Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hold on to Your Wallets, Stude Fans!

It's our turn!

'Just picked up the May 2007 Muscle Car Review magazine at the grocery store. This magazine has been on-again, off-again for several years. Dobbs Publishing sold it to Petersen in the late 1990s and it sort of faded away. Then Primedia bought Petersen and the magazine gradually reappeared, with one issue being published in 2002 under the Car Craft banner. Two issues were published in 2003 and in 2004, it became a quarterly.

Editor Drew Hardin announces in this May 2007 issue that it has now returned to monthly status, and that nine issues will be published in 2007. [:0] Supposedly, in 2008, it will be monthly full-time.

Editor Hardin also announced that "We're happy to have Tom Shaw writing for the magazine again." SO ARE WE in Studebaker-land! [8D] Tom has long been a friend of the Studebaker marque as regards muscle cars, following his jaw-dropping introduction to Studebaker high-performance when he watched The Plain Brown Wrapper win EVERY practice and qualifying drag race in which it ran during its Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race debut at the 1998 event; all ten of them! [^] Tom was hooked! (More recently, note Tom's appearance on Page 8 of the February 2007 Turning Wheels.)

To the matter at hand: the May 2007 Muscle Car Review. For this edition, Tom Shaw was commissioned to report on all the mega-buck collector car auctions this past winter in the land of milk and honey known as The Arizona Environs. Tom dutifully reported on Barrett-Jackson, Russo & Steele, Kruse International, and RM Auction events.

Tom then boxed up a summary of all the auctions as to "What's Hot and What's Not"
    His conclusions were as follows. I cite them here in their entirety:

NOW HOT: 1965 Buick Riviera GS, all Studebaker Golden Hawks, all Packard Hawks, AMC Musclecars, and E-code (2X4bbl) 1957 Thunderbirds.

STILL HOT: Musclecars in the $40,000-$60,000 price range.

COOLING OFF: Musclecars over $150,000; Shelbys leading the way.

GREAT BUY: The above Now-Hot cars.

Omigosh! [:0] Hang on; the cat's outta the bag! BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Sounds good, maybe if we can get into a few of these publications, it
    could help bring Studebakers into the spotlight. I have been trying to
    get my Avanti into Car Craft and Popular Hot Rodding, lately they both
    have been featuring AMC cars. Unfortunately no reply yet.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Sounds good, maybe if we can get into a few of these publications, it
      could help bring Studebakers into the spotlight. I have been trying to
      get my Avanti into Car Craft and Popular Hot Rodding, lately they both
      have been featuring AMC cars. Unfortunately no reply yet.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
      X