PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rod Studebaker .

aarrggh
07-08-2010, 06:21 PM
http://i27.tinypic.com/j9pt01.jpg

Pat Dilling
07-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Cool! And obviously a winnah!

laughinlark
07-08-2010, 11:01 PM
That's one tough looking Hawk with a 3/4 ton rear end in the back. Got to love the Stude race cars.

Gordon

aarrggh
07-09-2010, 05:29 AM
Another one . . . . . . . !

JRoberts
07-09-2010, 06:01 AM
Does anybody have any details about this car and its driver? I would certainly like to know some of its past history. It looks like it is a hardtop which I find interesting. Of course if that roll bar/cage is a substantial one it might overcome any flexing issues. Great pictures, thanks.

Nelsen Motorsports
07-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Another one . . . . . . . !

I like the bumper.

PackardV8
07-09-2010, 07:36 PM
are we sure it is a hardtop? could be a coupe. take it from someone who has been there, a 120" wheelbase is not the fast way around a short track. that he won with it means he was way better than most.

jack vines

aarrggh
07-10-2010, 04:24 PM
His name is " Frank Sabenak Jr " if that helps in finding more info on car . . .

Pat Dilling
07-10-2010, 07:29 PM
are we sure it is a hardtop? could be a coupe. take it from someone who has been there, a 120" wheelbase is not the fast way around a short track. that he won with it means he was way better than most.

jack vines

I notice that the 56 car has shortened up the wheelbase some compared to the 99.

Pat

tempestan
07-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Pat:

Good catch on the "shortened" wheelbase...I'm sure that there were also some specific efforts to stiffen the frame, too..

tempestan

COMMANDERPINK1
07-10-2010, 10:25 PM
The three quarter ton rear ends were the poor mans floater rearend version, but they were heavy.

Tom

aarrggh
07-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Driver Mike Klein . . .

bridgegaurd
07-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Does anybody have any details about this car and its driver? I would certainly like to know some of its past history. It looks like it is a hardtop which I find interesting. Of course if that roll bar/cage is a substantial one it might overcome any flexing issues. Great pictures, thanks.

It would be neat if someone gathered enough pictures of Stude race cars and made a 2011 Calendar

aarrggh
07-12-2010, 05:48 AM
Studebaker Power !

Bob Andrews
07-12-2010, 03:07 PM
I posted this awhile back; local guy Pistol Pete Corey, a.k.a. the Crescent Cowboy:

http://www.vintagemodifieds.com/pete_corey/3_Stud.jpg

Pete was a real character:) You can read more about him here, including the loss of his leg and what he did about it;):

http://www.vintagemodifieds.com/pete_corey/index.htm

bob40
07-12-2010, 04:08 PM
In the pic aarrggh posted on 7-10 that sure looks like a Charger Daytona wing car.

aarrggh
07-13-2010, 08:41 PM
These are my kinda Studes . . .

Chris_Dresbach
07-13-2010, 10:11 PM
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx323/chris_dresbach/lawn-larkgrille-1.jpg
;)

skyway
07-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Any story to go with the GT car?

aarrggh
07-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Any story to go with the GT car?
Driver is Dick Passwater in the pits . . !

aarrggh
07-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Studebaker wins again . . .
Driver George Parrish . . .

studegary
07-19-2010, 12:44 PM
I posted this awhile back; local guy Pistol Pete Corey, a.k.a. the Crescent Cowboy:

http://www.vintagemodifieds.com/pete_corey/3_Stud.jpg

Pete was a real character:) You can read more about him here, including the loss of his leg and what he did about it;):

http://www.vintagemodifieds.com/pete_corey/index.htm

I wonder why you refer to him as the "Crescent Cowboy" when "Crescent Hillbilly" is painted on the side of the car.

studegary
07-19-2010, 12:49 PM
In the 1960s, I helped a friend build a 1956 Golden Hawk into a stock car for the local track (Arlington, NY). Even with changing the springs, doubling up on heavy duty shock absorbers on the right front, using varied size tires, etc., it wasn't competetive on the oval track - wouldn't turn good enough. He gave up after awhile. The car was probably scraped. After all, it was a decade old Studebaker (Golden Hawk).

On the other hand, I worked on a 1956 Golden Hawk with overdrive that did well in drag racing.

aarrggh
07-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Studebaker Hot Rodding Days . . . Driver Branham

Bob Andrews
07-19-2010, 07:59 PM
I wonder why you refer to him as the "Crescent Cowboy" when "Crescent Hillbilly" is painted on the side of the car.

He was known as both, depending upon where he raced. The name started when his one-time friend, the great Kenny Shoemaker, in a fit of anger called him "you blankety-blank Crescent Hillbilly!!" Pete loved it, and the name stuck. After his retirement, the "Cowboy" tag seemed to get more use. No matter, when Pete walked away from racing, he left the racing world entirely. I don't know many guys with his talent and sheer courage today- he lost a leg in a racing accident in 1959, but came back better than ever, in spite of needing a hand brake. He hollowed out his wooden leg and put a transistor radio in there just to mess with people's heads. Worked for years!

I have to say, it was the fearless showmen/colorful characters like Pete that built my fire to become a driver myself. I still love local racing, but things like insurance regulations have really watered down the "swagger" of the sport. I was blessed to have been a part of the end of those days, and I still hold guys like Pete in high regard.

Here's some info on the Studebaker, from one of Pete's tribute sites:

Corey and friend, Irv Taylor, both drove Falcons at Fonda during most of the 1965 [and some of 1966] season. When the Falcon was destroyed, Corey's clever body skills transformed a 1937 Chevy coupe, lengthened and all to a body that would fit the longer frame left from the Falcon. Then after a brief stay in the coupe, came the strangest creation he ever came up with - the Studebaker. Corey had fitted a 1956 Studebaker body [very sleek but five hundred pounds heavier than the competition] onto a standard racing frame and was doing quite well. The huge car was able to hold its own in the wetter conditions of early season; but, as the track surfaces dried out more in mid-summer, the ark began to struggle. So, characteristically, Pete cut it up.

So now you know... the rest of the story!:)