Does your Avanti grunt at you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your Avanti grunt at you?

I promise this post is truthful and not a gag. I've often said in jest that I believed my Studebakers were haunted. Well my '63 Avanti now seems to be trying to communicate with us - literally. My mechanic brother has been doing unlimited work on the car for some time now. He works on her while she's safely parked under his carport, beside his '70 Trans Am. He asked me recently if I was aware that the car occasionally made "grunting" noises. I laughed at first, but he was serious. He said while working long hours on it, sometimes he'd hear a grunting noise, like somebody going "unhh." The mysterious noise seems to originate from under the hood, or specifically around the motor. I said it must be something electrical. He said it made the noise whether or not the battery was connected. I said maybe it was from cooling down or heating up. He said it does it after the motor's been run and the car driven or when it has sat for days uncranked and is cold. My brother had his 15 year old daughter come out and listen for awhile. Sure enough she heard the noise too and called it "creepy." I've only heard it one time myself. My brother said yesterday while he was struggling to get the power windows going that it grunted at him 7-8 times through the course of the the day. He finally said (yes, he said this to the car); "look I'm only trying to help you." Well today, she only grunted twice. Furthermore, she seems to have spontaneously recovered from a charging system problem. My brother was also able to get BOTH power windows operating today. Maybe her mechanical spirit just wanted to be acknowledged. Maybe she's wondering why after 47 1/2 years she's still expected to transport people around?? Anyway, if you've got a non-paranormal explanation for the noise. we'd love to hear it.
    Attached Files
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

I always thought cars had a mind all their own sometimes...
    Hey, sometimes I talk to my car!
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
      I always thought cars had a mind all their own sometimes...
      Hey, sometimes I talk to my car!
      I named my 58 Commander HT Christine because as was waking to my tool box to get a test lamp to find out why the parking lamps did not work, and on the way back they came on.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Leave the radiator cap loose when it is parked. Might be worth a try.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I believe that my Avanti has gremlins in it. Mine doesn't grunt at me but the power windows will work fine for days at a time then they won't come up properly for a while, the charging system will act up occasionally, sometimes the aftermarket am-fm radio works and then it doesn't, maybe my car needs an exorcism. Bud

Comment

Demon Avanti spirits....Come OUT!!!

My swag would be with Milaca...
            Sometimes bubbles in the coolant will migrate due to the normal expansion and cooling the daily heat cycle will provide.
            (hence the comment it happens even when setting for a while)

But... An exorcism couldn't hurt.
            Jeff
            Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 07-11-2010, 06:12 AM.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

No, but mine groans...

Comment

Mine squeeks, rattles and whistles.
                Neil Thornton

Comment

My 54 is still draining sand from all creases from when it was blasted 20 years ago.
                  Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                  Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                  Lizella, GA

Comment

We'll definitely give it a try. Thanks. btw, so far the only thing she's treated maliciously is my wallet.

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                    Leave the radiator cap loose when it is parked. Might be worth a try.
                    edp/NC
                    \'63 Avanti
                    \'66 Commander

Comment

I KNOW my '53 has it's own personality and I believe that most mechanical marvels do. I try to always complement them and do not cuss at them... They WILL remember and attack at the worst possible moment. I could go on with many "haunting' stories of things that my '53 Commander has done in the 46 years I have held the title... you note I did not say that I "owned" her.
                      The movie "Christine" as mentioned above will be proven to be a true story at some point in time... not a novel!

Comment

Front-end suspension parts settling to a relaxed state. Rubber or polyurethane?
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I like the paranormal explanation. Why not contact the TV show called "Ghost Hunters" on the SciFi channel and have them come and do an EVP recording. EVP stands for (electronic voice phenomena). The could also try asking it a series of questions and see if they capture intellingent replys on the EVP recording.
                          sigpic
                          John
                          63R-2386
                          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

The car seems to grunt mostly at my brother. I've only heard it once, and so has his daughter. He tried to get it to grunt for my wife and sister-in-law on Friday, but it declined even though they stood around it for 1/2 hour. He took the radiator cap off for awhile, but nothing changed. The sounds do not emanate from from the front end, but rather near the rear of the engine/front dash area. The history of the car, that I was informed of by a local from Mclean, Va, is that it was purchased new and driven by a lady until she went into a rest home in 2000. So who knows about the paranormal aspects? I personally don't care if it grunts as long as it looks nice and drives good. See my post "Avanti rises from ashes like Phoenix" for the latest pix.
                            edp/NC
                            \'63 Avanti
                            \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                            X