South Bend visit/ HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend visit/ HELP

I just found out I will be in South Bend tommorrow and need to get some idea on where to look for the old plant and any other things to see relating to Studebaker. I leave 5 am Monday so any quick responses would be great. Thanks

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

It's in the Studebaker Corridor, which used to be MOST of Downtown South Bend. I don't know North from South when I am there, I just drive to it somehow automatically, on or near Sample St. would be a start, but maybe if you are lucky a South Bender who actually KNOWS will post before you go to bed.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Find and first visit The Studebaker National Museum; 201 South Chapin Street.

From there (and in there), you'll see maps and overviews of the old Studebaker "campus."

If you are standing on the sidewalk in front of the museum, go South on Chapin Street several blocks, under an old railroad underpass. When you come out from under the RR tracks, look straight ahead, a little to your right, and you'll see the huge Studebaker Foundry looming about two blocks ahead. Proceed to the Foundry, sneak in if you dare, and then look to the South of the Foundry for what little is left of the campus.

Go south from the foundry on Sample Street to Main Street. (The Foundry isn't on Sample, it's on Prairie, but it's close enough to the intersection of Prairie and Sample that you'll see Sample.) Turn North on Main Street and go a couple blocks to 635 South Main; the old Studebaker Administration Building. It is just before you go back under the railroad tracks you went under when you left the museum up on Chapin Street, only you are now several blocks south of Chapin.

All this is a little too long to walk, so you need a car and a city map or GPS unit to find 635 South Main Street and 201 S. Chapin and the Foundry, which is approximately at the corner of Prairie Avenue and Sample Street.

As you are going down Sample from the Foundry, you can note the Engineering Building that used to be SASCO, if it isn't torn down already!

If you have enough time, it will take you 12-15 minutes to go to the south edge of South Bend to find Studebaker International in the old Chippewa Plant (Chippewa Avenue), but you'd enjoy seeing what Ed Reynolds and team have accomplished there!

Enjoy! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks BOB, I just printed your post. I will try to see all/ Does SI have a store front there yet or is it just by phone??

Comment

They have a store front. stupak

Comment

Originally posted by KGlowacky View Post
            Thanks BOB, I just printed your post. I will try to see all/ Does SI have a store front there yet or is it just by phone??
            Yes, they have a walk-in "store front" in terms of a retail-customer area BUT it is within an Industrial Park with several other businesses, so there is little signage or identification in what is essentially an industrial area.

Once you go in the Old Chippewa Plant (North side of Chippewa, west of U.S. 31 South / Main Street), bear right and go through the threatening AM General Security Gates and Guards. They they won't stop you, as the "security" at that point is pretty much abandoned.

Once you've gone past that guard area, there may be signage to direct you to Studebaker International. If not, drive forward until you would run into the fence on the eastern edge of the property and then turn left (north). Go about a half-block, keeping an eye on the long building that is now to your left (scrub trees and shrubs and overgrown fence will be on your right).

You'll see some modest signage above the service doors and shipping dock that constitute Studebaker International. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

This is the road leading into the Chippewa plant (Studebaker International). Drive up towards the main building and take a right and drive past the water tower.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1298.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1662631

Name:	DSCF1295.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1662632
              Here I am in front of the South Bend headquarters of Stude Intl. I think Ed should fasten the front-end of a bullet nose Studebaker above the entrance door.

Name:	DSCF1296.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1662630

How about a ride in Chris Dresbach's Champion as he arrives at Stude Intl.
              Last edited by Milaca; 07-11-2010, 06:26 PM.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Haha! I remember that video. That was a fun day.

While in South Bend, IF YOU GET LOST you can give me a call. Ill send you my number.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

If time permits, the magnificent home of one of the original brothers, Clem Studebaker, is also worth a visit. It is called Tippecanoe Place & now operating as a restaurant since 1980.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                  MELBOURNE.

Comment

I just got back my trip to South Bend via Chicago. Due to some really poor last minute challenges I arrived in South Bend 4pm on Monday. So I did the drive by trip. Really a disappointment BUT with everyone's help on the thread it went far better then I would have done without you all. Went by all the landmarks and old buildings and went to SI (closed) and really enjoyed the trip. Seen the old Sasco building but do have a question. There was a building I was wondering about. If leaving the museum, when you get to Sample, Sasco would be on the far far left and the old foundering is on the right. what building was straight ahead on the left?? Want to say thanks to everyone for their input it did make my trip worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by KGlowacky View Post
                      >>>There was a building I was wondering about. If leaving the museum, when you get to Sample, Sasco would be on the far far left and the old foundering is on the right. what building was straight ahead on the left??<<<
                      Sorry I completely missed your OP and whirlwind SB visit.

From your driving description above;

Yes, that would have been SASCO (Studebaker Engineering Building) on your far, far left, the old Wilson Shirt Factory would have been on your right, and that building straight ahead on the left ...would have been the Studebaker Foundry.

Comment

Working...
                      X