57 Golden Hawk Dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Golden Hawk Dies

Just got the car out for my son's wedding on Friday. I drove it 2-3 blocks and it died. Had it towed home and was thinking ignition. I hooked up timing light and remote starter and it fired up. I let it idle for 5-10 minutes, got in and revved it up a few times. As I let it go to idle and started to roll on the throttle again it burbbled and died. Sounds fuel to me. I noticed it looked like the fuel bowl on the fuel pump looked like a vortex?. Gage shows 1/2 tank of gas.
    Randy

Vapor Lock.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Is there a solution? WE are having hot weather next 3 days. Is it airbox base gasket? Carb to manifold gasket?

Comment

First, electric fuel pump, second return line to tank.

However, vapor lock usually occurs (in hot weather) at a stop light, or after a short 'off' period, such as stopping for a fuel fill-up with the car hot. Not usually with a cold engine.

It happened to me yesterday, after driving a while, I stopped for a small amount of groceries, started up and just got out of the lot. The engine started bogging down, not dead, but struggling. i flipped on the electric pump and it took right off. Air temp about 90 f.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
          However, vapor lock usually occurs (in hot weather) at a stop light, or after a short 'off' period, such as stopping for a fuel fill-up with the car hot.

Stupid quiestion:

Can you get vapor lock with a Fuel Injected engine?
          I had a VW Scirocco in the 80s that would do that on trips when it was hot.
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

JBoyle,
            We are getting off the reservation here but I have owned a half-dozen fuel-injected VWs. My beloved 84 GTI was sold when I got my Studebaker but I still have the tools and gauges to fix Bosch injection systems. Anyway you CAN get vapor lock in this system. To prevent it VW added a fuel pressure accumulator in the fuel line under the body just forward of the fuel pump. This works like the pressure tank on a water well. A spring on a rubber diaphragm is compressed by the fuel pressure. When the car is shut off this keeps pressure on the fuel system for several hours to prevent vapor lock. It was a common failure for the diaphragm to leak and you get hot start problems. One of the advantages of the modern in-tank pumps is that the pump is always in cool liquid fuel so modern cars just run the pump early in the start process to clear out any bubbles.

Comment

Debris, rust ect in the fuel tank in the end of the pick up tube. Has the tank ever been removed and cleaned out? Russ Farris
              1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
              1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Working...
              X