This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping an engine

Hello, I thought, I would bring this up to the forum. I am thinking of purchasing a engine located in Lykens, Pa. It is an in-line 8 with a hydormatic. It is not a stude motor, but I need your input. What would be the best way to ship this motor to Sacramento, Ca. The best way meaning costs. Please advise. Need your ideas.

The best way I've found to ship heavy stuff is to strap it down on a standard pallet and take it to the local shipper. Get quotes from several shippers, and ask if there are any discounts available when you ask for the quote. Take the palletized item down to the shipping dock, and have them weigh and load the item with a fork lift. Give the shipper a bill of lading for the pallet. Bill of lading forms are available on the internet, and blank templates are available in Microsoft word or other word processing programs. Get the shipment serial number (known as a "pro number") from the shipper. Call your receiving party and give them the pro number. Track the shipment by telephone. When the pallet arrives at your local dock, go down there and have it loaded on your pickup with a fork lift - pay with a check on the spot. If the shipper insists on a certified check only, or cash, find this out in advance and bring the check or cash with you. get a receipt. If there is any shipping damage, do not accept the shipment until after you have made the claim and had them accept it. Most of the cost in shipping heavy items is pickup and delivery locally at the two end points. If you deliver and they pickup at the dock, you eliminate that cost.
    Plan B is to get someone going to Omaha to trailer it to Omaha, and someone returning from Omaha to take it the rest of the way. Probably cheaper, even if you offer to help with gas!

Comment

The best way I've found to ship heavy stuff is to strap it down on a standard pallet and take it to the local shipper. Get quotes from several shippers, and ask if there are any discounts available when you ask for the quote. Take the palletized item down to the shipping dock, and have them weigh and load the item with a fork lift. Give the shipper a bill of lading for the pallet. Bill of lading forms are available on the internet, and blank templates are available in Microsoft word or other word processing programs. Get the shipment serial number (known as a "pro number") from the shipper. Call your receiving party and give them the pro number. Track the shipment by telephone. When the pallet arrives at your local dock, go down there and have it loaded on your pickup with a fork lift - pay with a check on the spot. If the shipper insists on a certified check only, or cash, find this out in advance and bring the check or cash with you. get a receipt. If there is any shipping damage, do not accept the shipment until after you have made the claim and had them accept it. Most of the cost in shipping heavy items is pickup and delivery locally at the two end points. If you deliver and they pickup at the dock, you eliminate that cost.
      Plan B is to get someone going to Omaha to trailer it to Omaha, and someone returning from Omaha to take it the rest of the way. Probably cheaper, even if you offer to help with gas!

Comment

I would echo what Whacker posted. Be sure that any external parts (i.e. carb and distributor) are well protected. I sent a Champ motor and transmission once where the distributor got crushed. Be sure that you know how much it weighs so you can get an accurate quote, I got burned once when I underestimated the weight.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I would echo what Whacker posted. Be sure that any external parts (i.e. carb and distributor) are well protected. I sent a Champ motor and transmission once where the distributor got crushed. Be sure that you know how much it weighs so you can get an accurate quote, I got burned once when I underestimated the weight.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I have shipped quite a few parts, to myself and others. One being a 1 ton Stude rear, I used a service called freightquote.com where you put in the info and they come back instantly with several quotes. From there you select your shipper. Its best to have dock to dock service, and you just drive to your local terminal and pick it up. Of course, on the shipping end you would need the person willing to do the same unless they were a business with a loading dock.

Norm
            58 Transtar 1 ton dually PU
            58 2 door wagon
            Davenport, Fl
            Norm
            58 2 door wagon
            Davenport, Fl

Comment

I have shipped quite a few parts, to myself and others. One being a 1 ton Stude rear, I used a service called freightquote.com where you put in the info and they come back instantly with several quotes. From there you select your shipper. Its best to have dock to dock service, and you just drive to your local terminal and pick it up. Of course, on the shipping end you would need the person willing to do the same unless they were a business with a loading dock.

Norm
              58 2 door wagon
              Davenport, Fl
              Norm
              58 2 door wagon
              Davenport, Fl

Comment

Has anyone here used uship.com ?
                It works like ebay. You list what you have to ship, when and where, and shippers and independent truckers bid on the job.
                There's feedback scores just like ebay. I haven't. Just asking.

