Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures, or Links? Your Preference?

(Just thinking out loud)....

Since a lot of forum readers are on slower connections....
    How many threads get passed by because they have pictures in them (and take forever to download)?

I spoke to a Stude guy at a show and he said he rarely goes to the SDC forum 'only' because every time he clicks on a thread it pretty much slows his computer to a crawl.

That's kind of sad in a way.
    Sort of like driving a prewar Studebaker in an expressway world.

I'd suggest a poll, but hardly anyone has answered the poll that's up there now...
    (300 some replies, and how many of those are duplicates?)..

What do you think?
    Would it be better to post pic links for the slower guys and gals.
    (remember, just thinkin'......)
    Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
    Brooklet, Georgia
    '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
    '61 Hawk (project)
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

I perfer photo's myself but I am not on dail-up so I am not slowed down. but I do have a suggestion for the problem. When createing a new topic and you know you are going to be putting photo's up for others to see put a warning in the title. Example: Lark Update-Warning Photo's. Just a thought, Ive seen it done on other forums. Maybe it would work here as well. [^]

Randy_G

Comment

I perfer photo's myself but I am not on dail-up so I am not slowed down. but I do have a suggestion for the problem. When createing a new topic and you know you are going to be putting photo's up for others to see put a warning in the title. Example: Lark Update-Warning Photo's. Just a thought, Ive seen it done on other forums. Maybe it would work here as well. [^]

Randy_G

Comment

I am probably the biggest offender. I just love pictures and I like seeing them on the thread rather than going to a link. I also have high speed internet, so it is easy for me to view pictures. I try to post my pictures at a low resolution so they will be easier for the dial up guys, and if I remember, I turn off my signature pics if I reply more than once.

I have always loved taking pictures. Even as a kid I took pictures with our old Kodak Brownie camera. That is why I still have all the pictures of our Studebakers. I used to be the company photographer (among other things) at the manufacturing plant where I used to work, and I carry my camera with me all the time.

Having said that, I would be willing to stop posting so many pictures, if it is keeping people from joining in on the discussion.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I am probably the biggest offender. I just love pictures and I like seeing them on the thread rather than going to a link. I also have high speed internet, so it is easy for me to view pictures. I try to post my pictures at a low resolution so they will be easier for the dial up guys, and if I remember, I turn off my signature pics if I reply more than once.

I have always loved taking pictures. Even as a kid I took pictures with our old Kodak Brownie camera. That is why I still have all the pictures of our Studebakers. I used to be the company photographer (among other things) at the manufacturing plant where I used to work, and I carry my camera with me all the time.

Having said that, I would be willing to stop posting so many pictures, if it is keeping people from joining in on the discussion.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I agree with Len. I also have a high speed connection, however.

Pictures like Len posts really make this site (IMHO). It wouldn't be the same if the pictures weren't right there with the text.

Wait 'till the streaming video starts popping up automatically when a post is opened [:0].

There must be some magic forum software out there that gives members a "pictures/no pictures" option. If "no pictures" just the link to the pictures would appear in the post.

We can probably still do a better job of smaller pictures and not repeating them when we respond to a post.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree with Len. I also have a high speed connection, however.

Pictures like Len posts really make this site (IMHO). It wouldn't be the same if the pictures weren't right there with the text.

Wait 'till the streaming video starts popping up automatically when a post is opened [:0].

There must be some magic forum software out there that gives members a "pictures/no pictures" option. If "no pictures" just the link to the pictures would appear in the post.

We can probably still do a better job of smaller pictures and not repeating them when we respond to a post.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Now that I agree with..
                Trim the pic's off the replies...
                I try to snip off my profile in all subsequent responses.
                It's kind of redundant anyways
                If I remember, I try to snip the relevant part of a post that I am replying to. Not to misquote, but to keep it brief.
                Also try to make the original post a smaller font size.
                Nitpicking maybe, but easier to read.
                On the (gasp) Usenet forum, it is courteous to put (pic) in the header if there is a pic.
                On this forum, it is rare to not have a pic
                And I do like pic's
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
                <snip>

We can probably still do a better job of smaller pictures and not repeating them when we respond to a post.[/br]

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Now that I agree with..
                  Trim the pic's off the replies...
                  I try to snip off my profile in all subsequent responses.
                  It's kind of redundant anyways
                  If I remember, I try to snip the relevant part of a post that I am replying to. Not to misquote, but to keep it brief.
                  Also try to make the original post a smaller font size.
                  Nitpicking maybe, but easier to read.
                  On the (gasp) Usenet forum, it is courteous to put (pic) in the header if there is a pic.
                  On this forum, it is rare to not have a pic
                  And I do like pic's
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
                  <snip>

We can probably still do a better job of smaller pictures and not repeating them when we respond to a post.[/br]

Jeff

Comment

If you use firefox, there's a plug-in that allows you to disable pictures at certain sites. The downside is that it disables ALL pictures at that site.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it's not just pictures being posted that slow folks down, but also signature images. Even without posting a single picture in this thread, there's already about 120kb of picture data, which would add 3 or 4 seconds time to a page load for dial up in and of itself. A while back I helped moderate a forum, and we didn't allow pictures larger than 10k in our signature files for that very reason.

