Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of aftermarket wheels will work on Stude.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of aftermarket wheels will work on Stude.

I am thinging of changing out my stock Studebaker wheels which are 15 X 4.50 per the chassis parts catalog for a set of 15 X 7. I can't see a problem with the back, but am not sure of the front. It is a 63 GT Hawk with disk front brakes.

It is not so much about the width, although of course it's a factor but the offset is what is critical. There are dozens of posts here about wider, newer "rims", "wheels" etc. that can be found in the search window, both on General Topics and Technical Forums that will help with the back-set & offset.

Also don't ignore the right rear fender lip clearance because all rear axles are slightly offset to one side or the other, usually right side.
    You will not have a problem if you go conservative and use 5 1/2 in. or 6 in. Wheels, beyond that depending on TIRE height & width is very iffy.

Some people here have put HUGE tires on, but always with a compromise somewhere, but there IS more room to play on most models with the REAR wheels.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have 15x7 Cragar SS rims on my 62 Hawk with a Turner Brake disc conversion. They fit just fine and give it an old school look.
      sigpic 62 Hawk - Wisconsin barn find

Comment

I got the new wheels a couple of days ago, and mounted them on the car today. They really changed the look of the car. Wish I had done this long ago. There is not any problem on the front or back. I used 15 X 7 with 215/70 tires.

Comment

My 66 has 15x6 American Racing torque thrust D's. Fit great and also give the old school look. I bet they would be similiar on a Hawk.
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I put Halibrand Engineering "5-spokes" with Halicoat (Magnesium finish on spokes) on my Avanti. They are 15" X 6" with 4" backspacing. The tires are P215/70/R15's (Firestone FireHawk Indy 500's).

sigpic
            John
            63R-2386
            Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

I recently found a deal I couldn't pass up and replaced the original rims and hubcaps on my 1963 Avanti with a set of Cragar SS's 14x8 rear and 14x7 front. I have the Turner Brake Mod, which caused some anguish. i had to grind a bit of the calipers down, but it wasn't too much, as well as a half inch Cragar spacer for the front. The rims look amazing and I couldn't pass up the deal on the rims and tires, so it was worth a little extra work and the spacer.

Still need to get new springs to raise the front end to the proper, or at least a better, height, but despite going from the original look, I am totally pleased with the look and feel of how the rims turned out.

Comment

Working...
              X