PDA

View Full Version : Dave Arnold's Mom (barnlark)

Bill Pressler
07-12-2010, 05:03 AM
It is with regret that I post that Dave Arnold's Mom passed away last night, July 11. She had been ill for some time. Visitation is Wednesday night, July 14 at the Green Funeral Home, St. Rt. 44 @ Pioneer Trail, P.O. Box 676, Mantua, OH 44255.

Regular posters and lurkers alike know Dave as the witty owner of that beautiful Colonial Red '60 Lark VIII Regal convertible. He's a friend and also an excellent photographer. And anyone who's ever seen his convertible in person knows what a 'detail' guy Dave is.

I know that folks here would want to know.

Thanks.

Bob Andrews
07-12-2010, 05:30 AM
Very sorry to hear. Doesn't matter the age of the parent (or ourselves) or the length of illness, it's always hard to see a loved one pass on to Glory. My condolences and best wishes to you, buddy.

Thanks for posting, Bill.

2R5
07-12-2010, 06:00 AM
Our thoughts are with you Dave ...very sorry

Warren Webb
07-12-2010, 06:06 AM
I know too well the pain Dave & his family are experiencing. My mom had a stroke at 59. She survived for another 10 & 1/2 years in the hospital never to return home all that time. My sister had two more daughters during that time that never got to hear her voice, feel the warmth of her hugs or the joy of her cooking. All they knew is what others said, tapes of their older sister & her talking to each other, all not enough to fill any void. During her hospitaliztion she couldnt talk, couldnt move other than her head side to side & lifting it up slightly off the pillow. But when you visited her, her eyes talked. You could see how happy she was to see you. We would all talk as if we were around the kitchen table. Her breathing relaxed, telling me she was comforted by our visit.

Such things are painful for all of us. Nobody should have to go thru these things. Medical advances are being made and one day these things will be just a memory, if not by man, by our creator. We are with you Dave, if not personally, we have you in our heart.

BobPalma
07-12-2010, 07:32 AM
So sorry to hear of this, Dave. Know that you and the family are in our thoughts and prayers. Bob & Cari Palma.

BobGlasscock
07-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Dave, I pass my condolences along, as well. May God bless your family with wonderful memories of your mother.

jclary
07-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Dave,
It is my conclusion from reading your posts and participating with you on this forum that…”You were raised well!” …that is a fact that should make your Mother proud and it is my wish that it will be a comfort to you during this time. You and your family are in our prayers.

Dick Clemens
07-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Dave: Very sorry to hear of your loss. Just know our prayers are with you and your family.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

41 Frank
07-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Our condolences to you and your family as well Dave.

Frank and Elizabeth van Doorn

Chicken Hawk
07-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Very sorry to hear this Dave. You and the rest of your family are in our prayers.

Ted & Mary Ann

Skinnys Garage
07-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Our thoughts are with you also Dave.

Scott & Kristi

candbstudebakers
07-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Dave , sorry to hear about your mother passing, our best wished are with you and your family, I know you will come through this but it will take time, plan on seeing you at future outings, your friend out west , Bob

gordr
07-12-2010, 09:49 AM
My condolences, Dave. It is a tough thing to deal with, but it's a burden we all share.

Jeff_H
07-12-2010, 12:31 PM
So sorry to read of this Dave. Take care.

55champion
07-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Sorry for your loss, you and your family are in our prayers.

JWW
07-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Dave,

My sympathy to you and your family. Please take comfort in the memories and know that your mother is now at peace. I lost my mom in '92 so I know what you are experiencing.

Take care,
John

wolfie
07-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Our condolences also. Steve and Tracy

bridgegaurd
07-12-2010, 01:52 PM
My condolences, Dave and to your family

ROADRACELARK
07-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Our condolences to you and your family as well, Dave.

Barbara and Dan Miller
Auburn, GA

HookedonStudies
07-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Dave,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I lost my mom on the 1st of July, so the loss is still quite fresh. Although we will miss them very much, know that they are now enjoying their eternal reward.

silverhawk
07-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Sorry to hear this Mr.Arnold. I'll keep you guys in my prayers.

bob40
07-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Dave Bates
07-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Our condolences as well Dave and family. Dave & Myra

starliner62
07-12-2010, 04:24 PM
My condolences Dave. Losing a family member is tough. My brother in law died yesterday after fighting multiple health problems. Even though we knew it would happen, it still hurts.

Kurt
07-12-2010, 06:58 PM
our thoughts and prayers are with you.

8E45E
07-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Craig

60Lark
07-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Dave - Hate to sound like a broken record, but I too am praying that you and your family will find comfort in your loss

Anne F. Goodman
07-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Sorry to hear about your Mom Dave. day by day step by step we go on. Each day it gets a little easier. Then its hard again. I lost both Parents in 1980 & 81 I was around 24 that was 30 years ago shoot thats scary. Please know our thoughts are with you.
Sincerely
The Goodman's

rockne10
07-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Dave,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

MARCHOBBS
07-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Dave, our thoughts & prayers are also with you & your family, Sonja & I both have lost our parents , hers suddenly, and mine over an extended period of time, like your mom; either way it is a difficult time for all. I'm sure you have many wonderful memories of her, and you will hear new stories of how she touched other peoples lives over the next few days, keep all those memories close to your heart.

Marc & Sonja Hobbs

Lenny R2
07-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Sorry to hear about your Moms passing Dave.

barnlark
07-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Many thanks to those of you who have taken time to express such wonderful thoughts. My mother had suffered so much in the last few months that her passing was more of a blessing for her lack of a true quality of life, but you have all given me a reason to finally choke up a bit. Many of you above have met me and we have spent some time getting to know each other over the years, but those who haven't even met me in person, I thank you for caring enough to write such kind words. This forum has brought some very special people into my life the last few years. Again, from my heart, thank you.

