Fan blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan blade

When I bought the 64 Cruiser I also received boxes (many) of parts. In one box there was a 7 blade fan blade. Is this a Stude part or just something for a band X. I can supply a picture if needed

There were stock heavy duty multiblade fans. They tend to be noisy babies.

Comment

Not sure about '64s, but most Studebaker fan blades have 1.000 inch holes in the center. many other makes do not.

Comment

Yes seven blade stock Stude. fans do exist. But there are TWO types of hi-cooling fans, the early type used a lot on H.D. Sedans/Taxis, Trucks and as a hot climate option, have the 1 inch center hole and the close pattern bolt circle and bolt TO THE WATER PUMP.

The later type that would more likely be factory installed on a '64 (with A/C), Jet Thrust Equipped or for hot climates, would be completely different in the center, having a large hole in the center and a very WIDE bolt pattern, because it bolts to the Viscous Unit NOT the water pump. Any fan of course that will bolt up CAN be used, but most Heavy Duty non-viscous type ARE very noisy.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yep, this one does have the very large center hole and wide bolt pattern. My Cruiser does not have the viscous unit. Guess the original owner bought for some reason or other, Lord knows, there are a lot of parts in these boxes.

Comment

Then noise will not be an issue!

Comment

I have the large seven blade fan on the Lark. I could say it's noisy, but couple that to the R2 engine and a set of oversized pipes, and for me, I hardly notice it, lol. The fan sits inside of a fan shroud which is coupled to a slightly larger recored radiator, and together those items cool the car rather well. The fan fills the shroud out, but you have to have the shroud and radiator aligned, because that fan will come rather close at the top and bottom of the shroud, like within a 1/4 of an inch. If everything else is in order(no worn pump, bad motor mounts, bad viscous drive), that fan will not move, as mine has not done since putting it in years ago. I should also add that at idle it will move alot of air, but they can become a problem over 70 mph, as there is alot more metal creating a bit of a spinning block at higher rpms.
              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
              X