Dumb Question Time..Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Question Time..Again

The '61 Lark VIII arrived tonight from Ohio. I haven't had time to really go over it yet, since it's after midnight here(driver got delayed due to heavy snow and rough holiday traffic), but so far, everything looks good. The inside is immaculate and very comfortable(I had to drive it a short piece from where it could be unloaded to the garage), and it runs beautifully. It appears to have a new exhaust system and muffler. All the lights, dimmer switch, and turn signals work, and it's surprisingly easy to turn and handle for a car that I don't think has power steering. Somebody has added after-market cruise control, which I haven't had time to check out to see if it works, but the dealership had overlooked that option. The AC blows COLD air(which we don't need right now with temperatures in the twenties)and the heat blows nice and toasty. There are a few little chips in the paint, mainly along the front fenders and edge of the hood, the usual places for small rocks and other road debris to hit, so I've got to touch those up, and the plastic covers for the taillights have some cracks on the sides, and the cigarette lighter is missing, as well as the radio antenna(it has aftermarket AM-FM Cassette stereo) so those are some minor things I will have to deal with, along with having lap belts installed just for my own security, whatever it's worth. I know a guy in Graham, NC, who has a property full of literally hundreds of Studes, of various makes and models, including many Larks, so I shouldn't have any trouble finding replacement stock parts, like the lighter or taillight covers.

Now, here's the dumb question-actually two of 'em. First, the biggest one-can this car use regular unleaded gasoline? The '51 I have has to run on Premium(thank goodness it's a straight six), but I hadn't considered this one's requirements. The engine is orignal and has been rebuilt, if that helps any. The dealership left just enough gas in the tank to load and unload it, and maybe make it to a little country store about two-three miles down the road, but that store only sells regular unleaded. Also, what type oil, in terms of weight and so forth, is recommended for this car? I'm planning on making it a semi-daily driver, to take some of the pressure off my 11-year-old RAV-4, which has nearly 300K miles on it.

The second dumb question is about two features in the trunk. Along each side wall of the trunk there are these impressions, that appear to have been designed to hold a jack or something. What are those for? If they were made to hold a jack, why two of 'em? There is a jack with the car, that is bolted down with a wing-nut on top of the spare tire, but it's not the kind that would fit in those impressions.

pitbulllady

Regular unleaded will be fine in the '61...in fact it is more fine in the '51. I think the '51 has about a 7 to 1 compression ratio. No need to even think about premium in that for sure.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Regular unleaded will be fine in the '61...in fact it is more fine in the '51. I think the '51 has about a 7 to 1 compression ratio. No need to even think about premium in that for sure.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Impressions in the trunk sides? Cross-shaped, maybe? Probably just stiffening ribs pressed into the panels so they won't drum going down the road.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Impressions in the trunk sides? Cross-shaped, maybe? Probably just stiffening ribs pressed into the panels so they won't drum going down the road.

Comment

Congrats on your new acquisition! Sounds like a GREAT little car! [^]

As Dick said both of your cars should run fine on Regular fuel, especially the '51. If not, a proper tune-up is required.

Most of us starting just this year, are using the Diesel Rated oils; Chevron Delo 400 or Shell Rotella "T" engine oil. In your climate you probably want 15W-40 in that rebuilt engine. All of the good ol' standards we used to use, have now had the wear protection additives removed because of "environmental" issues and modern engines do not have flat tappets like our's do.

quote:Originally posted by pitbulllady

The '61 Lark VIII arrived tonight from Ohio.[CUT] Also, what type oil, in terms of weight and so forth, is recommended for this car?
            StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Congrats on your new acquisition! Sounds like a GREAT little car! [^]

As Dick said both of your cars should run fine on Regular fuel, especially the '51. If not, a proper tune-up is required.

