X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More info found on the "Turtle"

Pet Turtle...
    I found some new pics:

Now for the news update. At the bottom of one of the photos there is some engineering notes. This one was photographed 10/4/1962 at the proving ground and was design #EX-150733. The one photographed was also the THIRD DHSIGN. That means that there were two prorotypes built before it (i.e. mine) but this was the only one tested. Unfortunately, there are no "early" photos of the turtle being designed/built or blueprints. This turtle that was tested had a hydro static tranny and was powered by a 2 cycle engine.

This is my theory as to why mine was replaced by this Turtle: Mine has horrible steering, so they changed it to what the one in the photo has. Mine is also not self propelled and has no place for an engine. With a load of cargo, my cart would be extremely heavy to manually phush over anything but flat ground. Mine also dosen't have any form of a hull, so it would sink... On the other hand, my cart is close to the same size as this tested turtle. Mine is also light weight and close to the same weight as the Turtle tested. So I figure that my cart must have been design #1, or #2. Ok, what are your thoughts?
    Chris Dresbach

Okay, I thought when I FIRST saw this way back (your prototype) that it was some sort of (engineering) joke, but as time goes on and more surfaces especially these latest Ex pictures, it makes more and more sense. It seems that yours might have been a first attempt to see how soft floating wheels and a central steering link would behave without the distraction of a hull, or an engine--ie pulled through the water tank. The idea LOOKS okay, and with a small engine driving four equal wheels, perhaps with the hydrostatic transmission/pump as mentioned, with balloon tractor-style tires for grip and flotation through water, slurry and mud, it might have worked, especially if some of the possible hydrostatic pressure helped with the steering effort. Somehow, though, the later effort in the pictures doesn't look like it would work all that well. Cockshutt tractors were a menace with the small steering wheels together up front, and its the same reason ATVs have gone from three to four wheels, for stability. I wonder about the usage of #3 then; not as a person+stuff carrying thing, but more of a powered "little red wagon", with someone externally steering it??? No, because then it makes little sense. But with a person aboard, it would have stability issues. If they had kept the central link for moderate four wheel steering, and had four equal tires all powered, it would have been something quite modern in the ATV line. More interesting as it goes on...

Comment

Looks as if Studebaker was going back to it roots, Wheelbarrows, only motorize. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
        Pet Turtle...
        On the other hand, my cart is close to the same size as this tested turtle. Mine is also light weight and close to the same weight as the Turtle tested. So I figure that my cart must have been design #1, or #2. Ok, what are your thoughts?
        Keep up the good work! To be honest, this is the first I've seen of anything on the Turtle since that reprinted ad in TW in 1979. Did you get those photos from the archives? If so, there must be some essays on file of its development stages that lead up to 'Turtle #3'. It would possibly explain the foam wheels and central U-joint, and would confirm if yours is a development 'mule' for lack of a better term.

Craig

Comment

My guess is that yours might be the first design and used as a proof of concept rig for the chassis and center pivot/hinge layout, so there may not have been a need at that early time to mount an engine. That would come later after they figured out the basic chassis configuration.

Make sense?
          I could very well be full of water here...but that's a guess.

At least with the photo with Marines, it's clear that it wasn't designed as a moon buggy...especially with a two cycle engine!
          That is IF they were built for the same project.
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Last edited by Welcome; 07-02-2010, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Looking good Chris! Keep it up; I agree that you will find it soon!
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                Keep up the good work! To be honest, this is the first I've seen of anything on the Turtle since that reprinted ad in TW in 1979. Did you get those photos from the archives? If so, there must be some essays on file of its development stages that lead up to 'Turtle #3'. It would possibly explain the foam wheels and central U-joint, and would confirm if yours is a development 'mule' for lack of a better term.

Craig
                Yes, these photos were in the archives. Appearently, these were also ALL the photos on it. I'm not sure if there is anything written about it or not. I know for sure there was at one time, but a lot of it got destroyed in 1964. Ill send Andy an email.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Great detective work Chris! You may very well be on the right track. Your updates are interesting; at some point someone will run across them or hear about them and know the real story behind it. Don't give up, or let the naysayers deter you!

Comment

I was talking to a friend of mine in my chapter. Said a former engineer who may have worked on this thing moved to California, then back here to Elkhart Indiana (Just below SB). I will give him a call sometime soon. His name is Larry Moyer. Anybody know him?
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

I think this machine is pretty cool and one of those odd ball projects that's fun to read about as the story unravels.

However the first thought that comes to mind.

Portable tub filled with ice and drinks for a meet/show of leisure.

And most practicle...Cement Kart ....ever see those carts that haul cement to your back yard when the mixer can't drive thorugh a narrow access.
                      Studebaker was just ahead of it's time once again.

http://www.joebuiltwheelbarrow.com/ (East Troy Wisconsin)

Muck Truck
                      Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 07-11-2010, 08:00 AM. Reason: to add pictures, scary resemblance
                      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Ha! Wow, if only Studebaker knew... All the Turtle would need is a way to dump the bed and they could be sold as farm exuipment! I can't believe how similar that first one is to the Turtle.
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                          Ha! Wow, if only Studebaker knew... I can't believe how similar that first one is to the Turtle.
                          I agree.....
                          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bams50 View Post
                            Great detective work Chris! You may very well be on the right track. Your updates are interesting; at some point someone will run across them or hear about them and know the real story behind it. Don't give up, or let the naysayers deter you!
                            Chris, I have to agree with BAMs - where are the naysayers now? Waiting for their crow to be served well done?!?!

Comment

Well....
                              I still want to see some info to this particular item.
                              I admire the quest Chris is on, and wish him well.
                              But I have not seen anything solid from Studebaker about this particular 'vehicle'.
                              Chris is doing it right.. Share what you know and learn. That's cool.
                              But care should be taken not to jump to conclusions just because you want them to fit.
                              If that makes me a naysayer...so be it.
                              But I have said nothing to deter anyone... In fact, just the opposite.
                              I would love to see the facts discovered about this 'vehicle'... Moon, or military, or manufacturing...
                              Detective work can be dull and boring and tedious....of fun.
                              I vote for the fun part
                              Jeff

Originally posted by HookedonStudies View Post
                              Chris, I have to agree with BAMs - where are the naysayers now? Waiting for their crow to be served well done?!?!
                              Originally Posted by bams50
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X