Carb temps 63 Avanti R1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb temps 63 Avanti R1

Just saw the other post on engine temps on Avanti, but what is the most effective way to keep the gas from boiling in the carb during hot days? I heard there are spacer kits and something about removing the heat riser? I have a modern Edelbrock Perfomer series which has been working great but not as great in hot weather since I do more local short distance driving.

Most Stude V8s don't have room under the carb for much of a spacer.

If most of your driving is in the summer, remove the butterfly valve under the exhaust manifold and slip two pieces of 1/16" stainless steel under the intake manifold to block the exhaust crossover.

One other trick which can help is to add a fuel pressure regulator which has a return line. Keeping fuel moving prevents vapor lock and boiling.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I installed a new E carb (500 cfm) on my Avanti........I also replaced the carb to intake gaskets with those from Mr. Gasket....which cut down on a good deal of heat transfer to the carb body. Also to cut down on heat penetrating the steel gas line I wrapped heat wrap (Summit Racing) around the lines from the fuel pump to the carb inlet............what a difference.........no longer peculates.

Comment

I also replaced the heat riser valve with a spacer provided by Jon Myer.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          /Cut/One other trick which can help is to add a fuel pressure regulator which has a return line. Keeping fuel moving prevents vapor lock and boiling.jack vines
          Well since Jaybot has an Avanti, it should already have that, I wonder if it is hooked up and working?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Nice! I just ordered these items. Regarding heat wrapping or return line.... should I do both? Also, I recently had my mechanic put in a mechanical pump he said was high performance version from studebaker. Is that the correct one for Avanti? Thanks for your help.

Comment

Lastly, I have an E Carb (600 CFM). Are there any performance issues I should notice compared to the 500 CFM?

Comment

600 is overkill!

Comment

why not.......I also wrapped my starter motor.......

Comment

Working...
                  X