52 into a 51 bullet nose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 into a 51 bullet nose

Hi I am new to studebakers, i fell for them after i saw my uncles 59 and 61 hawks. i cant afford one but i found a nice 52 champion for a good price but love the 50 and 51 bullet nose.

I found a 51 for parts

question how hard would it be to put a 50 or 51 bullet nose on a 52

thanks. p.s i live in michigan and do not see many studs around.. also any good places for body parts?

dave

Without any direct experience, I would assume that the front clips would be interchangeable. If you find a 50, make sure it's a Champion, the Commander is different. In 51 they are the same.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

I was thinking of doing the same thing to my 52 Commander, but I decided to keep it as a 52. I think the 51 front clip will bolt on, but I don't think that either the 50 Champion or 50 Commander front clips will work. They both had different wheelbases than the 51-52.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

There have been a few 52 K body (hardtop) cars converted to bulletnoses with the 51 front end. Very nice looking. If you like the look of the 50, you can use a 51 front clip and a 50 bullet.

Comment

Leonard is correct; only the '51 clip will work and it requires everything from the cowl forward.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Where in Mi?

Comment

I tested that once years ago. If memory serves me; the fifty inner-panels bolt together a little different, and a fifty-one will fall right on -- as long as we're talkin' Champion. RR

Faster than a rusting bullet... Gopher Grove, CA

Comment

50 inner fenders will not work on 51 52 cars been there done that.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ST2DE5

50 inner fenders will not work on 51 52 cars been there done that.
                  Is that because of the move away from rotary to tubular shocks and the accompanying suspension structure in the bigger ones, or is it just the wheelbase differences?

off topic but related additional question:
                  BTW, Classic Enterprises told me that the rockers are the same for a Commander and a Land Cruiser in 1950, and that the extra 4" of wheelbase on the Land Cruiser is all in the front end. I thought the rear doors with the extra wing vent were the spot where the extra wheelbase was added. Does anybody here have a definitive answer before I order rocker panels?

Paul

1950 Land Cruiser project

I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
                  1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 3rdGenStude
                    I thought the rear doors with the extra wing vent were the spot where the extra wheelbase was added.

Yes, the extra length is in the rear doors, not the front end. The 50 Land Cruisers were the longest postwar cars Stude made (124 in wheel base) and the front ends are longer, but that has no effect on the rocker panels.

Terry

Comment

i live in macomb, near mtclemens or 45 minutes northeast of detroit

Comment

Working...
                      X