PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker vs Tree

aarrggh
07-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Yeah :: They both lost !

Chris Pile
07-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Looks like the pickup hasn't yielded completely to the tree.

tbredehoft
07-04-2010, 03:17 PM
That is one stout tree.

Turbopackman
07-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Looks like a new take on the old saying "three on the tree", more like "one under the tree"...

PsychoBob
07-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Chris was right, the pickup didn't yield to the tree. That happened in 1998 at Kliment Brothers Studebaker in Forest Hills, PA. That tree was burned up for firewood long ago, but here's the same truck two years later...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/psycho_bob/Igor-2.jpg
I still have Igor, right now he's dismantled and in the middle of a better restoration/reconstruction. He'll be back on the road soon, this time in the Kliment Bros. signature white and red, with the doors lettered. I'm also getting rid of the six lug breakdown wheels in favor of five lug tubeless wheels via front and rear axles from an R series half ton.

62champ
07-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Huh, I bet the tree had actually been loaded onto the truck to be hauled away - someone took a photo thinking it would look pretty cool...

Bob Andrews
07-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Chris was right, the pickup didn't yield to the tree. That happened in 1998 at Kliment Brothers Studebaker in Forest Hills, PA. That tree was burned up for firewood long ago, but here's the same truck two years later...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/psycho_bob/Igor-2.jpg
I still have Igor, right now he's dismantled and in the middle of a better restoration/reconstruction. He'll be back on the road soon, this time in the Kliment Bros. signature white and red, with the doors lettered. I'm also getting rid of the six lug breakdown wheels in favor of five lug tubeless wheels via front and rear axles from an R series half ton.

In light of that picture, coolest "rest of the story" ever! Great save Psycho!

PsychoBob
07-05-2010, 01:22 PM
In this case, RUST actually SAVED the truck! If the cab mounts had been solid, the roof would have definitely caved in more and blown out the windshield, and also bent the pillars. But what actually happened was the floor pans (which needed replaced anyway) bent around the frame and took up most of the impact instead. Also, the entire front clip was rotted so badly that the tree really didn't damage anything that was any good in the first place, except the straight axle. I was told by quite a few people when I got the truck that I should have just scrapped it, but I couldn't. If I just wanted a Studebaker truck, I would definitely have looked for a better one. But I wanted THAT one, the truck that I had first seen riding past Kliments' when I was four years old and it was still in use. When the tree crushed it, I went over to kind of say goodbye to it, I figured it was a goner. That's when I noticed that if I'd remove the rusted out body panels, all I'd have left from the tree was a dented roof. I decided right then that it needed to come back.

rockinhawk
07-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Sir, You are to be commended. Never give up on a Studebaker!! NT

crusadex
07-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Knowing Studebakers i'd say the tree ran in terror:P

65cruiser
07-06-2010, 06:49 AM
How about a Studebaker UP a tree?

http://www.65cruiser.com/images/stude_tree.jpg