Most of us starting just this year, are using the Diesel Rated oils; Chevron Delo 400 or Shell Rotella "T" engine oil. In your climate you probably want 15W-40 in that rebuilt engine. All of the good ol' standards we used to use, have now had the wear protection additives removed because of "environmental" issues and modern engines do not have flat tappets like our's do.

quote:Originally posted by pitbulllady

The '61 Lark VIII arrived tonight from Ohio.[CUT] Also, what type oil, in terms of weight and so forth, is recommended for this car?
              StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Don't forget the only Dumb Question is the one not asked. Good luck with your car it sounds nice.

John Clements
                Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                Lockleys South Australia
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Don't forget the only Dumb Question is the one not asked. Good luck with your car it sounds nice.

John Clements
                  Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                  Lockleys South Australia
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

OH what I wouldn't give for my lark to be in that condition right now!

I was told by a Studebaker guy locally that unleaded would probably be just fine, but that if I were paranoid about it, the auto parts store sells a lead additive to "convert" your gas from unleaded to "regular"

Oil? THE only oil my Lark needs right now is WD-40, and lots of it!

--------
                    Restoring my grandfather's '60 Lark, one rusted bolt at a time.

Maple Lake, Minnesota
                    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

OH what I wouldn't give for my lark to be in that condition right now!

I was told by a Studebaker guy locally that unleaded would probably be just fine, but that if I were paranoid about it, the auto parts store sells a lead additive to "convert" your gas from unleaded to "regular"

Oil? THE only oil my Lark needs right now is WD-40, and lots of it!

--------
                      Restoring my grandfather's '60 Lark, one rusted bolt at a time.

Maple Lake, Minnesota
                      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

It's running great on regular unleaded, and I put in 10W-30 oil, which is what I run in my Toyota, and haven't had any problems so far. The engine just starts right up. The car handles really well, though I've got to seriously watch my right foot, since I'm not used to anything with a V-8 and this car is one of those that you can be doing 80 in, and it just doesn't feel like you're going that fast! I feel naked without safety belts, though, so getting a set of those installed is going to be a priority! I'll get some pics of the car up later today, though it's almost too cold to do anything outside right now-hard to believe it's April!

pitbulllady

Comment

It's running great on regular unleaded, and I put in 10W-30 oil, which is what I run in my Toyota, and haven't had any problems so far. The engine just starts right up. The car handles really well, though I've got to seriously watch my right foot, since I'm not used to anything with a V-8 and this car is one of those that you can be doing 80 in, and it just doesn't feel like you're going that fast! I feel naked without safety belts, though, so getting a set of those installed is going to be a priority! I'll get some pics of the car up later today, though it's almost too cold to do anything outside right now-hard to believe it's April!

pitbulllady

Comment

Sharon, please re-read my prior post, the damage to the camshaft and valve lifters is not going to be something that you would notice when first drive the car, it's a slow process of ruining these parts, but trust me, it IS real![xx(] Most Parts Stores that sell you the oil do not know yet of this NEW 2007 development in ALL the Automotive engine oils making them useless in older flat tappet engines, or they do not care enough to mention it, since the Oil Co's haven't either. I think it is mainly because 95% of their customers drive 2000 or newer cars and it's fine for those, like your Toyota! [xx(]

I, and the other Studebaker Parts vendors at studebakervendors.com have the "Studebaker" seat belts in several colors in stock, I think yours would be a tan interior. I still get only $30.00 a pair (person).

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sharon, please re-read my prior post, the damage to the camshaft and valve lifters is not going to be something that you would notice when first drive the car, it's a slow process of ruining these parts, but trust me, it IS real![xx(] Most Parts Stores that sell you the oil do not know yet of this NEW 2007 development in ALL the Automotive engine oils making them useless in older flat tappet engines, or they do not care enough to mention it, since the Oil Co's haven't either. I think it is mainly because 95% of their customers drive 2000 or newer cars and it's fine for those, like your Toyota! [xx(]

I, and the other Studebaker Parts vendors at studebakervendors.com have the "Studebaker" seat belts in several colors in stock, I think yours would be a tan interior. I still get only $30.00 a pair (person).

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X