Personally though, I live in a very rural area, literally with 10 miles of farm land in any direction. Despite this, thanks to 21st century innovation, even I still have high speed internet service, and it's not all that much more expensive than the $20-30 most dialup services charge per month. With the ever-growing use of bandwidth, and more and more people posting videos and other mega-sized files, it might very well be time for some of the dial-up folks to consider going to high speed service. You almost definitely have it in your area, and even if you don't, satellite offers high-speed service to it's users as well.

I totally understand the mentality of not upgrading something if it works. That's why there's a 50 year old car in my garage awaiting it's rebirth. Still, dial up is on the verge of being obsolete, and I'm not really in favor of holding this forum back in 1997 when it's currently 2007. But that's just me. I say post pictures.

--------
                    Restoring my grandfather's '60 Lark, one rusted bolt at a time.

Maple Lake, Minnesota
                    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

If you use firefox, there's a plug-in that allows you to disable pictures at certain sites. The downside is that it disables ALL pictures at that site.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it's not just pictures being posted that slow folks down, but also signature images. Even without posting a single picture in this thread, there's already about 120kb of picture data, which would add 3 or 4 seconds time to a page load for dial up in and of itself. A while back I helped moderate a forum, and we didn't allow pictures larger than 10k in our signature files for that very reason.

Personally though, I live in a very rural area, literally with 10 miles of farm land in any direction. Despite this, thanks to 21st century innovation, even I still have high speed internet service, and it's not all that much more expensive than the $20-30 most dialup services charge per month. With the ever-growing use of bandwidth, and more and more people posting videos and other mega-sized files, it might very well be time for some of the dial-up folks to consider going to high speed service. You almost definitely have it in your area, and even if you don't, satellite offers high-speed service to it's users as well.

I totally understand the mentality of not upgrading something if it works. That's why there's a 50 year old car in my garage awaiting it's rebirth. Still, dial up is on the verge of being obsolete, and I'm not really in favor of holding this forum back in 1997 when it's currently 2007. But that's just me. I say post pictures.

--------
                      Restoring my grandfather's '60 Lark, one rusted bolt at a time.

Maple Lake, Minnesota
                      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by somecallmejim

If you use firefox, there's a plug-in that allows you to disable pictures at certain sites.
                        I think Jim has the solution here.

It actually isn't a plug in...it's just an "option"

With Mozilla Firefox, click on "Tools", then "Options", then uncheck "Load Images Automatically". Presto...no images!

I think this is a lot better option for those that can't (or won't) get a high speed connection than penalizing the majority of the membership.

I believe Mozilla Firefox is still free, so it fits right in with our Studebaker culture .

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by somecallmejim

If you use firefox, there's a plug-in that allows you to disable pictures at certain sites.
                          I think Jim has the solution here.

It actually isn't a plug in...it's just an "option"

With Mozilla Firefox, click on "Tools", then "Options", then uncheck "Load Images Automatically". Presto...no images!

I think this is a lot better option for those that can't (or won't) get a high speed connection than penalizing the majority of the membership.

I believe Mozilla Firefox is still free, so it fits right in with our Studebaker culture .

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I endorse the views expressed by Dick and Jeff above. To reduce downloading time, I generally try to remember to snip off all extraneous material when quoting a previous post.

To respond to Jeff's original query, I think it would be very handy to have a warning about a lot of photos in a posting. I call in from a couple of locations, one of which has high-speed internet and one of which does not. When I'm on dial-up, I'm very careful about which topics to click on. Once I see that a topic has attracted 10 or 15 responses, I skip over it unless I'm SURE I have something useful to contribute. Even though all of the postings may be text, it's likely that someone will have posted some pix and it'll just take too d___ long to download.[xx(]

I enjoy the pix (when I can see them!) but since I'm a certified curmudgeon (grump, grouse, grumble), I can't help but express the view that not all of it always adds to understanding the issue being discussed.

Skip Lackie
                            Washington DC
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

I endorse the views expressed by Dick and Jeff above. To reduce downloading time, I generally try to remember to snip off all extraneous material when quoting a previous post.

To respond to Jeff's original query, I think it would be very handy to have a warning about a lot of photos in a posting. I call in from a couple of locations, one of which has high-speed internet and one of which does not. When I'm on dial-up, I'm very careful about which topics to click on. Once I see that a topic has attracted 10 or 15 responses, I skip over it unless I'm SURE I have something useful to contribute. Even though all of the postings may be text, it's likely that someone will have posted some pix and it'll just take too d___ long to download.[xx(]

I enjoy the pix (when I can see them!) but since I'm a certified curmudgeon (grump, grouse, grumble), I can't help but express the view that not all of it always adds to understanding the issue being discussed.

Skip Lackie
                              Washington DC
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X