PDA

View Full Version : Eye cabbage: A rotting '58 in the woods.

Chris_Dresbach
07-06-2010, 09:21 PM
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx323/chris_dresbach/woods58.jpg

woodysrods
07-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Looks like it needs to stay there!
Brian

JunkYarDog
07-06-2010, 10:38 PM
This makes me feel so much better about the 57 that's been sitting in my back yard.

silverhawk
07-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Poor thing! If I had THAT one; and the one I had (A tree fell on it instead..) I could have put together one good one! Know any more about it Chris?

56H-Y6
07-07-2010, 06:27 AM
Hi

That poor '58 looks to be a lost cause, but this one isn't!!!

http://nd.craigslist.org/cto/1824835776.html

At this low price, it's affordable even with the shipping!!! GO GET IT, GUYS!!!!!!!

With only 3,570 '58 President sedans built, you'll have the only one at most any show. Heck, even at SDC events!!!!

Steve

Bob Andrews
07-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Boy Steve, that does look cheap! For me, it's one of my least favorites, but somebody must want it for that price. I have to limit my money to cars that turn my crank; might be worth the $1500 or so with shipping it would cost me. Of course, more pictures would be in order to assure the seller's definition is 'Body is solid' and a buyer's are the same...

mbstude
07-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Makes me feel better about the '58 4 door sitting in my back yard... :rolleyes:

bob40
07-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Little over 4 1/2 hours one way from me but I wont be going after it.

Skinnys Garage
07-07-2010, 06:54 PM
That poor '58 looks to be a lost cause, but this one isn't!!! At this low price, it's affordable even with the shipping!!! GO GET IT, GUYS!!!!!!! All right, you talked me into it.:rolleyes:

I'm picking it up tomorrow, so better pics will be coming. It's kind of interesting, I was with my friend when he bought this car at a sale many years ago. I thought about buying it at the time, but a '58 President wasn't high on my "to do" list. After talking to the current owner on the phone, I found out it was the same car, so I was pretty comfortable in buying it over the phone. If I remember right, the forks on the loader at the sale did more damage than rust underneath, but we'll see. Hope my Larks don't get jealous!:cool:

bob40
07-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Was that the sale up by Lidgerwood ND?

Skinnys Garage
07-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Was that the sale up by Lidgerwood ND?No, it's a SD car. The story goes that a collage student was using it to commute between the Mitchell area and Brookings when the motor let go. The car ended up in a salvage yard in Huron. The yard was full of older cars that had been tucked away for years. We went to the auction at it's closing in the 90's.

56H-Y6
07-08-2010, 08:40 AM
No, it's a SD car. The story goes that a collage student was using it to commute between the Mitchell area and Brookings when the motor let go. The car ended up in a salvage yard in Huron. The yard was full of older cars that had been tucked away for years. We went to the auction at it's closing in the 90's.

Hi Skinnys Garage

Yeah!!! Glad to hear you bought the car, hope the motor problem then proves to be minor. I'll be interested to see the pictures when it's home.

If that was a loaded '56-'57 President Classic or '57 Clipper Town Sedan, I would have pursued it.

Hope the car turns out to be a nice driver for you.

Steve

raprice
07-08-2010, 01:11 PM
I think it needs a little work.

Rog

StudeDave57
07-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Have you ever noticed how when trees fall~

they ALWAYS find a way to take out your fins???

What's up with that?

JunkYarDog
07-08-2010, 11:53 PM
I have a 57 Commander Custom 4 door and I've been told several times there was only 481 ever built . All I need is a bunch of money and a new back and I'll be getting right on it. At least it's all there complete so I have no plans on getting rid of it. At only 481 ever built you'd think there would be some resale value there but it's a Studebaker.

It seems like there were more 58's built then 57's maybe it was because of the taking over of Packard. Anyway I like my 57 best there's something about the cheap way they applied the dual headlights in 58 with the bolt on bezels to the 57 fender that really seems awkward to me.

JunkYarDog
07-08-2010, 11:58 PM
I just had a friend get his hands on a 46 ford coupe 100% original all the chrome complete ect. He owned the car some 40+ years ago and never knew it still existed and now after all these years it's back in his yard. It had a tree go across it's roof,.I've been told it's repairable. Its metal is still strong "no rust" but it's nothing I personally would want to tackle.

