Adding oil filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding oil filter

Hi ya'll, need a little help. My Hawk has the 289 V-8, and there is no oil filter..anybody have a good parts list or idea on how to install one? Gonna need the adaptor, gaskets and filter, Stude intl sells an oil filter base, wondering if that's all I need..
    Cash

You didn't say what year your car/engine are, but I assume it's an early 62 or before. The easiest way to add an oil filter would be to buy the accessory filter kit that Stude offered at the time. I don't have access to my parts books at the moment, so can't provide you with possible AC part numbers. They were a common item, and one of the Stude vendors may have one. Failing that, you will need the filter mount, hoses, and fittings. The early Hawks took a drop-in filter, while the later ones took the spin-on can type. The part numbers for the kits and individual components are different.

In mid-62, Stude changed to a more modern spin-on filter that mounts on the bottom of the block. The earlier accessory types mounted on the top of the engine and bolted to the oil filler pipe. The filter bases are not interchangeable.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Jon meyer has the bracketry and filters to put this together for a partial pass unit mounted next to the oil filler stack.-thanks, m weiss

Comment

Thanks guys, mine's a 61 Hawk.

Comment

Working...
        X