1950 Commander, Broken Hood Release Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Commander, Broken Hood Release Cable

The hood release handle beneath the dashboard on our 1950 Commander can be pulled back with no tension, and does not disengage the hood lock. I've tried reaching up from behind the bullet nose, to no avail. Has anyone had this problem, and can you advise me as to how to disengage the hood lock mechanism manually? Thanks very much in advance.

Either with a long arm on a long tool, you will need to reach up under the mechanism and pull it to release the hood.

Good luck.

Comment

I've never done it before but I'd think if you removed the driver's side grille, you could stick an extension up and pull/push on the release. Or have somone push down on the hood while you unscrew the pointy bolt that goes thru the catch. As I recall, there's a slot in the end of it. Good luck!

John

Comment

Its not that hard, really. Lie down in front of the car and you will see a gap between the upper edge of the lower "checkerboard air scoop" and the sheet metal. You can fit your hand and a long thin screwdriver up through there and run the screwdriver into a small (3/16"?) hole just behind the main hood latch. Push the screwdriver up through the hole and-voila'- the latch pops and it opens. After you do it a couple times you will be able to do it by feel Hopefully, however, you can just unscrew the set screw from the retainer at the latch end of the cable and pull it out through the passenger compartment. Clean it up, coat it with cable lube (graphite) and slide it back in. Reattach the retainer, lube the latch (again with some graphite) and you're good to go.
        Last edited by Lothar; 07-13-2010, 08:30 PM. Reason: de-clarification
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

Working...
        X