• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 2 with Grace -- On the Road

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

First off, disconnect the battery tonight to avoid drain. I can't remember if it was a delco reg? They usually are easy adjustable.
    Anyway, remove the cover and you will see the big set of points on the end, with a bendable tang above the contacts. You will see
    the air gap in the points. Bend the tang, ever so slightly, to close the points a few thousands. start and see if it starts charging, (points will close) if
    so, then turn off and be sure the points open again. Ideally after batt charges, the points will open at idle. This is all an (on the road fix).

Comment

Hi Tex (Flashback),

The battery is disconnected...because it is sitting on the floor of our hotel room hooked up to a battery charger (yeah, I packed one of them, too). The regulator is a Delco-Remy 3 coil unit. Regarding the old regulator, it was the points on the cutout relay (the one that connects to the BAT terminal) that had a lot of material transfer (like you get on ignition points). That's the one with the contacts that are normally open. The current regulator (connected to the GEN terminal) is normally closed as is the voltage regulator (connected to FIELD). The points on those 2 looked fine. Since we were hot and tired, when we arrived at the hotel, we unpacked our luggage (and this laptop), took the battery out, and covered the car. I figured I'd take the regulator out in the morning when I found a point file. So I guess you're telling me that it is the cutout relay whose contacts have to be adjusted? Is that right? And if so, are you saying that with too large a contact gap, the electromagnetic coil doesn't have enough pull to close the contacts?

I await your reply (or one from anyone else) with bated breath. No, I think that would be "baited" breath; I had shrimp for dinner tonight.
      Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
      Grantville, PA

Comment

If you need a point file, find a book of matches and use that to clean up the points.

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Thanks Jim. I'll keep that in mind.
          Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
          Grantville, PA

Comment

Alan, I cant say that I fully understand all I know about this but I have to believe this is being caused either by trying to charge a bad battery or jumping the car from 12V. I am sure someone here is going to tell me if I am wrong (and there is a good possibility). At any rate I would think a suitable regulator would be available at better parts stores if not at SI. I would also have the battery tested and check the charging system with a volt meter before going much farther. Also change the duct tape for electrical tape, you could still have a short there if your duct tape is conductive. It just seems like this should be an easy to correct problem and it would be a shame to have to give up on driving the Stude for your adventure. Best of luck, Steve
            sigpic

Comment

unless I'm reading wrong, it appears your charging system is working fine...! After you return the directional handle to neutral, does the amp needle remain on discharge or return to the middle of the gage. If to the middle again..you're system is fine. If once you return the handle to the center and it still discharges, you "might" have a problem.

Comment

Working...
              X