.10X15 may be difficult to find when the time comes but my question is, what is it about the steering geometry of this era of Studebaker that makes it less compatible with radial tire technology? Facts and opinions welcome, just try to identify which is which.

False rumor, there IS NO compatibility issue at all, most here with many miles of use will agree, that in most cases with good alignment, and not worn out suspension and steering parts, there IS no problem! Some people do prefer to keep their cars looking more correct though, and rounded shoulder tires do not look 100% correct even with correct wide for '47-'62 or narrow for '63-'66 whitewalls.

The cars do have center point steering, that requires the steering gear be centered (on it's high spot) as it was built/assembled and some Negative Caster, Positive Camber and some Toe-in, to keep it tracking straight. When you get it wrong or have worn parts that cause it to be wrong, you will know it, it WILL wander, and not always go exactly where you point it. Sometimes Radials can aggravate these existing conditions.

About the '50, 5 lug wheels, NO your '52 has 5 on 4 1/2" center same as Ford & Chrysler. If these are 5 lug from a '50 that means they are COMMANDER wheels (in '50 & prior it mattered), they are the same bolt pattern as a Stude. Truck or Chev. Car and will not work.
    You need 1951 to 1957 wheels from any Stude. Car with the three slots for the hub cap clips (if the small caps were installed on the car) but that would be the correct 15X5 Inch Stude. wheel to match the track of the other 3.

Also, you will NOT have a problem finding P215X75R15 Radial Tires if you hurry before the Cooper Trendsetter SE and Firestone FR380 narrow white wall (or reversed to black) tires are discontinued, they are fazing out the 75 aspect ratio tires rather quickly and also the sharp looking narrow Whites. These are both under $100.00 a tire, not expensive, but decent tires if you can live without those really EXPENSIVE, dated looking, Wide Whites. Probably a 4 or 5 point deduction at an International Meet judging, but some people prefer driveability to perfectly correct and costly.

That Starliner looks a lot like the two-tone green one that sold at a Laramie, WY Estate sale of Holler's Welding and Studebaker Garage, it was a nice running Overdrive Commander, I've forgotten which State it went to, but it was a nice, original, but not perfect car.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-13-2010, 11:11 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich sure has has great knowledge of the sistuation. I just put 205x75x15 Wide Whites on my 51 Champ Convertible.
      As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the old style ,mine just would not look right with skinny white walls.
      as far as points go Iheard the judging is allowing newer style tires in the name of safety with out deducting points.

Comment

You're correct, there are no longer points deducted for radial tires. It is nice though to see the correct whitewall size. It is very noticable when a 50's car has a one inch wide whitewall. I want to mention that is acceptable on all model years to have black wall tires. However cars are much more attractive with the correct whitewalls. A couple problems with radials are that if you do heavy driving it's been recommended to use a radial tire approved wheel. Most or all cars that came equiped with bias ply tires would not have the correct wheels. The second problem is that the wheel cover will creep and may cause the valve stem to leak or even break. This can sometimes be corrected by bending the clips so that the cover will have resistance to spinning. One more thing your speedometer will read about 10 miles per hour fast, due the smaller diameter of the radial, but they do handle much better than bais ply.

Don.
        Last edited by GTHawk; 07-23-2010, 05:48 PM.
        don

Comment

Yrs ago I attempted to fit larger tires on my '64 Avanti..........I found that only the 205X75X15 looked correct and did not present any problems with sharp turns or rubbing.....I run Pirelli 400 series.......after yrs of 'American' brands.

Paid the princely sum of 55.00 each........plus the usual mounting fees.

Comment

Working...
          X