65 daytona engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 daytona engine swap

I am planning to build a 65 daytona sport coupe currently an 8 with od.
    driveability and economy are more important than performance I have a new (12 miles)170 six And a low miles 194 six (40000).Will theese engines work with the v8 tranny also have an automatjc parts car is.either rear end suitable? Which engjne do I use?

IMO the 194 Chevy engine is infinitely better. The 170 had a problem with head cracks.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Agree that the chevy 6 is the pick for this particular swap, but I think the head cracking fear on the stude 6 is not the big concern that some feel it is. Any ohv 6 that has survived this many years has a well seasoned casting & isn't very likely to ever give a problem. I'm not even sure if you would abuse one these days, that it would cause a problem.
      Mike Sal

Comment

Bob, I think it was the early OHV six that had this problem.and was then not really a problem towards the end.
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The 194 may be the better more powerful engine, but they are NOT known for gas mileage, just ask Doug (a Forum member & friend) in Westchester, CA, he has a daily driver 250 c.i. '63 Lark that I believe before that, was a 230 McKinnon but 194,230 250 same same, none known for MPG.

The 170 will definitely be the cheapest easiest swap because you may have a problem finding the special bell housing and especially the very special TORQUE CONVERTER that connects a Ford type (Borg Warner) tranny to a Chevrolet type 6 Cyl. Engine ! Otherwise I believe it could work.

But come on...a brand NEW 170! That could be a good thing if it now has hard valve seats and Truck Stainless, Stellite tipped H.D. Valves on it's re-build. The Daytona 8 Sport Sedan should have a 3.07 rear axle and if a late car, also a flanged axle and should get outstanding mileage with that setup, if you live where there is FLAT ground.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 07-10-2010, 10:56 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

170 is new not rebuilt Planning to use od so no toroue converter.Was asking which engine rear end combo you would suggest?

Comment

If it were my car-- I think I'd keep the V8 and OD.

My '65 Cruisr, even with an automatic,
              has been known to get 20+ MPG on the highway,
              and 12-15 in town!!!
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Sorry, you mentioned too many Eng. Trans. possibilities, I was all confused. I thought you wanted to put your Automatic in it. You will be the one with the decision to make on which combo you like, because if you ask ten people you'll undoubtedly get about 6 answers, there is no best answer.

If this car was originally a V-8 Overdrive it should be a Dana 44 3.73 ratio, maybe a TT, and maybe a flanged axle, which would work well with the 6 Overdrive, either one of them. However, the '65-'66 Studebaker Parts Catalog does show that the 194 6 Cyl. used the same clutch housing, and only W/Overdrive a T-86 Trans. as the V-8, so a 194 should bolt right up. The 170 will not.

The most versatile all around best driving and economical combo actually would be the way it came! You will find that the sixes normally require more go pedal to do less work than a V-8 which relates to more fuel.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I would say to leave the V8 in the car. I had a 65 Commander with a 194, auto transmission and 3.73 differential. The best it ever did on the highway was 17 mpg. all of the V8 powered Studebakers that I've had would get mileage in the low to mid 20's on the road and that includes my present 62 Hawk 4 speed, R1 engine with an R3 cam and 3.31 differential. ZIf you plan on using the car just for driving around town, the small six will be acceptable, but forget it on the highway as they just don't make enough power. Bud

Comment

Cheaper to just get a rebuilt 350 crate motor, plug it in, and go!
                    Everything bolts right up.
                    (ok, ok...dial in the bellhousing)

Sell all your six stuff and you are about at break even.
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

You are right Jeff, that would be a quick, cheap and easy option for Scouter to use, BUT!

Did you forget about the medium duty T-86 Overdrive Trans. in this car?

They are acceptable with a 259 or a 283, barely good enough for 5 years or less of EASY driving with a 289, but would be unacceptable with a 350, way too much TORQUE! You would need to use a feather on the go pedal!

I don't know, but don't most of them have way more than a Stude. 289 with 305 Ft. Lbs.?
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Fair enough...So get a crate motor rebuilt 305 and head down the highway..
                        It would still be way easier than re-engineering the world to spin the other way.
                        Did anyone read the July, 2010 issue of Street Rodder Magazine?
                        Stupendous article about the Borg Warner overdrive on page 128.
                        A definite must read, and it has good mention of the different options, and why they make a difference.
                        (Even a mention of the Golden Hawk in the same sentence as an FE Ford)
                        A T-85 R-11 overdrive would stand up just fine behind a lowly belly button engine...
                        Good discussion in any event...
                        (I am no expert on these, but would love to learn more from those that have thrashed the combo)
                        Can a B/W R-11 planetary end housing be put on a T-86?..
                        Jeff

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        You are right Jeff, that would be a quick, cheap and easy option for Scouter to use, BUT!
                        Did you forget about the medium duty T-86 Overdrive Trans. in this car?

They are acceptable with a 259 or a 283, barely good enough for 5 years or less of EASY driving with a 289, but would be unacceptable with a 350, way too much TORQUE! You would need to use a feather on the go pedal!

I don't know, but don't most of them have way more than a Stude. 289 with 305 Ft. Lbs.?
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

is the current engine a chevy 283??? if so i would keep the 283 if it's in good shape.i may not like chevy's but have lots of experence with them.i modified my friends 305 77 camero for him and when i was done he was getting an average of 27 mpg,and this car was fully equiped.first i installed timing chain set with 2 degress advance,an offy dual-port intake with a q-jet carb,mulit spark discharge unit,taxi transgo shift kit,1 1/2 inch headers with 77 t/a duel exhaust system with crossover pipe.keep the headers small nig tube headers will kill your lowend.then a tune up but not one at the chain stores,find a dist.shop if they still around have dist set up for economy and then tuned. stock spec's are only a starting point,the car is no longer stock.you'll need a exhaust analizer,a timing light with an adjustable rpm ,a vaccuum gage,and a good ear. good luck.

Comment

You already have the best set up to get fuel economy. You just need to tune it up and drive with economy in mind. Downgrading to a smaller engine will just be frustrating. As you can see I have mutiples and you simply need so manyt horses to drive down the road and when you get below that fuel mileage suffers also plus you cant haul a full load in the car.
                            If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                            64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                            61 V8 Tcab
                            63 Tcab 20R powered
                            55 Commander Wagon
                            54 Champion Wagon
                            46 Gibson Model A
                            50 JD MC
                            45 Agricat
                            67 Triumph T100
                            66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Sorry guys, the 283 is toast. Didn't Studebaker build thousands of these cars with 6's? My 185 '58 Hawk with OD is fine (but no hot rod). We have two ways to go - build a 1964 Daytona 170 6 clone or a 194 1965 Daytona Sport coupe?
                              Last edited by scoutergord; 07-17-2010, 04:50 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Working...
                              X