PDA

View Full Version : How many bolts in a Studebaker Avanti power window motor and gear box?

edpjr
07-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Got two bolts out. Still can't remove the darn thing. One motor clicks and the other just gets warm when power is applied. Passenger's side motor was supposed to have been replaced last year and looks pretty new. Johnstone website shows where some guy cut his door open to get to it. There must be a better way.... Thanks for any suggestions.

63r2
07-08-2010, 08:24 PM
From memory 2 if you want to take the motor off the gearbox and 3 maybe 4 for the gearbox off the mechanism. One of them is in a tough spot.
pb

sweetolbob
07-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Ed

I'll assume that your 63 is like my 83. If so, I think there were 6 bolts holding the entire mechanism. A pair and then 4 more where the hand crank would go. Once those are out you need to disconnect the 2 hairpins that hold the lift to the rollers in the bottom track.

Tape the window in the up position and you'll be able to work the mechanism out of the opening. Try to keep the spring in position or note it position. It ain't fun but I did it about a month ago.

Bob

WCP
07-09-2010, 12:42 PM
What Bob says, but I don't remove the 2 capscrews holding the rear idler track, but simply pull the retaining clip. It also helps to mark and then remove the front lower window stop for more working room. Holding the window in the up position can also be accomplished with a padded clamp on the glass at the sill rear location.

JDP
07-09-2010, 05:20 PM
The motor comes off with just the two screws on the end, than remove from the plastic coupling.

edpjr
07-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks for all the advice gentlemen. We have had some minor success. The motors were only getting about 8 volts. After we replaced the 16 ga wire to the passenger's side motor with 10 ga, it's getting about 10-12 volts, but will work from the master switch only. The driver's side is still completely dead, other than just getting warm when switch is depressed. We're still working on it. I think the passenger's side switch has always been bad. We replaced it with a used one I got from JDP off eBay. But so far, it will still only work one way except from the master switch. Any additional insights are greatly appreciated.

WCP
07-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Confirm that you have a good ground on the left motor. Other than that, broken wires from door opening flexing is common on '63 Avantis. I usually troubleshoot the window operation with the door panel and switch off, by using a spare garden tractor battery directly contacting the appropriate switch wires - negative to ground (motor case), and positive to the correct pair for up or down. As I recall, red & green for one direction and yellow & green for the other, but I'll confirm this tomorrow when I'm out in the shop. To save looking this up in my notes each time, I have that info written on the door. By using an alternate power source this way during window adjustment and overall operation checkout, the switches are spared the abuse.

WCP
07-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Positive to red & green for clockwise rotation (viewed from the top), positive to yellow & green for counterclockwise rotation. Unfortunately, I can't remember which is up and which is down (it's written on the door) but that will be self evident when you apply power to the motor. I move the window by hand to the mid position by reaching in and rotating the rubber coupler between the motor and worm gear assembly. The fact that your motor is getting warm, suggests that power is getting to the field or armature but not both.

edpjr
07-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks very much for the detailed info. We'll get back on it today.

Positive to red & green for clockwise rotation (viewed from the top), positive to yellow & green for counterclockwise rotation. Unfortunately, I can't remember which is up and which is down (it's written on the door) but that will be self evident when you apply power to the motor. I move the window by hand to the mid position by reaching in and rotating the rubber coupler between the motor and worm gear assembly. The fact that your motor is getting warm, suggests that power is getting to the field or armature but not both.

edpjr
07-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Yeehah! Both power windows are working again. The driver's side motor had light corrosion that had completely locked it up. However, once freed up, lubricated, and now that it's getting the proper voltage, it works again. The only remaining issue is that, so far, the passenger's side switch will only roll the window down. Fortunately, master switch operates it both ways. Thanks again for all the help guys!!

JDP
07-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Yeehah! Both power windows are working again. The driver's side motor had light corrosion that had completely locked it up. However, once freed up, lubricated, and now that it's getting the proper voltage, it works again. The only remaining issue is that, so far, the passenger's side switch will only roll the window down. Fortunately, master switch operates it both ways. Thanks again for all the help guys!!

Take the switch apart and lightly sand the contacts and it will likely work.

edpjr
07-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Thanks. We'll try it.

Take the switch apart and lightly sand the contacts and it will likely work.