Skinnys Garage
07-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Here's a pic of the Craigslist '58 President safely at home. Had a good trip, the owner was very nice and had a nice collection of restored cars and trucks (mostly Mopar). It turns out he's also an SDC member and has a nice, bright red '55 President.

I'll give Chris's thread a break and start one for my progress on the '58 as I clean it up. Thanks Steve for the nudge to pursue this car. The wife likes the fins, kind of on the fence about the head lights.....:cool:

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/mytoygarage/1958%20Pres/7a9cba7e.jpg

Bob Andrews
07-09-2010, 04:42 AM
At only 481 ever built you'd think there would be some resale value there but it's a Studebaker.

As we've seen all too often, rarity does not necessarily translate into valuable. By numbers a 62 Impala should be worth much less than a 62 GT since many more were made, but the Impala is worth a lot more than a comparable GT. There's two sides to that coin, though; I was originally attracted to Studes by a funny-looking Lark, since it was a fun contrast to my Lincoln collection. But I got more interested in Studebakers because they're a brand of old car that one can own for much less cash outlay than others. Skinny's 58 is a great example- it stands out from anything else on the road (or at a car show for that matter), but could be had for cheap- price a '58 anything else, you'd be hard pressed to compare to that. So that low value is great all around (until you want to sellhttp://serve.mysmiley.net/sick/sick0002.gif)...

Skinny, sounds like the seller is knowledgeable and realistic. Looking forward to seeing better pictures of it!

there's something about the cheap way they applied the dual headlights in 58 with the bolt on bezels to the 57 fender that really seems awkward to me.

Agreed. I've always thought that had I been in the market in 1958 that would have turned me off immediately. Gives the impression the car was cobbled together (which of course in may ways it was- recycled main tub, early 50s suspension/running gear, etc.). Of course, things like the pods are endearing traits today:)

56H-Y6
07-09-2010, 08:40 AM
I'll give Chris's thread a break and start one for my progress on the '58 as I clean it up. Thanks Steve for the nudge to pursue this car. The wife likes the fins, kind of on the fence about the head lights.....:cool:

Hey Skinny's Garage

You're welcome for the nudge! Actually, I'm glad to think my posting culminated in one more rare and generally disregarded '56-'58 sedan finding an appreciative owner. Hope your experience is positive with this President. Given that you have a '59 Lark Regal, you'll be able to compare and contrast how Studebakers changed in just one year. This comparison would make a nice article for TW.

In terms of style, while the fins and especially pod headlights aren't my most favorite, taken in the context of the times, they're pretty tame compared to contemporaries. But that's what makes that era unique, and in view of our current 'sophisticated' and oh-so-boring styling regimes, it's refreshing.

The best description I've read of the late-'50's - early '60's styling trend was in Motor Trend magazine years ago. Featuring a '59 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible, the phrase used was "the pleasant insanity of innocent excess".
What a perfect descripion!

Steve

55coupe
07-09-2010, 01:41 PM
The differance between that car under tree and then in a driveway after a little cleaning and tires full of air is just another example of I can't belive how good it looks. I would have though that was a rust bucket for sure nice save.

Skinnys Garage
07-09-2010, 03:15 PM
The differance between that car under tree and then in a driveway after a little cleaning........Sorry for the confusion. Mine isn't the car from the trees, it's the one mentioned in the 5th post as a good buy from Craigslist. Although, I have pulled some cars out of the trees and cleaned them up to look pretty good.:cool:

Nelsen Motorsports
07-09-2010, 03:31 PM
I wonder what a 58 Packard Hardtop would look like with 57 Packard headlights and side trim.

55coupe
07-09-2010, 05:07 PM
My mistake some times I pays atention and sometimes I don't.

JunkYarDog
07-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Chances are you can get that back up lens new I got all my lens on the back new from SASCO.

Chris_Dresbach
07-09-2010, 10:36 PM
'58 sedan B/U lens. Part #1312389 from SI. $16ea.