looking for 63 gt hawk automatic speedometer cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for 63 gt hawk automatic speedometer cable

Need 63 gt automatic speedometer cable, have checked the usual vendors, but no one seems to have this cable, the best bet may be parts car. It's not in SI catalog but they are looking. let me know if you have one to sell or know where i can get one.

Do you have an overall length measurment for the cable assembly?? I have several used ones.

Dan Miller
    Auburn, GA

Comment

it is 65 1/2 inches give or take a quarter inch. the pinion has 19 teeth, if that makes any differnce. Thanks Ken , Deltaville Va
      Originally posted by ROADRACELARK View Post
      Do you have an overall length measurment for the cable assembly?? I have several used ones.

Dan Miller
      Auburn, GA

Comment

Ken,

What is the part number are you looking for?

The 59 to 64 Studebaker chassis parts catalog shows a 63 GT (K-body) V8 to use a "shaft w/core" part number 1544768 (assuming I'm reading it right). This part number is listed on page 290 of the 2010 SI catalog. I'll admit that $75 seems a little pricey, but if you shop around you should be able to find one for less than that. If it's just the inner core you need that is shown as part number 1544772 and that is listed on page 289 of the SI catalog.
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
          Ken,

What is the part number are you looking for?

The 59 to 64 Studebaker chassis parts catalog shows a 63 GT (K-body) V8 to use a "shaft w/core" part number 1544768 (assuming I'm reading it right). This part number is listed on page 290 of the 2010 SI catalog. I'll admit that $75 seems a little pricey, but if you shop around you should be able to find one for less than that. If it's just the inner core you need that is shown as part number 1544772 and that is listed on page 289 of the SI catalog.
          thanks, i still have not heard back from SI, when i think of a speedo cable it would include the shaft, core and pinion, in my case its's a 19 tooth pinion

Comment

Ken,

Sorry, of the 5 speedo cables assemblies I have aren't even close to 65". I would think a "old-time" speedometer repair shop could "build" you one.

Dan Miller
            Auburn, GA

Comment

Originally posted by ROADRACELARK View Post
              Ken,

Sorry, of the 5 speedo cables assemblies I have aren't even close to 65". I would think a "old-time" speedometer repair shop could "build" you one.

Dan Miller
              Auburn, GA
              Dan, thanks, found a shop out west that can rebuild speedo cable, time and cost are problems but i may have to go that route, ken, deltaville, va

Comment

Ken always remember that Studebaker sold all of their Parts INDIVIDUALLY, unless not practical or a special high demand for a difficult to assemble Assembly existed, or the fasteners were always needed, they are by the each, NOTHING included. This saves the owner lots of money, not having to buy uneeded parts.

On Speedo. Cables they did offer an option as mentioned, housing and Core or Core only, a Pinion gear is different for each tire size, axle ratio and Engine/Transmission combo, so it would be way awkward to offer a different Assembly for each, dozens of them when only one of three pieces are needed and the other two are all the same for each model! I can't imagine ANYONE doing that!

Anyway I don't understand someone telling you they are not available, the 1544768 should be in stock, or for sure the 1544772 as Dan Peterson said.

If you order by part number you should never have that problem.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 07-05-2010, 12:22 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X