Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1951 cars - any difference between front and rear bumper shape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 cars - any difference between front and rear bumper shape?

When I compare my front and rear bumpers the front has a sharper bend in the middle. I can tell that in the past it has been bent and a repair has been attempted but I don't think they got it right.

With the exception of the holes for the license plate bracket, are the front and rear bumpers on a 51 supposed to be the same profile, curve etc.? I don't have a chassis manual to consult so I seek the collective wisdom of the forum.

Thanks,

Jim
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

The problem is Jim, the rear is going to have a different part Number than the front because of the difference you noted. So comparing some straight ones off of the car may be the only way to know if they fit.

Often times some years of Stude. bumpers differ front to rear or year to year only by the mounting bracket or Guard holes in the bumper. Different part, different Part Number and no way to know why!

My guess is they are interchangeable if you plug or put 1/4 in. license plate bolts in the holes to put a front on the rear, or drill them for the opposite.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, they are the same shape and will fit front to back (and vice-versa).

Comment

And I think you will find that the bumpers off of a 50 Champion and those off any 52 will be the same as on a 51.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I haven't dealt with this for a long time, but I think the 50 bumper is different.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

(Warning: Thread Hijack)

Hey StudeRich: Didja get my PM asking a similar question about C/K firewalls?

Mahalo

- K

Comment

The '50 COMMANDER bumper is different from the '51-'52.

'50-'52 Champion bumpers and '51-'52 Commander bumpers are the same SHAPE front and rear.

'50 Champion bumper guards are NOT the same as '51-'52 Champion/Commander bumper guards.

'50-'51 ACCESSORY (OEM) front bumper guards (Winguards) are the same but '52 front is different. (Altho, some dealers put '50-'51 ACCESSORY bumper guards on '52s.) '50-'52 rear Winguards are the same.

HOWEVER, there were aftermarket bumper guards for each year and model. Got it?

Good luck!

John

Comment

Thanks for the information everyone.

I asked the question partly to determine how much work it would be to repair and restore my front bumper. It has the tall guards, over-rider with side wings (which I am not particularly fond of) and the centre part appears to have been flattened out in the vertical curve. I also notice that the width (end to end) is narrower that the back bumper so that explains why it is a sharper curve in the horizontal dimension. I think I need to look for a replacement bumper.

Cheers,

Jim
                \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                Jim Mann
                Victoria, B.C.
                Canada

Comment

Originally posted by JGK 940 View Post
                  (Warning: Thread Hijack)
                  Hey StudeRich: Didja get my PM asking a similar question about C/K firewalls?Mahalo- K
                  Yes I did Keoni, it's here:
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...heater-ducting.

On the General Discussion Forum, where it should NOT be of course!

It does not deserve further comment on this topic though.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X