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                33 Rockne 10
                51 Commander Starlight
                53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Has anyone here used uship.com ?
                  It works like ebay. You list what you have to ship, when and where, and shippers and independent truckers bid on the job.
                  There's feedback scores just like ebay. I haven't. Just asking.

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  33 Rockne 10
                  51 Commander Starlight
                  53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks guys. If there are more Ideas, I would appreciate. The more information I have, the better judgement I can make.

Comment

Thanks guys. If there are more Ideas, I would appreciate. The more information I have, the better judgement I can make.

Comment

I had an engine rebuilt and shipped to me, but the carrier dropped it on its end! Here's why, and what you can do to ensure this doesn't happen to your engine:

The rebuilder strapped it to a pallet. That is NOT good enough, when you are entrusting this engine to a freight hauler. They don't care about your valuable engine. They will stack pallets on top of it and break the spark plugs (flathead six). They will allow it to shift in transit, so that it is off center on the pallet. Then, when some forklift operator comes in from the side to lift it up, it will be very off balance and topple to the floor from five feet in the air.

No, don't strap it to a pallet. Have the person on the shipping end put it on a good, strong pallet, preferably made of oak wood. Then, have them bolt it to the pallet, so it cannot shift. Then, they should build a crate around it with 3/4" plywood.

After that, call a third party insurer, such as this one recommended by Uship.com: http://www.grw-products.com/Cargo%20Insurance.htm

They will insure for full value, and their minimum cost is only $45.00. It is worth it, believe me!

Best of luck.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                        The Red-Headed Amazon
                        Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
                        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                        The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

I had an engine rebuilt and shipped to me, but the carrier dropped it on its end! Here's why, and what you can do to ensure this doesn't happen to your engine:

The rebuilder strapped it to a pallet. That is NOT good enough, when you are entrusting this engine to a freight hauler. They don't care about your valuable engine. They will stack pallets on top of it and break the spark plugs (flathead six). They will allow it to shift in transit, so that it is off center on the pallet. Then, when some forklift operator comes in from the side to lift it up, it will be very off balance and topple to the floor from five feet in the air.

No, don't strap it to a pallet. Have the person on the shipping end put it on a good, strong pallet, preferably made of oak wood. Then, have them bolt it to the pallet, so it cannot shift. Then, they should build a crate around it with 3/4" plywood.

After that, call a third party insurer, such as this one recommended by Uship.com: http://www.grw-products.com/Cargo%20Insurance.htm

They will insure for full value, and their minimum cost is only $45.00. It is worth it, believe me!

Best of luck.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                          The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                          The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Well said Dillocrafter! I recieved a palletized motor from So Cal and it was pretty beat up when it arrived. The carb and alt. were strapped on the top and were ruined. The individual had shipped them in that manner against my wishes. Then he refused to make good. I'll never buy from him again. Even the motor has failed to perform as promised.

Shippers make all kinds of promises to get your business. They rarely follow through on those promises. A good assessment of American Business in general any more, sadly.

Protect your investment. The shipper won't. It's worth paying the seller another hundred dollars to get your motor in unmolested condition.

Whacker has an even better idea!

quote:Plan B is to get someone going to Omaha to trailer it to Omaha, and someone returning from Omaha to take it the rest of the way. Probably cheaper, even if you offer to help with gas!
                            A win/win situation!

Lotsa Larks!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Well said Dillocrafter! I recieved a palletized motor from So Cal and it was pretty beat up when it arrived. The carb and alt. were strapped on the top and were ruined. The individual had shipped them in that manner against my wishes. Then he refused to make good. I'll never buy from him again. Even the motor has failed to perform as promised.

Shippers make all kinds of promises to get your business. They rarely follow through on those promises. A good assessment of American Business in general any more, sadly.

Protect your investment. The shipper won't. It's worth paying the seller another hundred dollars to get your motor in unmolested condition.

Whacker has an even better idea!

quote:Plan B is to get someone going to Omaha to trailer it to Omaha, and someone returning from Omaha to take it the rest of the way. Probably cheaper, even if you offer to help with gas!
                              A win/win situation!

Lotsa Larks!
                              Ron Smith
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X