little stuff not worth anything but rarely you come acrossed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• little stuff not worth anything but rarely you come acrossed

I have thou the years found several headlight rings from the 49 thou 59 series pickups . I have the cast Chrome and A set of cast Painted ones from my Scotty.

I found a set of the originals off my father in laws 53 which are pressed thin metal. These are the only ones I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of them . I wonder if any of you have come across any I'm guessing they didn't make to many of them. Their rusted but still savable and as far as I'm concerned not worth much as far as value go's. I'm just curious if any of you have seen many of them as these are the only ones I've ever come across.

I'm guessing due to the other manufacture's During 52 & 3 it had to do with the shortage on chroming due to the Korean War I know Chevy and some of the other company's had poor Quality chrome those years.
    Last edited by JunkYarDog; 07-13-2010, 07:20 PM.

little stuff not worth anything but rarely you come across

I have thou the years found several headlight rings from the 49 thou 59 series pickups . I have the cast Chrome and A set of cast Painted ones from my Scotty.

I found a set of the originals off my father in laws 53 which are pressed thin metal. These are the only ones I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of them . I wonder if any of you have come across any I'm guessing they didn't make to many of them. Their rusted but still savable and as far as I'm concerned not worth much as far as value go's. I'm just curious if any of you have seen many of them as these are the only ones I've ever come across. They were Chrome plated but the chrome is mostly gone off them now.

Comment

My brother has collected several of those stamped headlight rings for the R trucks. He figures they would be easier to get rechromed compared to pitted cast pieces.
      We also have some for a 52 car. As you said we don't know the history or origin of the parts.
      Last edited by 52-fan; 07-14-2010, 05:48 AM.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

There are also "tin" headlight rims for 41-42 cars.
        I've got 2 on my car, one stainless and the other rusty. Anybody know their origin?

Comment

I've got at least one pair of pressed-steel rims for the 2R series trucks, too. Rusty, but they could be saved. I figure if I ever want "show chrome" rims, I'll patch these by brazing a patch over the rusted areas from the inside, and filling any pits with brass, then send out for polish and plate. Should yield a better job than trying to plate pitted pot metal.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Can you post a picture? I've never seen steel headlight rims for 2Rs.

Comment

Another Item I'd love to find is the Valve cover decal for the Thunderbolt V-8 which say Studebaker Thunderbolt on the covers , The engine is actually a Chevy 283 they came in the 64 Commanders. It would be outstanding if I could find some to put on the replacement motor in my sons 52 "R" it has a small block Chevy in it now. It would be great to have those decals on his motor and seeing Studebaker used the Chevy small block from the factory it would be generically correct.

Comment

SI lists a "thunderbolt" engine decal on their web catalog -- search "decals". Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Comment

I was thinking the Chevy engine came only in the '65-'66. Did it come in '64 too?

John

Comment

[QUOTE=Johnnywiffer;473038]I was thinking the Chevy engine came only in the '65-'66. Did it come in '64 too?

You are thinking correctly. The GM engines only came in the 1965-1966 model years of Studebakers. All 1964 model year Studebaker cars used Studebaker engines.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

"TIN"

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                        Can you post a picture? I've never seen steel headlight rims for 2Rs.
                        Sure you have Matthew, you just never ask about them.
                        Bo

Comment

Thanks JunkYarDog. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any and if I did, I didn't know they were regular steel. I have original chromed pot metal ones, painted pot metal ones (Scotsman), and a new repop set of chrome ones which are pretty dang nice.

Bo, that very well might be the case. I've learned to not be surprised anymore when it comes to what a person's parts inventory might contain...

Comment

I saw a 64 Commander with the Chevy 283 in it with the Studebaker decals on the valve covers , Yes somebody may have did something like put the motor in the 64 and or the ad for the car may have been wrong for the year . Maybe it was a late 64.

Comment

No contest here I'll believe 65 and 66 only , God knows what Studie did or a Owner , the car in question was posted on the net as a 64 and it had a Chevy motor for sure . So either somebody put it in it or Studie registered the car early for 65 sales. Just as I think I have something figured out I find something new But I remember back in 1969 I was looking at a Chevy powered factory unit and I wanted it but didn't have the money and what attracted me to it was the Chevy motor.

To this day I figure if someone wants to replace the Studebaker motor then you should change it over to a Chevy , Because Studebaker themselves used Chevrolet motors.
                              Last edited by JunkYarDog; 07-30-2010, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X