Overdrive questions-1950 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive questions-1950 Champion

After hooking up the overdrive today I took the car down the road and it didn't work. The car was in free wheeling but standard gears. When I pressed the accelerator down, the engine would stop so I think that I have at least part of it right. I studied the pictures and the flow chart for determining the problem but didn't figure out anything for sure. Hoping a night of rest will help me in the morning to notice something.

Any suggestions for what to try will be greatly appreciated!
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Apparently your solenoid isn't engaging. There could be several reasons, including: bad solenoid, bad o/d relay, bad cut-out (?) switch, or just a bad wire somewhere. Good luck, this system can be frustrating to troubleshoot. There is a "decision tree" diagram in the transmission (back) section of the service manual that might be helpful.
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

Comment

Sounds like you might have the two wires on the solenoid on the wrong screws. That would prevent the solenoid from engaging, and when the accelerator is fully depressed, it would ground out the point via the pull-in coil of the solenoid.

If swapping the wires fails to correct the problem, jack the car up, and put secure stands under it. Connect a wire to the hot side of the battery, and lead it under the car. Disconnect both wires from the solenoid, and briefly touch your "hot" wire to each solenoid stud in turn. One stud should produce no action at all; the other should cause the solenoid to give a loud click. That stud is the one which you should connect to the OD relay. The other stud is to be connected to the kickdown switch. If neither stud produces any action when touched by a hot wire, then your solenoid is bad.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord-

Thanks so much for your detailed information. I tried following the diagnostic chart in the manual but wasn't sure if I was doing it right and ran into one situation which the chart didn't address, so after that I didn't have much confidence in what I was doing. Again, I really appreciate your taking the time to try to help me. Well, off to the shop!!!

Sincerely,
        Jim
        sigpicJimmie
        Orange County, Indiana
        1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

Working...
        X