Without drolling on, I lost my father to a slow death last year in Pasadena, California and now this year, my sweet mother here in Ohio. She truly was the energizer bunny her entire life, always caring for others before herself each and every day. She was an especially soft touch to any stray animal who ever came into her yard, as well. They always knew where to try out their best pitiful look for a meal and a new home.

When people tell you your entire life that your mother is a beautiful angel, you quickly learn that you were in the presence of someone very special. All of us think that of our mothers, but my mother, Lorrie, was much, much more than that, believe me. She always backed me in every stupid move I've ever made my entire life. My sister will be glad to roll her eyes at that fact. Just ask her! But, that constant reassurance always helped me through life's many cruel lessons. It also made me a better parent.

My parents met on a showboat, The Majestic, a music and theater showboat owned by Hiram College that sailed the Ohio River from Cincinnati northeast to Pittsburgh and as far west as the Mississippi during the summer months. My mother was the choreographer, dancer and actress on the boat and my father a musician, actor and musical director. They were married on the Ohio River the year the Speedster was being made. The Majestic is still docked in Cincinnati today.

Anyway, we were just going through the enormous collection of photographs and mementos that she, and her mother before her, had hoarded away like gold. Below is a picture of her cheerleader and majorette days. Not posing with Studebakers, but that may be a coupe or a sedan behind those two! I love this picture because of the cars and that's how I prefer to remember her, but also because while I was a child she often mentioned how much she loved her days in high school as a versatile athlete leading up to her showboat days. She so missed her days as a star having to raise us while my dad finished his master's degree. But, never as a verbal complaint, just the way she sang and danced to every Broadway musical record we had in the house. Quite entertaining, those days. I always knew that she really missed her lost teen years, but she never complained while raising us; just lived them again through my sister and me. Living with those memories now will always bring a smile. Thank you again, my dear Studebaker friends.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN0988.jpg

Bill Pressler
07-13-2010, 04:30 AM
Great photo and remembrances, Dave.

I'd like to post that visitation hours have changed to Thursday evening, 6-8 p.m., at the Green Funeral Home in Mantua, OH.

FYI.

studegary
07-13-2010, 01:28 PM
I would like to add my condolences to Dave on the loss of his mother.
People may have multiple friends, children, siblings, even spouses, but only one mother.
My mother was in the hospital during one SDC International Convention and she died shortly after my return. I knew that I couldn't do anything for her that the hospital couldn't do and I think that she held on until I returned to her.

BobPalma
07-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Many thanks to those of you who have taken time to express such wonderful thoughts. My mother had suffered so much in the last few months that her passing was more of a blessing for her lack of a true quality of life, but you have all given me a reason to finally choke up a bit. Many of you above have met me and we have spent some time getting to know each other over the years, but those who haven't even met me in person, I thank you for caring enough to write such kind words. This forum has brought some very special people into my life the last few years. Again, from my heart, thank you.

Without drolling on, I lost my father to a slow death last year in Pasadena, California and now this year, my sweet mother here in Ohio. She truly was the energizer bunny her entire life, always caring for others before herself each and every day. She was an especially soft touch to any stray animal who ever came into her yard, as well. They always knew where to try out their best pitiful look for a meal and a new home.

When people tell you your entire life that your mother is a beautiful angel, you quickly learn that you were in the presence of someone very special. All of us think that of our mothers, but my mother, Lorrie, was much, much more than that, believe me. She always backed me in every stupid move I've ever made my entire life. My sister will be glad to roll her eyes at that fact. Just ask her! But, that constant reassurance always helped me through life's many cruel lessons. It also made me a better parent.

My parents met on a showboat, The Majestic, a music and theater showboat owned by Hiram College that sailed the Ohio River from Cincinnati northeast to Pittsburgh and as far west as the Mississippi during the summer months. My mother was the choreographer, dancer and actress on the boat and my father a musician, actor and musical director. They were married on the Ohio River the year the Speedster was being made. The Majestic is still docked in Cincinnati today.

Anyway, we were just going through the enormous collection of photographs and mementos that she, and her mother before her, had hoarded away like gold. Below is a picture of her cheerleader and majorette days. Not posing with Studebakers, but that may be a coupe or a sedan behind those two! I love this picture because of the cars and that's how I prefer to remember her, but also because while I was a child she often mentioned how much she loved her days in high school as a versatile athlete leading up to her showboat days. She so missed her days as a star having to raise us while my dad finished his master's degree. But, never as a verbal complaint, just the way she sang and danced to every Broadway musical record we had in the house. Quite entertaining, those days. I always knew that she really missed her lost teen years, but she never complained while raising us; just lived them again through my sister and me. Living with those memories now will always bring a smile. Thank you again, my dear Studebaker friends.

Great recollections, Dave; so poignant! Thanks so much for sharing them. I, for one, always enjoy hearing about how a couple met, so 'much appreciate your including that. One can well imagine the sparkle in the dancer's and the musician's eyes when they first made contact! 'Way cool!

Remember the good times, as well you are...and thanks again for sharing just a few of the many with us.

All the best as you and your sister go through the next couple days with the funeral and final arrangements.

God Bless. BP

Bob Bryant
07-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Dave: I was sorry to hear of your loss. It just happens that back in the early 60's I worked with a recent graduate of Hiram College who had toured with the Majestic during the summers. I would guess he graduated around 1960. He was a talented pianist and played weekend gigs in addition to his full-time job. I'll send him your commentary regarding your mother.

Lark8girl
07-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Thank you for sharing about your mother, SuEllyn and Sheldon send you our sympathy .